Can I help you with that? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Can I help you with that?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:40 am

PACKman1144 wrote:Not good. No one has the right to take their own life, that is murder. I hate federal government intervention too felllas, but this is so sick and distugusting that there is no way it should be protected by the constitution. ;-7

So let's prosecute all those guilty of suicide! Seriously, if you want to take your own life and you do it in a way that's not going to physically hurt someone else, how can that be illegal?

Are you saying that the government should be able to tell people when they can die? How is that their business?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PACKman1144 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:46 am

knapplc wrote:
PACKman1144 wrote:Not good. No one has the right to take their own life, that is murder. I hate federal government intervention too felllas, but this is so sick and distugusting that there is no way it should be protected by the constitution. ;-7

So let's prosecute all those guilty of suicide! Seriously, if you want to take your own life and you do it in a way that's not going to physically hurt someone else, how can that be illegal?

Are you saying that the government should be able to tell people when they can die? How is that their business?

It should not be legal for a man to make his living by killing people. Ii may not be in a painful way but that's what it is. I don't believe it is our job to decide when we die, I just don't.

And no, I do not think the government should tell you when to die, I do not think that other people should be able to either.
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Redskins Win » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:51 am

The government wants everyone to live so they can collect taxes. That's it and that's why they want control, TAXES.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:53 am

PACKman1144 wrote:
knapplc wrote:

It should not be legal for a man to make his living by killing people. Ii may not be in a painful way but that's what it is. I don't believe it is our job to decide when we die, I just don't.

And no, I do not think the government should tell you when to die, I do not think that other people should be able to either.

First of all, let me say that I agree with you - suicide is awful and I'm 100% against it.

And I'm not so sure I'm too happy with people who help other people kill themselves (Dr. Kevorkian).

But, I'm also not so sure the government should be involved in telling people whether or not they can kill themselves, and to extrapolate that, whether someone can help them do that or not. If someone wants to kill themself, I don't see how we can make a law against it. And if that someone wants to kill themself but physically cannot do it, having someone assist them may not be something I want my government dictating.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby PACKman1144 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:13 am

knapplc wrote:
PACKman1144 wrote:
knapplc wrote:

First of all, let me say that I agree with you - suicide is awful and I'm 100% against it.

And I'm not so sure I'm too happy with people who help other people kill themselves (Dr. Kevorkian).

But, I'm also not so sure the government should be involved in telling people whether or not they can kill themselves, and to extrapolate that, whether someone can help them do that or not. If someone wants to kill themself, I don't see how we can make a law against it. And if that someone wants to kill themself but physically cannot do it, having someone assist them may not be something I want my government dictating.

I see where you are coming from. But I see where this kind of thing could go.

So we allow this freak to help people kill themselves, then we allow doctors to recommend patients killing themselves, then we have suicide as an official treatment in every hospital. And now we have a full blown crisis.

I know it's extreme but what this kind of policy could lead to is disaster. Killing/death should never be encouraged by the governemnt, except in times of war (for the soldiers). This is encouraging death: I think it is wrong.

knapplc, I think we come form the same school of though. I don't believe in a lot of government involvment either, but I think to allow this kind of stuff to go on is a travesty(sp?).
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:17 am

Yeah, I agree. I'm waffling on this a lot because I think suicide is so wrong. Mostly my argument is against government involvement, not pro-suicide or pro-assisting or anything like that.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby PACKman1144 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:19 am

knapplc wrote:Yeah, I agree. I'm waffling on this a lot because I think suicide is so wrong. Mostly my argument is against government involvement, not pro-suicide or pro-assisting or anything like that.

yeah I hear ya. Not a fan of the government jumpin' in on other peeps business either. I just think this is so serious that it is necessary...
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SeaWolf » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:26 am

I don't want to start an argument.

If you or a family member is going to die within six months from a slow painfull death. And you can make thier last days on earth a little easier by not living those last painfull days you wouldn't do it?

We can ease the pain and suffering for a pet, but can't do the same for Aunt May if that is her wish? :-? I don't get it. I would not want to spend the last few days of my life in pain, if I was going to dia anyway, if I could avoid it.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:49 am

I am anti-overpopulation... I am:

Pro-Gun
Pro-Death Penalty
Pro-Assisted Suicide
Pro-Choice

and

mostly Carnivorous....

I fully believe some lives are worth living and others are not....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:55 am

SeaWolf wrote:I don't want to start an argument.

If you or a family member is going to die within six months from a slow painfull death. And you can make thier last days on earth a little easier by not living those last painfull days you wouldn't do it?

We can ease the pain and suffering for a pet, but can't do the same for Aunt May if that is her wish? :-? I don't get it. I would not want to spend the last few days of my life in pain, if I was going to dia anyway, if I could avoid it.

It's an interesting debate, but at the end of the day I don't know that I could help someone kill themself because they were suffering.

I have done a lot of research on the end-life scenario of cancer patients. There are a lot of drugs out there that can just about totally eliminate the pain some of these patients go through towards the end. I would imagine that's a better option than killing yourself.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to General Talk