Moderator: Football Moderators

What needs to be done?

Postby Warhawk » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:44 pm

Ideas, people, ideas.

Maybe we can write a letter. ;-7
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:13 pm

God, what can I say. I'd like to make an educated blog about this, but my nerves could be getting the best of me. Vanderjagt has to go. He's in a contract year and I see little, to no, reason to keep him after this debacle. Signing Freeney is a must. The defense just doesn't exist without him at the center of it. I like our linebacking core, but we need another cover guy to help Sanders/Doss. A legit cover corner would be so nice, but those don't exactly grow on trees. There's something about the secondary that troubles me, especially when I see the Steelers throw down on them with ease in the first half. At other times this year, I've seen them completely disappear. Maybe the guys there need to mature a bit. I'm not sold on that idea. I think they need to go out and get someone who's an established vet. Someone Lynchesque who has playoff experience.

Protection problems seem obvious at this point, but what more can they do? The front five are, more often than not, a very solid group. When Glenn isn't false starting, he's good. Saturday's obviously not the problem. I like the group up front, but the Chargers obviously figured out that we can be rattled if blitzed on. I'm just a bit surprised we didn't max protect Manning more often by keeping either James, Mungro or Clark back there to block more often. But I digress.

Man, I can't see Manning being the problem, even though I'm not pleased with his postseason games to this point. Somehow, people always find it easy to blame him for losing in the playoffs, but he's clearly not the problem when it really comes down to it. Keeping Wayne is a must. Due to money problems, if James goes, so be it, but Wayne has to stay. Marv's not getting any younger and Wayne is the future when and if Marv ever leaves. Until Marv retires, Wayne needs to be there to play opposite since nobody else on the squad is capable and the money may as well be tied up in someone who's already familiar with Manning.

So, in conclusion, here's what I feel the team needs to do...

1. Get a veteran defensive cover corner.
2. Sign Freeney and Wayne over James, sign all three if possible.
3. If James goes, the market is flush with talented RB's. Utlizing a two-back set (i.e. Kansas City) would be inexpensive and could work in our favor. It's cap friendly if James is too cost-ineffective.

That's all I can really point to at this moment. At least that's all I've got in mind for the offseason. Obviously, I'd love to keep Freeney, Wayne and James, but someone has to go. We can't tie up all of our money in those three an expect to improve for the future.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Warhawk » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:33 pm

I'm gonna have to agree on the part about signing freeney and wayne over james. Did you know that Rhodes actually has a higher career YPC than James, and that the year when James was out, Rhodes had a higher YPC in that season than James has ever had in a season? We would need to platoon, though, as Rhodes isn't quite as durable as James, but it could work nicely.
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:18 pm

Warhawk wrote:I'm gonna have to agree on the part about signing freeney and wayne over james. Did you know that Rhodes actually has a higher career YPC than James, and that the year when James was out, Rhodes had a higher YPC in that season than James has ever had in a season? We would need to platoon, though, as Rhodes isn't quite as durable as James, but it could work nicely.

Call me insane, but if Priest Holmes doesn't come back to the Chiefs...Priest and Dominic? I think Priest sharing carries with Dom would be a nice pairing at a cheap price until we draft a more permanent replacement. Obviously, in the Colts system, you need to catch and run and I can't think of a truly better option than Priest, though an arguement could be made for DeShaun Foster if he's not inked by the Panthers.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Indianapolis Colts