Faster than a speeding bullet! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Faster than a speeding bullet!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:40 pm

We should use all that money to get Alf back on the air.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jayday » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:45 pm

knapplc wrote:You've got a valid point, JD. I'm all for space exploration, but I see why you'd say that.

My answer is that there's more than enough resources to go around, we're just misusing them. We're a very wasteful species. If we were more efficient we would have all the food, shelter, security and education we would need for every man, woman and child on the planet.

I COMPLETELY agree with you there....

What you should really be upset about is not space exploration, but the misuse of resources available that makes things like space exploration seem like a waste.

And that is a good point as well, space exploration isn't bad...I just don't think we have a good enough grasp of our world yet to be out probing everywhere else....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby jayday » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:52 pm

moonhead wrote:
jayday wrote:Probably get shelled for saying this....but....space exploration sucks in my opinion...

I'd love to know how many BILLIONS of dollars have been spent in the last 30 or so years....

What do they think they're gonna find out there....Oooohhhh a big rock orbiting in outer space, we must explore...-pushes taped glasses back up nose-

The money could be spent better elsewhere is all I'm saying...

-braces for impact of pocket protectors whizzing towards my head-

are you serious? if we understand more about the galaxy and the universe, we can understand more about our own biology and history. which would, in turn, allow for us to create better medicines, improve technologies, answer questions about life and death, etc.

I'll buy the improved technology...but how does going to Pluto help us create better medicine and answer questions about life and death? :-?

space exploration and the study of astronomy is incredibly interesting stuff. i urge you to take an entry level astronomy class at your school, if for nothing else just some easy A hours. I took one a year ago and it was mind blowing. Just really incredible stuff. I was one semester from graduating and considered changing my major to astronomy, because the class was so informative, interesting, and fun.

Like I said in my 2nd post, space exploration isn't bad....and someday there might be the right time to do it....but right now, I'd rather try to fix our world rather than look for a new one....

I might take you up on the astronomy class....maybe I'll learn something....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:56 pm

we are all made up of matter that was released during the big bang. if we happen to find new elements or minerals or stuff like that it would definitely improve our technology and could also improve our understanding of our own biology. as for questions about life and death...it's another explanation for where we came from, how it was possible and what our physical existence means to the universe (which is close to nothing).

the astronomy professor here at OU is renowned within his field and has won numerous awards and makes the material really fun. so maybe my perspective is a bit skewed on how much fun or interesting this class might be somewhere else or to someone else.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:58 pm

I took an astronomy class as an elective in my first year of college and really enjoyed it. You should check it out JayDay. Once you'e taken that class, you will look at Earth in a whole new way.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:58 pm

jayday wrote:Probably get shelled for saying this....but....space exploration sucks in my opinion...

I'd love to know how many BILLIONS of dollars have been spent in the last 30 or so years....

What do they think they're gonna find out there....Oooohhhh a big rock orbiting in outer space, we must explore...-pushes taped glasses back up nose-

It's not a matter of what we find in space, it's what we learn during the journey. Visit the following site. You might find it enlightening.

http://www.thespaceplace.com/nasa/spinoffs.html
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Homeless » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:06 pm

Amazing that even at that speed it will take so long to reach Pluto.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby jayday » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:26 pm

josebach wrote:

It's not a matter of what we find in space, it's what we learn during the journey. Visit the following site. You might find it enlightening.

http://www.thespaceplace.com/nasa/spinoffs.html

That is a cool link....I'd recommend it to cavemen like me :-D

I just have a hard time believing that we only spend 0.8% of our budget on the space program....Do you have a link for that?
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MadScott » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:54 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:We should use all that money to get Alf back on the air.
Wurd! :-b ;-D

Before you get up for that final snack, I want you to know I'll be right back! HA!

I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:55 pm

MadScott wrote:
BrutallyHuge wrote:We should use all that money to get Alf back on the air.
Wurd! :-b ;-D

Before you get up for that final snack, I want you to know I'll be right back! HA!

What the f..... :-* ..... that is one seriously disturbing image.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk