Kelly Clarkson v. American Idol - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Kelly Clarkson v. American Idol

Moderator: Football Moderators

Kelly Clarkson v. American Idol

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:49 pm

Apparently, former Idol winner Kelly Clarkson isn't allowing the show to use any of her songs in the competition. That kinda seems like biting the hand that feeds you, doesn't it?

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/Entertainment/American_Idol/
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:52 pm

Simon Cowell wrote:The stance prompted a public scolding from "American Idol" judge Simon Cowell. "I think that by ignoring the show you're ignoring the audience who put you there," Cowell said Tuesday.

It's not the audience she's ignoring, just the show.

And his pompous a$$.

Can't stand that show.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:53 pm

I support her. If you look at the contracts that the Idol winners are forced to sign, it's ridiculous.

If you win, you get signed by Cowell's group, which pretty much steals all the money you make.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:05 pm

knapplc wrote:
Simon Cowell wrote:The stance prompted a public scolding from "American Idol" judge Simon Cowell. "I think that by ignoring the show you're ignoring the audience who put you there," Cowell said Tuesday.

It's not the audience she's ignoring, just the show.

And his pompous a$$.

Can't stand that show.
I've got to say, the best part of the show is what they are currently showing which is Cowell's crass comments during the tryouts.

While it is kind of dissing the hand that feeds you, it's not like Cowell and Co. did an awful lot to help her get going. Anyone see "To Justin from Kelley"? 8-o
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:42 pm

The show made her famous. It also made her wealthy. While not directly handing the money and fame to her, it was the ONLY reason she is where she is, and needs to realize that. She's a (insert expletive). It's not as if they are making money off of her songs. This show is going to go on and do well whether her garbage...err...music is used on there or not. I hate people. Please bring on the bomb.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby VaderFin » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:48 pm

American Idol sucks. Kelly Clarkson however is fine.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:51 pm

The problem with Idol - as with any "reality" show now - is that people are only too aware that they stand to gain a modicum of fame if they make an ass of themself. That Asian dude who totally couldn't sing but tried out anyway and became "famous" is a prime example. Now people are trying out purposefully to be bad.

It's like a big scam between the "singer" and the audience. Both parties know it's all BS, but the "singer" sings anyway and the audience watches anyway.

People are such sheep. If the majority of Americans had any discriminating taste that show would have been off the air two days after it started.

Of course, the same could be said about 90% of the current programming out there...
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The_Dude » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:12 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:I support her. If you look at the contracts that the Idol winners are forced to sign, it's ridiculous.

If you win, you get signed by Cowell's group, which pretty much steals all the money you make.

BH pretty much summed up the way I feel about it.

American Idol gets plenty out of this show... not just the money from the contracts, but all the ad dollars that come from putting this whole spectacle on TV, including the bad auditions, which probably a sizable portion of the audience watches for.

Sure, its a great opportunity, but Idol is a money-making machine. Many of the idols have turned out to be long-run flops. Kelly only really became famous after she shed her idol tag and image and record label. Good for her for not being a one-hit wonder... and telling the Simons to suck it.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby PACKman1144 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:38 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:The show made her famous. It also made her wealthy. While not directly handing the money and fame to her, it was the ONLY reason she is where she is, and needs to realize that. She's a (insert expletive). It's not as if they are making money off of her songs. This show is going to go on and do well whether her garbage...err...music is used on there or not. I hate people. Please bring on the bomb.

I agree with the first half of what you said ;-D

Not sure about the second part :-o

American Idol is the only reaosn she is where she is. If it is not for that show she's still a nobody. there is no reason for her to completly break ties with the show, as queer as it is.
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby UTLonghorns » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:02 pm

Thats pretty low. You won the thing and have become successful, why not let other people sing your song? I dont get it.
UTLonghorns
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb Supporter

Next

Return to General Talk