Chocolate City? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Chocolate City?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Chocolate City?

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:42 pm

Didnt see this posted yet. Proabably to "racy" for some. I guess NO's mayor doesnt need my "white" dollars. This guys an absolute a-hole. I cant believe he made these remarks during MLK week. If he gets re-elected, that would be a shame.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Chocolate City?

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:44 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:Didnt see this posted yet. Proabably to "racy" for some. I guess NO's mayor doesnt need my "white" dollars. This guys an absolute a-hole. I cant believe he made these remarks during MLK week. If he gets re-elected, that would be a shame.

Wha choo talkin bout willis?
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:46 pm

Just saw this on CNN. Mayor of New Orleans declared NO a "Chocolate City" and that "This is the way God wants it." If I see an actual story about it, I'll post it.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:50 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:Just saw this on CNN. Mayor of New Orleans declared NO a "Chocolate City" and that "This is the way God wants it." If I see an actual story about it, I'll post it.

Willie Wonka would want to live there. heck a city made of chocolate I even want to live there. ;-D
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:53 pm

Here it is:
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... 17-ON.html

New Orleans mayor apologizes for 'chocolate' city remark

Associated Press
Jan. 17, 2006 02:50 PM

NEW ORLEANS - Mayor Ray Nagin apologized Tuesday for a Martin Luther King Day speech in which he predicted that New Orleans would be a "chocolate" city once more and asserted that "God was mad at America."

"I said some things that were totally inappropriate. ... It shouldn't have happened," Nagin said, explaining he was caught up in the moment as he spoke to mostly black spectators, many of them fearful of being shut out of the city's rebuilding.

During the speech Monday, Nagin, who is black, said that the hurricanes that hit the nation in quick succession were a sign of God's anger toward the United States and toward black communities, too, for their violence and infighting. He also said New Orleans has to be a mostly black city again because "it's the way God wants it to be." advertisement

On Tuesday, Nagin said his comments about God were inappropriate and stemmed from a private conversation he had with a minister earlier. "I need to be more sensitive and more aware of what I'm saying," he said.

The mayor said his speech was really meant to convey that blacks were a vital part of New Orleans' history and culture and should be encouraged to return. "I want everyone to be welcome in New Orleans - black, white, Asian, everybody," he said.

Nagin said the other main point he had hoped to make Monday was that when blacks do return, they must work to stamp out the crime and political infighting that have held them back.

New Orleans was more than 65 percent black before Hurricane Katrina. The storm displaced about three-quarters of the city's population. Most of the estimated 125,000 residents who have been able to return are white.

Nagin, a former cable company executive and political novice, was elected in 2002 with about 90 percent of the white vote, according to polls conducted by Ed Renwick, the director of Loyola University's Institute of Politics.

Nagin received less than half the black vote, Renwick said Tuesday, and the mayor's heaviest criticism since taking office has come from rival political factions in the black community, many of whom have portrayed him as an "Uncle Tom" who caters to the interests of white businessmen.

Nagin has been trying harder to gain the trust of black residents, Renwick said.

"But some of the remarks he made Monday will possibly dampen enthusiasm among some whites," Renwick said. "It seemed to be another Nagin-being-Nagin. He has a penchant for just speaking off the cuff and not thinking it through."

The political analyst added: "He also tends to speak to the literal audience he's with at the time instead of the whole world he reaches through the TV, radio and print media."
[/quote]
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:57 pm

I can't believe some of the morons in the world today. This guy needs to be dipped in chocolate and buried in an anthill. And forced to look at that picture of the gay ALF in the space thread :-o
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:30 pm

We were talking about this at work. My boss is from LA was pretty pissed about it. why does the place have to be a chocolate company. He could have replaced that with "a work community" everywhere he said "chocalote company" and he wouldnt have sounded like a dang fool
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:37 pm

It just goes to show that racism isnt a "white" thing. I'm somewhat surprised that the media, they havent called him racist yet, is at least challenging his statements. Usually it seems that the media pushes anything racist under the rug unless it involves a white person or a majority member committing the racism/prejudice. (IMO)
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Homeless » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:03 pm

If a white city mayor said that he would be out on his ass within an hour or two!

Just wrong. :-t
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby WickedSmaat » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:32 pm

Well it just goes to show how smaat he really is.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Next

Return to General Talk