Wendy's Finger Update - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Wendy's Finger Update

Moderator: Football Moderators

Wendy's Finger Update

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:50 pm

Nice to see these fools put away for a long time...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,182008,00.html

Couple Sentenced in Wendy's Finger Fraud
Wednesday, January 18, 2006

SAN JOSE, Calif. — A Nevada couple who planted a severed finger in a bowl of Wendy's chili to extort money from the fast-food chain were sentenced Wednesday to lengthy prison terms after apologizing for their crimes.

Anna Ayala, 40, who said she bit into the digit, was sentenced to nine years in state prison for the finger fraud and an unrelated charge. Her husband, Jaime Plascencia, 44, who obtained the finger from co-worker who lost it in an industrial accident, was ordered locked up for more than a dozen years for fraud and charges that included being a deadbeat dad.

"Greed and avarice overtook this couple," said Judge Edward Davila, adding that they "lost their moral compass."

The pair pleaded guilty last year in Santa Clara County Superior Court to two felony charges arising from the chili finger scam: conspiracy to file a false insurance claim and attempted grand theft with damages exceeding $2.5 million.

In a tearful plea for leniency, Ayala apologized to the gallery and said the incident was "a moment of poor judgment."

Ayala said she retched March 22 after biting into the fingertip while dining with her family at a Wendy's in San Jose.

Although forensic testing later showed Ayala never chomped on the finger, she described the incident to television news crews.

"There's no words to describe what I felt, its sick, its disgusting," she said in one clip played before sentencing. "Just knowing there was a human remain in my mouth is tearing me apart inside."

Although authorities suspected a hoax — in part because the finger wasn't cooked — word of the stomach-turning find quickly spread around the world. The Dublin, Ohio-based fast food chain claimed it lost $2.5 million in sales because of the bad publicity and dozens of workers at the company's Northern California franchises were laid off.

The sentencing followed a 90-minute hearing in which several Wendy's employees testified, including the man who made the chili and the cashier who helped Ayala on the day she made the claim.

"I felt so bad for the fear of what people would think of me," said Hector Pineda, who made the chili and initially came under suspicion. "We are the ones that have suffered."

No Wendy's employee was missing a digit at the San Jose restaurant, and no chili suppliers reported finger injuries at their plants.

In April, Ayala was arrested at her suburban Las Vegas home for filing a false claim against the restaurant chain. Investigators found a pattern of legal claims she brought against businesses in her name or for her children.

A lengthy search for the finger's owner eventually pointed to one of Plascencia's co-workers, who lost it in an accident at the paving company where they worked, police said. Plascencia bought the tip of Brian Rossiter's right ring finger for $100 and told him what he and Ayala were plotting, according to court documents. Rossiter later told police the couple offered him $250,000 to keep quiet.

During a recorded jailhouse phone call, Ayala bragged about how other inmates were asking for her autograph, according to a transcript of the call.

Ayala was also convicted of defrauding a woman by selling a motor home she didn't own and Plascencia was convicted for failing to pay child support.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:53 pm

These people are freaks. It's amazing what people will do to make money - as long as they don't have to work for it.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:58 pm

Good to see these folks get put away for a long time. Way too much fraud going on unpunished in this country. I guess we can thank the push up bra for that.

On a sidebar, Roseanne is slated to play the part of Ayala in the soon to be made TV movie. :-b
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Redskins Win » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:01 pm

MadScott wrote:On a sidebar, Roseanne is slated to play the part of Ayala in the soon to be made TV movie. :-b

Nice, but I'd rather see Rosie Perez

These people are ridiculous heathens.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:22 pm

Another great example of American Ingenuity..... :-t
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:49 pm

Is there actually a number in there? How long is lengthy in this day and age?
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:56 pm

Homeless wrote:Is there actually a number in there? How long is lengthy in this day and age?

She's going away for 9 years. I'd say that's fitting.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:00 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
Homeless wrote:Is there actually a number in there? How long is lengthy in this day and age?

She's going away for 9 years. I'd say that's fitting.
I don't know. I heard that she could get as many as 13 years and truthfully wish that she would have got that. Fraud claims in this country truly are spiralling out of control and all that gets passed on to us, the rest of the public. Sorry for the hardened edge but this type of thing strikes pretty close to home.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby UTLonghorns » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:03 pm

Wow, I wish we were more like China.

No crazy people, and tons of bikes!
UTLonghorns
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb Supporter

Postby jayday » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:05 pm

I agree, too much fraud....maybe this will deter them....but unlikely...
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Next

Return to General Talk