Fantasy sports lawsuit - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fantasy sports lawsuit

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:56 am

moonhead wrote:
deluxe_247 wrote:maybe they will figure out that the popularity of fantasy sports has actually benefitted them in fans and revenue. i dont think its a coincidence that football is gaining popularity at the same time that fantasy is blowing up.

he's saying what we're all thinking. :-D

love ya deluxe. you da man. that's a great point. i don't think they realize. i think they just assume it's their increidbly ridiculous marketing plan that is working.

I dont want this to happen, but I would love to hear/see the collective "F, you!" from the NFL "fans" and see how it changes the league and the thought process of how the NFL, as a whole, views their "fan" base.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Lung » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:07 am

Homeless wrote:Just another reason to hate baseball! :-b

Sixxgunn wrote: I know this is mainly about that ladies sport baseball, but it will inevitably spill over into any fantasy based sport if they are allowed to win.

That is the most important point - that even though this lawsuit is about baseball, it could affect any fantasy based sport.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby merc » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:21 am

This is just an extension of the IP(intellectual property) and copyright sickness which started with Hollywood and the entertainment industry. You can pay $20 for a DVD movie or a CD but you don't actually own it... even for use in the privacy of your own home for your own personal use. Want to make a copy of that CD for your car... nope. Want to make a copy of that DVD for use by your kids in the playroom.... nope.

It used to be that Fair Use ruling helped protect the consumer against this type of invasion of privacy and profit gouging... but no more.

And, the new "legal" hollywood hacking programs like AACP, "Buy Buttons" on digital radios, and the upcoming "Pay for each use" High definition schemes are just more of what's to come.

If all digital creative works are to be protected forever by law, then why aren't the creative results of what professional athletes do on the field also protected?(at least that is the thinking of the players organizations)

If that is the case, then everything we do in our lives and the statistics those creative actions create, are also protected.

See how sick this can become... and it all started with Hollywood bought laws like the DMCA(Digital Millenium Copyright Act).
Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig

[i]2006 Cafe TSN Ultimate Salary Cap Playoff Champion[/i]
merc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CC » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:11 pm

moonhead wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:Maybe the days of pen and paper will return.

Good, everyone is too damn lazy. I do all my scores by pen + paper anyways, I don't want to pay for Statracker or wait until the next morning.

CC you're so legit. :-D

Too legit to quit.
Y'all can't touch this.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby merc » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:52 pm

Too legit to quit.
Y'all can't touch this.

Hmmm... now you owe someone for that too!!!
or is it TWO someones???

Egad... see how Effed-Up this IP crap has become???
Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig

[i]2006 Cafe TSN Ultimate Salary Cap Playoff Champion[/i]
merc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:58 pm

Baseball sucks
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby grover99 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:54 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Baseball sucks

well said
grover99
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterTrivia Time Trial ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby awwchrist » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:03 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Baseball sucks

what that guy said.

Take the proprietary rights of statistics away as free use? Fine.

It wasn't all that long ago that I manually scored my league and ran my own league website, self hosted.

Sure, it took more time. But if you think the conveinence is going to outweight this bullcrap, you're wrong.

I'll be more than happy to turn back the clock. I'm guessing I'm not alone.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flockers » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:08 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Didn't Shakespeare once say, "Kill all the lawyers?" :-?

I believe that was Rufio from the movie Hook. :-)
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:22 pm

There's no way that this will ever fly. Where would you draw the line? Could newspapers no longer print the box scores to the games the next morning? Could sportscenter no longer put up player's stats after they show their highlights? Could ESPN no longer show any stats on the bottom line, but rather only the scores?

It's hilarious that baseball is the one spear-heading this thing really, even if they win the case I can't see them making money out of it. There are a lot of casual baseball fans who don't like the four hour nine inning grind but follow it because fantasy sports are fun, all those fans will be gone if this goes down and prices to play fantasy sports skyrocket. And that's not accounting for the hundreds of thousands of casual fans that are going to boycott the sport out of spite for ruining their fantasy sports.

I couldn't give up watching the NFL because of something like this, but I could damn sure afford to quit watching baseball. I imagine I'm not the only one.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk