What happened in the NBA last night? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

What happened in the NBA last night?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby J2thez929 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:30 pm

Antonio should be commended for protecting his wife and acting real civil about the situation. He just went up there to make sure nothing happened and walked back calmly with security.

IMO, the real problem is the NBA's lack of security and control on the fans. It's sad if players have to watch and protect their families during the game. That should be security's job!
Last edited by J2thez929 on Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8041
Joined: 6 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: C-Town, OH - Dawg Bone Country

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:38 pm

knapplc wrote:
Redskins Win wrote:I think you're wrong. In no way does a player go into stands at anytime during a game. He has to be punished in some capacity, definately no where near the severity of the palyers in detroit last season. But still I think Stern needs to reinforce his ruling. Besides he's the president of the players association he needs to be a model example.

You're not married are you RW?


I'm not and don't get me wrong I understand fully what Davis did.
And I would do the same thing in his shoes most likely, or maybe sent security to his wife. Now there are consequences to his actions he knew the second he stepped into the seats there would be some kind of consequnece. Again I don't think it should very harsh but one or two games. Just to show all the players in the league if you intentionally go into the stands during a game for any reason there will be consequences.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8272
Joined: 23 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:39 pm

Redskins Win wrote:I'm not and don't get me wrong I understand fully what Davis did.
And I would do the same thing in his shoes most likely, or maybe sent security to his wife. Now there are consequences to his actions he knew the second he stepped into the seats there would be some kind of consequnece. Again I don't think it should very harsh but one or two games. Just to show all the players in the league if you intentionally go into the stands during a game for any reason there will be consequences.

I can't disagree with your logic, and I think it would be a bad message if they did NOTHING to him, but I can empathize with Davis more than the NBA in this.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Postby mikus » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:43 pm

Now that I have some grasp of this situation, here is what I think:

The refs were correct in ejecting Davis, b/c players are not allowed to go in the stands.

However, I do not think he should serve any kind of suspension b/c of the nature of his "crime." He did not seek out a fan, or throw a punch. He went up there to prevent anything from happening to his wife, and never took action against anyone. If Stern makes a martyr out of this guy by suspending him, the NBA suffers. What message would that send? Don't protect your family??? This situation is completely different from the Ron Artest fiasco, and it should be treated differently. The rule should not be a blanket rule, but should be handled individually.
Image
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 4658
Joined: 20 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:46 pm

mikus wrote:Now that I have some grasp of this situation, here is what I think:

The refs were correct in ejecting Davis, b/c players are not allowed to go in the stands.

However, I do not think he should serve any kind of suspension b/c of the nature of his "crime." He did not seek out a fan, or throw a punch. He went up there to prevent anything from happening to his wife, and never took action against anyone. If Stern makes a martyr out of this guy by suspending him, the NBA suffers. What message would that send? Don't protect your family??? This situation is completely different from the Ron Artest fiasco, and it should be treated differently. The rule should not be a blanket rule, but should be handled individually.

Agree 100%
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:50 pm

mikus wrote:Now that I have some grasp of this situation, here is what I think:

The refs were correct in ejecting Davis, b/c players are not allowed to go in the stands.

However, I do not think he should serve any kind of suspension b/c of the nature of his "crime." He did not seek out a fan, or throw a punch. He went up there to prevent anything from happening to his wife, and never took action against anyone. If Stern makes a martyr out of this guy by suspending him, the NBA suffers. What message would that send? Don't protect your family??? This situation is completely different from the Ron Artest fiasco, and it should be treated differently. The rule should not be a blanket rule, but should be handled individually.


I think the martyrs were made last season. Anything Stern does punishment wise would be enforcement.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8272
Joined: 23 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby xted30 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:40 pm

mikus wrote:Now that I have some grasp of this situation, here is what I think:

The refs were correct in ejecting Davis, b/c players are not allowed to go in the stands.

However, I do not think he should serve any kind of suspension b/c of the nature of his "crime." He did not seek out a fan, or throw a punch. He went up there to prevent anything from happening to his wife, and never took action against anyone. If Stern makes a martyr out of this guy by suspending him, the NBA suffers. What message would that send? Don't protect your family??? This situation is completely different from the Ron Artest fiasco, and it should be treated differently. The rule should not be a blanket rule, but should be handled individually.


Well said. Couldn't agree more.
xted30
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 630
Joined: 29 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Cincinnati

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:06 pm

I would understand the ejection. I don't follow basketball too much cause it's never really interested me. As far as him getting security though, he said in the article that he didn't think about it because he was wanting to protect his wife. I guess thinking about it I can reason why they ejected him, rules are in place. But I still don't think Stern should go as far as suspending him. I think that'd be ludicrous.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 8165
Joined: 1 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby HskrPwr13 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:22 pm

99% of the problems with fan behavior at sporting events can be solved by implementing two words:

ALCOHOL - FREE
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3936
Joined: 8 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:24 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:99% of the problems with fan behavior at sporting events can be solved by implementing two words:

ALCOHOL - FREE
But if you give free alcohol won't that cause even more problems? ;-)
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 14:13 hours
(and 37 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact