Overtime: College vs. Pro - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Overtime: College vs. Pro

Moderator: Football Moderators

Which method would you prefer the NFL adopt for overtime?

Current (coin flip for possession, sudden death)
15%
College (teams each get chance to score, first to outscore and defend wins)
85%

Total votes : 27

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:30 am

I like the fairness of college ball, but I hate that they start on the the 35. That's in most NFL kickers range except for vanderjagt hehe.
If each team did a kick off that would be better that way more aspects of the game come into play.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby WickedSmaat » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:30 am

HskrPwr13 wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:
SeaWolf wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:
SeaWolf wrote:What if you just give the two teams the 10-15 mins for an OT period. Whatever the score is at the end of that period is the final score, win lose, or tie.

Can't have ties in the playoffs.

I know that. In the playoffs you would play another period. No sudden death. I hate sudden death. :-P

No way they would ever do that. Think of the injury factor alone.

I like the extra full period. If tied after that then go to the college rule. This would be fairly similar to hockey or soccer where they play extra time and if no one still comes out ahead, then it becomes a shootout.

I dont like taking injury consideration into the discussion. These are "supposed" to be tough guys playing a tough sport who practice this game for hours every week with very limited injuries, and are much more protected today than they ever were in the past.

:-t

Why don't they just have a FG kicking contest to decide a 75 minute game then.

:-t

I dont recall saying that the NFL should go to a shootout. Take another look.

Well you did use the word shootout :-?

Maybe they can have the quarterback skills competition. Like Read and Recognition with real recievers and DBs.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:32 am

dream_017 wrote:I voted for neither, because both are not very good.

Me too. That's why I like my suggestion the best. Keep it the way it is but take one thing from the college system.

Little changes like that are feasible. Entire extra periods and/or revamping the entire system will most likely never happen in our lifetimes.
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:32 am

Redskins Win wrote:I like the fairness of college ball, but I hate that they start on the the 35. That's in most NFL kickers range except for vanderjagt hehe.
If each team did a kick off that would be better that way more aspects of the game come into play.

They start at the 25. I think even Vandy can hit that half the time. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:33 am

Redskins Win wrote:I like the fairness of college ball, but I hate that they start on the the 35. That's in most NFL kickers range except for vanderjagt hehe.

They start at the 25. Typo?
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:55 am

The answer to the overtime question is simple. In the event of a tie each team chooses their “most qualified” cheerleader. Both contestants meet at the 50 yard line for a wet t-shirt contest. NFL teams without a cheerleading squad will need to identify a “champion” from their front office, training staff or ancillary personnel – anyone connected with the team.

I think this is as fair as any other scenario, and much more interesting.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby footballchick23 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:06 am

I definitely like college OT better, except for where they start the drive...I like the idea of starting from the 50. Look at the bowl games that went into OT this year...much fairer IMO than if it was a 50/50 chance when the teams are so evely matched. Plus, I think making teams go for the 2 pt conversion in the third OT helps speed up the OT process.

I just hate seeing the team that wins the coin toss by pure luck and just ends up setting up for the FG. Like many of you commented earlier, most K's can hit a 40-50 yarder (yes, RW, unlike Vandy!).
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:11 am

knapplc wrote:The answer to the overtime question is simple. In the event of a tie each team chooses their “most qualified” cheerleader. Both contestants meet at the 50 yard line for a wet t-shirt contest. NFL teams without a cheerleading squad will need to identify a “champion” from their front office, training staff or ancillary personnel – anyone connected with the team.

not all teams have cheerleaders, but seriously how often would Detroit really be in an OT situation. And any team that would have go against the bucs cheerleaders would always loose and teams that would go abainst the Browns would always win. But i guess they do anyway. ;-D
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:17 am

footballchick23 wrote:I definitely like college OT better, except for where they start the drive...I like the idea of starting from the 50. Look at the bowl games that went into OT this year...much fairer IMO than if it was a 50/50 chance when the teams are so evely matched. Plus, I think making teams go for the 2 pt conversion in the third OT helps speed up the OT process.

I just hate seeing the team that wins the coin toss by pure luck and just ends up setting up for the FG. Like many of you commented earlier, most K's can hit a 40-50 yarder (yes, RW, unlike Vandy!).

Sounds like we agree on both systems. Here's my previous post:

I've been saying for years that the NFL should sort of combine the 2 OT formats.

I hate that in the NFL a 60 minute game can come down to a coin toss, a few 1st downs, and a FG, without the other team ever having the ball.

I think the NFL should keep their same exact system but make 1 change. Make it a rule that each team gets a least 1 possession in OT. If the team that has the 1st possession scores a FG or a TD, the other team would have one possession to either win or tie. If the team that has the 1st possession doesn't score, the other team takes over and it's now sudden death. If both teams tie on their 1st possessions, it's now sudden death. If the team that has the 1st possession scores a TD, the other team must score a TD for the game to continue. I just think it isn't fair for the team that loses the coin toss to sometimes not even touch the ball in OT. This way the coin toss can't decide the game.

I think the college OT system is a joke for one reason. I think giving the teams the ball already in FG range is stupid. If they moved the ball way back to start the OT drives I think their system would be much better. I wouldn't want this type of system in the NFL.
flotsamnjetsam

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:18 am

Redskins Win wrote:
knapplc wrote:The answer to the overtime question is simple. In the event of a tie each team chooses their “most qualified” cheerleader. Both contestants meet at the 50 yard line for a wet t-shirt contest. NFL teams without a cheerleading squad will need to identify a “champion” from their front office, training staff or ancillary personnel – anyone connected with the team.

not all teams have cheerleaders, but seriously how often would Detroit really be in an OT situation. And any team that would have go against the bucs cheerleaders would always loose and teams that would go abainst the Browns would always win. But i guess they do anyway. ;-D

Are you saying that therer no good-lookin women in Cleveland? 8-o ...............Just trying to spark some more controversy. ;-)
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk