Resume Paper - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Resume Paper

Moderator: Football Moderators

Resume Paper

Postby The Balanced Man » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:53 am

Resume Paper...

Linen, Laid, Textured, Plain, Emossed, blah blah blah

Do employers even really care what paper your resume is on?

Does it matter whether you are going for a job that takes a doctorate degree as compared to a Bach.?

Thoughts?
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Redskins Win » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:58 am

I don't find paper quality as important as the paper content. Especially if you post online. the copy you bring to interview should look good as far as setup and content but I seriously doubt that employers will make or break your hiring on the quality of paper. I know that's never a factor for me when I look at resumes.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:59 am

Redskins Win wrote:I don't find paper quality as important as the paper content. Especially if you post online. the copy you bring to interview should look good as far as setup and content but I seriously doubt that employers will make or break your hiring on the quality of paper. I know that's never a factor for me when I look at resumes.

RW said it all.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:03 am

I would use a high quality paper, that way if it matters to someone you wont be losing out, if it doesnt, great, just a few extra bucks gone down the drain.

Redskin said it best, its the content that matters the most. Buy a book on Resume preparation.

Good luck ;-D
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:03 am

I doubt employers really care, but it can't hurt.

I just buy resume paper at Office Depot.
Last edited by BrutallyHuge on Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flockers » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:08 am

Just use any ol' piece of paper, but let it sit next to the grill while grilling BBQ ribs. If the the person reading your resume is a guy, the scent of hickory-smoked goodness will send him into an euphoria at what point you just earned yourself a job.

My fee is 10%.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby mikus » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:22 pm

you should invest in some resume paper from office depot. it's not going to cost you a whole lot, and if you buy a protective sleeve for your resume while you are there, you never have to print it more than a couple times. but i think the presentation is very important, and if you really want a job, you should go out of your way to impress the employer.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby WickedSmaat » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:23 pm

I like to use College ruled notebook paper, but I try to keep the ripped edge on it. It tells them I learned a lot from schooling ;-D
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby The Great Gambini » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:03 pm

WickedSmaat wrote:I like to use College ruled notebook paper, but I try to keep the ripped edge on it. It tells them I learned a lot from schooling ;-D

I usually write my name in bubble letters at the top, and doodle in the margins while he's talking if I get bored.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The_Dude » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:47 pm

It is the content that matters, but particularly for entry level business jobs, how you present the material is definately part of it.

If people are looking for someone who has a doctorate, for instance, they automatically skip to where their education is from, and what their publication record looks like. Style, format, etc. don't matter all that much.

On entry level jobs, a lot of the time managers are looking at applications that all look the same - 20 applicants for one job with a BA in business and a 3.0+ GPA. How do you distinguish them? Presentation is part of it, as it the quality of your statement of purpose, etc.

So, for these jobs, paper is just one small piece, but the benefits outweight the costs of not doing it.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Return to General Talk