Rebuttal to life in the 50's for generation x - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Rebuttal to life in the 50's for generation x

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rebuttal to life in the 50's for generation x

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:02 am

"The 80's" thread reminded me of this:

Rebuttal to life in the 50's for the generation X

When I was a kid adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning uphill both ways through year 'round blizzards carrying their younger siblings on their backs to their one-room schoolhouse where they maintained a straight-A average despite their full-time after-school job at the local textile mill where they worked for 35 cents an hour just to help keep their family from starving to death! And I remember promising myself that when I grew up there was no way in Hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But....
Now that I've reached my thirties, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so damn easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a darned Utopia! And I hate to say it but you kids today you don't even know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet - if we wanted to know something, we had to go to the library and look it up ourselves!

And there was no email! We had to actually write somebody a letter with a pen! - and then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there!

And there were no MP3s or Napsters! You wanted to steal music, you had to go to the record store and shoplift it yourself! Try sticking an LP Album under your jacket, buddy!

Or we had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the beginning and screw it all up!

You want to hear about hardship? We didn't have fancy stuff like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called, they got a busy signal!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID Boxes either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was - it could be your boss, your mom, a collections agent, your drug dealer - you didn't know!!! You just had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

And we didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation videogames with
high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like "Space Invaders" and "Asteroids," and the graphics sucked! Your guy was a little square! You had to use your imagination! And there were no multiple levels or screens - it was just one screen forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and faster until you died!

Just like LIFE!

When you went to the movie theater there no such thing as stadium seating! All the seats were the same height! If a tall guy sat in front of you, you were screwed!

And sure, we had cable television, but back then that was only like 20 channels and there was no onscreen menu! You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on!

And there was no Cartoon Network! You could only get cartoons on Saturday morning... ... D'ya hear what the hell I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK, you spoiled little bastards!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy!

You're spoiled, I swear to God! You guys wouldn't last five minutes back in the 80's!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:36 am

Totally true...technology is crazy like that. That was only 20 years ago, and things are very different.

I woke up at 6:00 AM on Saturdays so I could watch cartoons. You don't have to do that anymore!
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:57 am

you do have a good point, but do realize not all kids have all those luxuries. I know ,me personally, didnt have a whole lot growing up....i didnt get internet until i went to college. I do think this technology is a great thing, but at the same time it is bad. You see all the time on the news about kids way over weight and unhealthy. I personally think its due to technology, i.e. xbox, ps2, internet. Kids just arent getting out and exercising. I lucky that im a gym rat, so i only have time for 1 internet obssession.....the fantasy football cafe...haha.
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby HskrPwr13 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:37 am

I will say one thing for todays youth though. I think they will have it tougher in the real world than ourselves or are parents had. They have the gadgets and gizmos that allow for more fun and convenience, but they're gonna face a health care crisis, higher job competition (a bachelor's degree today is like having a HS diploma in the 70s/ealry 80s, and almost no hope of any kind of retirement benefits other than maybe a 401k. One could make that case that us in our 30s and 40s will face much of the same, but at least we have experience (both life and job) to fall back on where they dont. Hopefully this some from this next generation will wise up and realize that $20k and up for vehicles(the youth probably think $20k for a car is cheap) and all other kinds of costly electronic gadgets arent where the average persons money should be spent, but that it should be saved or put into a health care account or such. But, I'm sure its thats just wishful thinking on my part.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Rebuttal to life in the 50's for generation x

Postby Redskins Win » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:23 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:"The 80's" thread reminded me of this:

Rebuttal to life in the 50's for the generation X

When I was a kid adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning uphill both ways through year 'round blizzards carrying their younger siblings on their backs to their one-room schoolhouse where they maintained a straight-A average despite their full-time after-school job at the local textile mill where they worked for 35 cents an hour just to help keep their family from starving to death! And I remember promising myself that when I grew up there was no way in Hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But....
Now that I've reached my thirties, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so damn easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a darned Utopia! And I hate to say it but you kids today you don't even know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet - if we wanted to know something, we had to go to the library and look it up ourselves!

And there was no email! We had to actually write somebody a letter with a pen! - and then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there!

And there were no MP3s or Napsters! You wanted to steal music, you had to go to the record store and shoplift it yourself! Try sticking an LP Album under your jacket, buddy!

Or we had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the beginning and screw it all up!

You want to hear about hardship? We didn't have fancy stuff like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called, they got a busy signal!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID Boxes either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was - it could be your boss, your mom, a collections agent, your drug dealer - you didn't know!!! You just had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

And we didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation videogames with
high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like "Space Invaders" and "Asteroids," and the graphics sucked! Your guy was a little square! You had to use your imagination! And there were no multiple levels or screens - it was just one screen forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and faster until you died!

Just like LIFE!

When you went to the movie theater there no such thing as stadium seating! All the seats were the same height! If a tall guy sat in front of you, you were screwed!

And sure, we had cable television, but back then that was only like 20 channels and there was no onscreen menu! You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on!

And there was no Cartoon Network! You could only get cartoons on Saturday morning... ... D'ya hear what the hell I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK, you spoiled little bastards!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy!

You're spoiled, I swear to God! You guys wouldn't last five minutes back in the 80's!

Good post Grand Pa ;-D

Also, if you wanted to cook something or reheat it you had to use the stove.
If you wanted to watch a new release video beta or VHS you had to wait outside of the video store before it opened to be the first one there.
Super TV, anyone remember that little gem?
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Rebuttal to life in the 50's for generation x

Postby The Balanced Man » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:34 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:Try sticking an LP Album under your jacket, buddy!

A what?
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to General Talk