Who ya gonna call?
Goosebusters!

If there's poop from geese
And it don't smell good
Who ya gonna call?
Goosebusters!

:-b

Yahoo! News wrote:Goose Poop a Problem for Oakland Parkgoers Mon Jan 16, 10:24

OAKLAND, Calif. - Piles of goose poop at a city lake have officials struggling to find a way to clean up the mess for picnicking parkgoers.

Full-time resident Canada geese arrived at the city's Lake Merritt in 1954 when several injured birds were introduced to the refuge. Their numbers have exploded in the past 20 years to at least 200 regulars, with some 2,000 geese descending on the park each summer, according to the National Audubon Society.

"Each bird produces about a pound of poop a day — that's literally a ton each day," said Stephanie Benavidez, head naturalist at the Lake Merritt Wildlife Refuge.

It's a staggering problem that has Oakland and other cities trying to figure out how to chase away the geese without running afoul of the Federal Migratory Bird and Endangered Species acts that protect many of the birds that live alongside the geese at Lake Merritt, which covers 150 acres.

"The goose droppings on the lawn have pretty much made the lawns unusable to families who want to have picnics or use the park with their children," said Councilwoman Pat Kernighan, who represents the area. "It's very hard for people to use the park for recreation."

Some cities have tried planting grass varieties that Canada geese won't eat, or spraying lawns with chemicals geese find distasteful. Others have tried erecting fences to keep the geese out of areas reserved for people.

Chasing the birds away is another popular trick. Cities hire firms with names like Goosebusters or Wild Goose Chase, which use dogs — trained to harass, not harm, geese — to chase the birds away.

But critics worry that using dogs in Oakland could harm other bird species, such as egrets, mallards and herons.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moonhead » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:45 pm

you said poop. :-b
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Re: Ray Parker would be proud.

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:47 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:If there's birds poopin'
In your neighborhood
Who ya gonna call?
Goosebusters!

If there's poop from geese
And it don't smell good
Who ya gonna call?
Goosebusters!

:-b

Nice one! Call Weird Al!
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:50 pm

There's a field behind my house that the geese love to scavenge for grain on their commute. It gets a bit messy back there sometimes, but I think the farmer likes the extra fertilizer.

My daughter loves watching them, too.

Geese are cool.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:57 pm

moonhead wrote:you said poop. :-b

Heh heh! He said "poopin" too! :-b

Growing up in California we had a swiming pool, one time this huge flock of ducks landed in our backyard. There must have been 2 to 3 hundred of them! We laughed watching them play in the pool and scurry around on the deck but it was until they left that we noticed the carnage. Duck poop everywhere! Nasty! And guess who got to clean it up? We even had to drain the pool!

Its a wonder how I became a Ducks fan. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Homeless » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:27 pm

A 1lb of poop per day for each one of them!

I know what i'd do...

Anyone want Goose for Thanksgiving this yr.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:37 pm

When I worked on a golf course geese use to screw the greens up religiously. We even had one of the austrailian sheep dogs we
d send out in the morning but by after noon it was still out of control.
Geese suck
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:39 pm

Redskins Win wrote:When I worked on a golf course geese use to screw the greens up religiously. We even had one of the austrailian sheep dogs we
Geese suck

geese are a nightmare for a golf course. i've been working at golf courses all my life. they root up the greens with their beaks and their poop is very nitrogen rich or something and it kills the greens too.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:00 pm

moonhead wrote:
Redskins Win wrote:When I worked on a golf course geese use to screw the greens up religiously. We even had one of the austrailian sheep dogs we
Geese suck

geese are a nightmare for a golf course. i've been working at golf courses all my life. they root up the greens with their beaks and their poop is very nitrogen rich or something and it kills the greens too.

Animal poop is nitrogen rich...it's used as fertilizer, so the nitrogen is not what is killing the greens I wouldn't think. Nitrogen is a component of urea which is also used as fertilizer (and it's also in pee, so if you whiz outside you're probably making the grass grow faster. :-b)

If anything kills the grass it's the bacteria that comes from it. I guess geese poop has a lot of bacteria in it like E. coli. :-o
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:53 pm

Homeless wrote:A 1lb of poop per day for each one of them!

I know what i'd do...

Anyone want Goose for Thanksgiving this yr.
This story is a bunch of crap... :-b
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk