Faster than a speeding bullet! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Faster than a speeding bullet!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Faster than a speeding bullet!

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:23 pm

(CNN) -- NASA says the New Horizons spacecraft will be the fastest ever launched, more than 10 times faster than a speeding bullet.

New Horizons is scheduled to lift off atop a Lockheed Martin Atlas V rocket at 1:24 p.m. ET on Tuesday from the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida to begin a 10-year, 3-billion-mile mission.

About 42 minutes after liftoff and after it separates from its third stage, New Horizons will speed from Earth at about 16 kilometers per second, or 36,000 miles per hour.

New Horizons will reach a speed of about 47,000 miles per hour during its 10-year trip to Pluto. According to The Physics Factbook, a bullet from a large-caliber rifle travels at about 1,500 meters or 5,000 feet per second -- about 3,400 miles per hour.

It took Apollo 11 three days to reach the moon in 1969. New Horizons will fly by it about nine hours after launch and reach Jupiter in a little more than a year, the space agency said.

If all goes as planned, it will then execute a "gravity assist" maneuver, slingshotting around Jupiter to pick up speed.

The maneuver will increase New Horizons' speed to 21 kilometers per second -- 47,000 miles per hour, NASA said.

From there it will travel nine more years in more or less a straight line to Pluto.

The probe, about the size of a baby grand piano, will capture the first up-close imagery of Pluto, its moons and a region of the outer solar system called the Kuiper Belt.

The 10 years it will take New Horizons to reach Pluto will be a long wait for the scientists and engineers who have designed the mission, but they say the payoff will be worth the wait. (Watch: Mission to Pluto -- 1:28)

"The New Horizons mission is going somewhere no mission has gone before," said project scientist Hal Weaver. "This is the frontier of planetary science."

The Kuiper Belt is a region of icy, rocky bodies that populate a part of the solar system beyond the planet Neptune.

"It is fantastically interesting to me to have a chance maybe within my lifetime for scientists to see up close what those objects look like and to begin our reconnaissance of that region of space," said NASA Administrator Michael Griffin Tuesday morning.

Scientists think these bodies are debris left over from the formation of the planets 4.6 billion years ago. Researchers theorized for decades that such an area probably existed in the solar system, but the first Kuiper Belt object was not identified until 1992.

Since then, hundreds have been found, some quite large. Planetary astronomers now believe Pluto is a Kuiper Belt object.

"It's the capstone of the initial reconnaissance of the planets," said New Horizons principal investigator Alan Stern. "It's something that will go down in history, not just for the way it changes textbooks, but for the sort of society we are, that we do these things of lasting historic importance, that we explore beyond our own world."

Weaver said, "This is one of the most important regions of the solar system. It hasn't been explored yet, and New Horizons is going to be the first mission to go out there and look at it up close and personal."

Nuclear-powered propulsion
With the spacecraft containing 24 pounds of radioactive plutonium-238, the New Horizons launch is somewhat controversial.

The craft is not directly nuclear-powered, but the decay of the plutonium generates heat to fuel a battery, which in turn will power the probe as it moves far away from the sun to the outer reaches of the solar system.

Critics have expressed concern that an accident on launch could spread deadly plutonium over a wide swath of central Florida. (Full story)

In an environmental impact statement NASA was required to file before making final flight plans, the space agency indicated a 1-in-620 chance exists of an accident on liftoff that would release some amount of plutonium into the environment.

As a worst-case scenario, NASA estimated the chances at "1 in 1.4 million to 1 in 18 million" that an "extremely unlikely launch area accident" could release up to 2 percent of the plutonium on board the spacecraft.

NASA critic Karl Grossman, author of "The Wrong Stuff: The Space Program's Nuclear Threat to Our Planet," said he doesn't agree with NASA's interpretation of the risks.

"Is NASA again crossing its fingers and hoping?" he asked. "If it's 2 percent or it's 6 percent or if it's 20 percent or if it's 100 percent, when you're talking about plutonium, you're talking about the most toxic radioactive substance known."

New Horizons scientists say the benefits of the project outweigh the risks associated with launch.

"In order for us to continue our exploration of the universe, we have to do these kinds of things," Weaver said.

"The exploration of space, the detailed study of the planets, including Pluto and the Kuiper Belt, are going to be some of the things that people look back on as the achievements of our civilization."

Stern added, "I wouldn't be bringing my friends and family, my children if I thought they were at serious risk."

Space exploration is cool.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:35 pm

I love space exploration ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby awwchrist » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:37 pm

PLEASE don't forget to strap Lance Bass to it.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:42 pm

awwchrist wrote:PLEASE don't forget to strap Lance Bass to it.

Our planet is already contaminated with Boy Bands. I'm against spreading this disease to other worlds.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:42 pm

The Kuiper Belt is a region of icy, rocky bodies that populate a part of the solar system beyond the planet Neptune.

Is that the Mel Jr. belt?
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:48 pm

We'll all be dead in 10 years. Though if were not I'm sure Mercer will do a search pull this thread and remind me how stoopid that statement is. Also a word of note in 10 years Joe Gibbs and the all mighty Washington Redskins will have won the super bowl 7 more times ;-D
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:21 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:

Is that the Mel Jr. belt?

I think so...that's the region of space that has really good hair. ;-7

222525 is not a very hard number to remember...in 10 years I'll just punch it up; hopefully we'll still be alive! :-o
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby jayday » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:25 pm

Probably get shelled for saying this....but....space exploration sucks in my opinion...

I'd love to know how many BILLIONS of dollars have been spent in the last 30 or so years....

What do they think they're gonna find out there....Oooohhhh a big rock orbiting in outer space, we must explore...-pushes taped glasses back up nose-

The money could be spent better elsewhere is all I'm saying...

-braces for impact of pocket protectors whizzing towards my head-
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:37 pm

You've got a valid point, JD. I'm all for space exploration, but I see why you'd say that.

My answer is that there's more than enough resources to go around, we're just misusing them. We're a very wasteful species. If we were more efficient we would have all the food, shelter, security and education we would need for every man, woman and child on the planet.

What you should really be upset about is not space exploration, but the misuse of resources available that makes things like space exploration seem like a waste.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby moonhead » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:39 pm

jayday wrote:Probably get shelled for saying this....but....space exploration sucks in my opinion...

I'd love to know how many BILLIONS of dollars have been spent in the last 30 or so years....

What do they think they're gonna find out there....Oooohhhh a big rock orbiting in outer space, we must explore...-pushes taped glasses back up nose-

The money could be spent better elsewhere is all I'm saying...

-braces for impact of pocket protectors whizzing towards my head-

are you serious? if we understand more about the galaxy and the universe, we can understand more about our own biology and history. which would, in turn, allow for us to create better medicines, improve technologies, answer questions about life and death, etc. space exploration and the study of astronomy is incredibly interesting stuff. i urge you to take an entry level astronomy class at your school, if for nothing else just some easy A hours. I took one a year ago and it was mind blowing. Just really incredible stuff. I was one semester from graduating and considered changing my major to astronomy, because the class was so informative, interesting, and fun.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Next

Return to General Talk