Overtime: College vs. Pro - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Overtime: College vs. Pro

Moderator: Football Moderators

Which method would you prefer the NFL adopt for overtime?

Current (coin flip for possession, sudden death)
15%
College (teams each get chance to score, first to outscore and defend wins)
85%

Total votes : 27

Postby SeaWolf » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:56 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
SeaWolf wrote:What if you just give the two teams the 10-15 mins for an OT period. Whatever the score is at the end of that period is the final score, win lose, or tie.

Can't have ties in the playoffs.

I know that. In the playoffs you would play another period. No sudden death. I hate sudden death. :-P
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:02 am

SeaWolf wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:
SeaWolf wrote:What if you just give the two teams the 10-15 mins for an OT period. Whatever the score is at the end of that period is the final score, win lose, or tie.

I know that. In the playoffs you would play another period. No sudden death. I hate sudden death. :-P

No way they would ever do that. Think of the injury factor alone.
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby xted30 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:14 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:I've been saying for years that the NFL should sort of combine the 2 OT formats.

I hate that in the NFL a 60 minute game can come down to a coin toss, a few 1st downs, and a FG, without the other team ever having the ball.

I think the NFL should keep their same exact system but make 1 change. Make it a rule that each team gets a least 1 possession in OT. If the team that has the 1st possession scores a FG or a TD, the other team would have one possession to either win or tie. If the team that has the 1st possession doesn't score, the other team takes over and it's now sudden death. If both teams tie on their 1st possessions, it's now sudden death. If the team that has the 1st possession scores a TD, the other team must score a TD for the game to continue. I just think it isn't fair for the team that loses the coin toss to sometimes not even touch the ball in OT. This way the coin toss can't decide the game.

I think the college OT system is a joke for one reason. I think giving the teams the ball already in FG range is stupid. If they moved the ball way back to start the OT drives I think their system would be much better. I wouldn't want this type of system in the NFL.

I completely agree with this logic. Allow each team to have it once after the coin flip. If it's still a tie after those possessions, then make it sudden death. Seems logical to me.
xted30
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby The Balanced Man » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:23 am

moonhead wrote:both systems suck. college is the lesser of two evils. i say play two more quarters. play each quarter like it was as half. in the end...one team will come out on top...wheter it be from better conditioning, better depth, or better luck....however it happens, the better team should win. i hate the way both overtimes are run.

What do you do if there is still at tie after two more quarters though? there has to be some kind of back up plan.
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:02 am

Wow. Imagine what college typr OT rules in the NFL could do to our fantasy scores. ;-D
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PACKman1144 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:03 am

College overtime is superior, but would be much better if each team actually had to put together a drive, starting form the 50, rather than at the 25 when you are already is field goal range.
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:24 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
SeaWolf wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:

I like the extra full period. If tied after that then go to the college rule. This would be fairly similar to hockey or soccer where they play extra time and if no one still comes out ahead, then it becomes a shootout.

I dont like taking injury consideration into the discussion. These are "supposed" to be tough guys playing a tough sport who practice this game for hours every week with very limited injuries, and are much more protected today than they ever were in the past.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:26 am

HskrPwr13 wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:
SeaWolf wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:

I like the extra full period. If tied after that then go to the college rule. This would be fairly similar to hockey or soccer where they play extra time and if no one still comes out ahead, then it becomes a shootout.

I dont like taking injury consideration into the discussion. These are "supposed" to be tough guys playing a tough sport who practice this game for hours every week with very limited injuries, and are much more protected today than they ever were in the past.

:-t

Why don't they just have a FG kicking contest to decide a 75 minute game then.

flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:27 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:
SeaWolf wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:

Why don't they just have a FG kicking contest to decide a 75 minute game then.

I dont recall saying that the NFL should go to a shootout. Take another look.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:28 am

I voted for neither, because both are not very good.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk