GPS uses - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

GPS uses

Moderator: Football Moderators

GPS uses

Postby The Balanced Man » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:37 am

Anyone have one of those little GPS do-hickeys? What do you use them for?

For the longest time the only use I could think of was driving to a place I wasn't sure about.

I saw a TV show (albeit fictional) where there was a group of people in California who would use them to find the epicenter of earthquakes and leave markers at all the epicenters they had been to.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone had any cool uses for them.
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Redskins Win » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:42 am

If you're ever in the desert hiking around you'll want to have one ;-D
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Alkaholik » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:53 am

Since i live in the pacific northwest, i live on the coastline and go out fishing a lot. We bought one awhile back and rarely use it.

It is very complicated and 95% of the time u are so busy worrying about everything else u forget to even suse it.

But one thing it was great for is when we would boat out to the islands we would start it and it would record a trail of travel how we got there and back. so all the main fishin places and islands we travel to we have programmed in and when we get trapped in fog out there we turn her on and it shows us the exact route back to the mainland, rather than not see where u are going and run into rocks.

We have had it for 6 years and maybe use it 1 out of every 10 boat trips :-/
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby Homeless » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:27 pm

Theres a sizeable group of people all over the world who participate in a GPS game of hide and seek. They hide stuff in all kinds of places and then others have to find it. usually a box with something hidden inside, you take the item thats in there and then replace it with one of your own. You then go to a website and let everyone know you got to another location.

Sounds neat.
Last edited by Homeless on Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:32 pm

Homeless wrote:Theres a sizeable grooup of poeple all over thew world who participate in a GPS game of hide and seek. They hide stuff in all kinds of places and then others have to find it. usually a box with something hidden inside, you take the item thats in there and then replace it with one of your own. You then go to a website and let everyone know you got to another location.

Sounds neat.

Did anyone ever play a game called "Bushbuck Charms, Viking Ships, and Dodo Eggs?" Basically you went all over the world looking for things. It taught you about countries and showed you certain things that those countries are known for (that's what you were searching).

That game was so much freaking fun when I was a kid. I would probably still play the thing if I didn' t lose my copy of it. :,-(
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Balanced Man » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:37 pm

Homeless wrote:Theres a sizeable grooup of poeple all over thew world who participate in a GPS game of hide and seek. They hide stuff in all kinds of places and then others have to find it. usually a box with something hidden inside, you take the item thats in there and then replace it with one of your own. You then go to a website and let everyone know you got to another location.

Sounds neat.

http://www.geocaching.com/

Googled after your post and found this. it does sound fun!
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:56 pm

The Balanced Man wrote:

Sounds neat.

Thats it! I think I may well sign up for it and take my wife and kids on some of the easier ones.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby MadScott » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:10 pm

I've heard about those massive scavenger hunt type of games. Really surreal when you read about them and think about the global scale that they are trying to involve.

As for GPS uses, we are using GPS very extensively now on our farm. We are using it to help us become more efficient from everything from making beds that crops grow on to pin point applications of fertilizers, etc. It's becoming more and more integrated in everything that we do.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Balanced Man » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:34 pm

Homeless wrote:
The Balanced Man wrote:

Sounds neat.

Thats it! I think I may well sign up for it and take my wife and kids on some of the easier ones.

You see those "Travel Bugs"? they are like dogtags with a serial number, and people take them from place to place, and you can track them online. Seems pretty cool! Imagine your travel bug getting to another country...
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:36 pm

They're good for keeping track of choice off-shore fishing holes and sharing them with your buddies...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk