Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Lushcrush » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:09 am

34=Sweetness wrote:
josebach wrote:
Lushcrush wrote:
josebach wrote:
Homeless wrote::,-(

Its only going to get worse.

This may sound out there, but I really think that sooner or later the planet will do something to either get rid of us or at least lower our numbers to the point that we stop destroying the planet. Look at the population explosion the last 100 years. In 1900, there was roughly 1 billion people on the planet. By 2000, there was 6 billion and by 2012 or so, there's expected to be 7 billion. We obviously can't keep going at this pace.

It's only a matter of time until the human Ebola virus mutates into an airborne variant and when it does we'll all be gone before you know it.
So ... no worries mate 8-o

That'll help me sleep tonight, thanks for that! ;-D

Actually, the Avian flu is probably more likely to hit us first. It could be just a mutation or two away from being transmitable between humans. 50% of those infected so far have died.

In countries like Turkey and China, who aren't exactly known for their world-renowned medical system. At most, the deaths would struggle to surpass Spanish Influenza in 1918, which killed about 20 million people. Thats not even close to make a dent in the world population. We've progressed too far in terms of medical technology for a disease to make a significant dent, like the bubonic plague did in the 13th and 14th century. Your best hope would be HIV/AIDS, and even that is becoming less deadly. Probably nothing short of nuclear war is going to make a huge dent in the population.

I am not a doctor nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night ... but I do have an interest in microbes. It is my understanding that Ebola is transmitted by contact with fluids of an infected person. Ebola causes bleeding out ... through ears, nose, mouth, and other orifices and projectile vomiting. Doctors use barrier methods to avoid contamination. The nastier strains have death rate of about 9 out of 10. There is no cure for Ebola.
If the Ebola virus mutates into a form that is tranmitted by airborne particles intead of body fluids, I think you have that nuclear bomb you mentioned.
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moonhead » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:11 pm

i use only organic products. and i recycle everything. even used toilet paper. i have a compost pile in my yard. i only eat organic cow and buffalo, and homegrown veggies and fruits.

but i smoke lots of cigarettes and drink whiskey every day. drive a car 1.6 miles to work and never take the bus or carpool.

i have some work to do before i am a righteous hippie. when i am a righteous hippie, then i will point fingers and lay blame.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby mutantseabass » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:40 pm

moonhead wrote:i use only organic products. and i recycle everything. even used toilet paper. i have a compost pile in my yard. i only eat organic cow and buffalo, and homegrown veggies and fruits.

but i smoke lots of cigarettes and drink whiskey every day. drive a car 1.6 miles to work and never take the bus or carpool.

i have some work to do before i am a righteous hippie. when i am a righteous hippie, then i will point fingers and lay blame.

The thing is you are doing 10 times more then most americans are right now. IF everyone decided to do one thing no matter the size to help save the environment things would be alot better for our kids kids. No one seems to care because we will not see the effects of our actions in our lifetimes. I guess your views change alot when you have kids though. A big ;-D to you Moon for doing your part!

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby defianthart » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:59 pm

for those arguing about global warming... i just read a book by michael crichton(author of jurassic park, sphere, and congo) called [u]state of fear[/c] which talks about the subject of global warming. it is incredibly interesting and i have definitely changed my mind about how much of global warming is really humanity's fault and how much of the "evidence" of global warming is really true or how many facts arent manipulated for a cause.
[u]Vince Lombardi Dynasty League(cafe)[/u]
Coweta Dirty Birds: Runner-Up

[u]The Chosen Dynasty League(money)[/u]
Zoso's Ringers: Champs
defianthart
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to General Talk