Overtime: College vs. Pro - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Overtime: College vs. Pro

Moderator: Football Moderators

Which method would you prefer the NFL adopt for overtime?

Current (coin flip for possession, sudden death)
15%
College (teams each get chance to score, first to outscore and defend wins)
85%

Total votes : 27

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:22 am

HskrPwr13 wrote:
Redskins Win wrote:
knapplc wrote:The answer to the overtime question is simple. In the event of a tie each team chooses their “most qualified” cheerleader. Both contestants meet at the 50 yard line for a wet t-shirt contest. NFL teams without a cheerleading squad will need to identify a “champion” from their front office, training staff or ancillary personnel – anyone connected with the team.

I think this is as fair as any other scenario, and much more interesting.

not all teams have cheerleaders, but seriously how often would Detroit really be in an OT situation. And any team that would have go against the bucs cheerleaders would always loose and teams that would go abainst the Browns would always win. But i guess they do anyway. ;-D

Ummmmmm well there is probably one or two but definately not on the brownies cheer squad.

Are you saying that therer no good-lookin women in Cleveland? 8-o ...............Just trying to spark some more controversy. ;-)
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:53 am

dream_017 wrote:I voted for neither, because both are not very good.

Yeah I agree. I would like to see a coin flip and an extra period for the first overtime. Then maybe go to the College format or sudden death after the first over time. Id perfer the college system. I think most would agree its the most fair, both teams have an equal shot. Its lame that in the pros whoever wins the coin flip usually wins the game. Dumb. :-t I also agree with the posters who said the should start from the fifty with the college format. How about just taking kickers out of the overtime periods all together in other words you must score a TD.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Homeless » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:20 am

Im with college rules, but only because the wet T shirt contest wasnt an option :-b
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:22 am

Homeless wrote:Im with college rules, but only because the wet T shirt contest wasnt an option :-b

I sure hope you meant the cheerleaders there, Homey. :-b
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:25 am

Homeless wrote:Im with college rules, but only because the wet T shirt contest wasnt an option :-b

Yeah. If life was fair, it would be. But failing that, the college method is much more balanced.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:24 pm

Sounds like we agree on both systems. Here's my previous post:

I've been saying for years that the NFL should sort of combine the 2 OT formats.

I hate that in the NFL a 60 minute game can come down to a coin toss, a few 1st downs, and a FG, without the other team ever having the ball.

I think the NFL should keep their same exact system but make 1 change. Make it a rule that each team gets a least 1 possession in OT. If the team that has the 1st possession scores a FG or a TD, the other team would have one possession to either win or tie. If the team that has the 1st possession doesn't score, the other team takes over and it's now sudden death. If both teams tie on their 1st possessions, it's now sudden death. If the team that has the 1st possession scores a TD, the other team must score a TD for the game to continue. I just think it isn't fair for the team that loses the coin toss to sometimes not even touch the ball in OT. This way the coin toss can't decide the game.

I think the college OT system is a joke for one reason. I think giving the teams the ball already in FG range is stupid. If they moved the ball way back to start the OT drives I think their system would be much better. I wouldn't want this type of system in the NFL.

This system is used in the Arena League, and it works fairly well. Ties are rare, and there are many exciting plays. It would also be interesting to see the possible dynamic of a 2 pt. conversion winning or losing the game.
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:44 pm

I agree that in the NFL, the college system would have to be adapted to move the ball back with each possesion.

But the one thing I would like to add onto this discussion is that many of you evidently don't watch too much college ball. While a 42-yard field goal is a medium to easy shot to make in the NFL, in college ball (remember, kicking is one position of the NFL that is vastly diluted as far as talent goes) many NCAA Div-I kickers couldn't hit a 42 yarder consistantly to save their lives. Anyone see the Fiesta Bowl, or even the Rose Bowl?

The difference between a NCAA I starting kicker and a NFL starting kicker is astronomical.

Therefore, this is one thing that would be accounted for at the next level. But don't discount the entire college OT system on one technicality.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to General Talk