**Greatest Historical Figure Of All Time Nominations** - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

**Greatest Historical Figure Of All Time Nominations**

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby josebach » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:03 am

VaderFin wrote:
josebach wrote:
knapplc wrote:
josebach wrote:
Nfl Fan wrote:"Greatest Historical Figure of all Time"

I nominate Jesus, the Christ.

Born of a virgin.
Lived a sinless life.
Performed incredible miracles.
Sufferred a horrendous death for the redemption of man.
Rose from that same death.
Changed the world more than any single other life.
and...
Promised to return during the generation that sees the rebirth of Israel into their homeland (May 14, 1948). FYI, that would be this generation.

Yeah, I nominate that guy! ;-D

Gosh, you have to feel lucky we were fortunate enough to be born into a Christian society. Kinda have to feel sorry for the other 4 billion people on the planet that never even had a chance. :-/

Please continue this discussion in another thread. I don't want this one locked up because someone disagrees with someone else's beliefs.

Thanks for your understanding! ;-D

There's really nothing to continue. I just felt like I was being preached at, and I was just pointing out that worldwide, Nfl Fan held a minority opinion. Was this wrong to point out? I think maybe, we should all have a little more understanding, yes?

Anyway, carry on. ;-D

The point is we don't want the thread to go on a tangent and get locked or deleted. ;-D

Yes, I understood the point. Carry on. ;-D
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VaderFin » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:56 am

The nomination list has been updated and can be seen under my fist post on page 1. We may have exhausted the nominations but there is still a week left if you think of anyone else. ;-D
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:51 am

VaderFin wrote:The nomination list has been updated and can be seen under my fist post on page 1. We may have exhausted the nominations but there is still a week left if you think of anyone else. ;-D

That's possible; now we have to lobby for our picks to make it in. I'll be providing "compelling evidence" for including the guys I nominated - if you don't give reasons why your guy should be in, don't be surprised when he doesn't make it.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:36 pm

Julius Caesar – ended the nearly 400-year Roman Republic period single-handedly. A master of War, Politics and Rhetoric, loved by men, lusted after by women. Easily one of history’s most intelligent individuals. Caesar began his career at age 15 at the death of his father when he inherited large tracts of land. He won the highest honor for Bravery (corona civica) given to a Roman Soldier during the siege of Miletus. Caesar generalled Roman Legions in several campaigns against the Gauls – long a source of terror for Rome – subjugating them and adding their lands to the Republic. His triumph over Vercingetorix at the Battle of Alesia (very much worth reading about – an amazing battle) broke the back of Gallic resistance and made Caesar the undisputed commander of what is now France. His triumphal return to Rome was marred by discord in the Senate, prompting the famous Crossing of the Rubicon and open civil war with his rivals. Caesar was instrumental in forming the first Triumvirate (Rule of Three) with Pompeius Magnus (Pompey the Great) and Marcus Crassus, Pompey being the military “expert,” Crassus being the financial backer and Caesar being the politician. However, Caesar eventually surpassed Crassus and Pompey in each of their fields of “expertise” as well. Civil war prompted a final end to this Triumvirate (Crassus had already died in Persia) when Pompey led the forces of Rome against Caesar’s legions. In two short battles Caesar defeated “The Great” Pompey and took over control of the Republic as Dictator. His brilliance in oratory, his unsurpassed generalship and his political savvy made him one of the most amazing people of his day. A man like Caesar would be successful in any time period, any age. Caesar was undoubtedly one of history’s brightest stars.

Sun Tzu – The man wrote what is, nearly 2,500 years after its conception, one of the leading books on warfare in the world today. Sun Tzu breaks down in basic terms the various facets of warfare – the march, the preparation for battle, the intelligence necessary to gain advantage in battle (where the battle is actually won), maneuvers, tactical layouts of the army, etc. Everything you want or need to know to wage a successful war is covered here in basic terms. The man wrote the MANUAL for war – how can he not be included in history’s most important figures in war?

Subedei – Apparently a rather unknown figure, Subedei was the primary general under Genghis Khan who overran Mongolia, China, Central and Western Asia, and Eastern Europe including what is today Bulgaria, Russia, Ukraine, Hungary, Poland and Austria. Why include a general rather than Genghis Khan himself? Easy – while Genghis was the Head of the Mongol Empire, Subedei was the actual ground-force commander, making decisions and directing the campaign. While in Eastern Europe Subedei acted under Batu Khan, the grandson of Genghis. However, again Batu was the figurehead leader of the army, while Subedei was the nuts-and-bolts leader. It is the equivalent of nominating Patton, MacArthur or Eisenhower instead of FDR. Roosevelt was the leader of the U.S. during WWII; Patton, MacArthur and Eisenhower led the forces on the ground. It was Subedei who ran the campaigns which overran 2/3 of the Asian and European continents. If you want to nominate Alexander because of his conquests, you have to nominate Subedei for his.

Napoleon – I don’t think I need to explain much about Mr. B here. He took over most of Europe with some brilliant generalship, which he displayed very early in his career in Italy and Austria. His ultimate military demise was only afforded thanks to an alliance of the other great European military powers. At the time of his defeat in Waterloo, Napoleon controlled territories ranging from France to Moscow in Russia (well, almost), Germany to Italy. On a personal note, I recently visited Napoleon’s tomb in Paris. The cocksure S.O.B. designed his own tomb under the cupola at Les Invalides – who else does that? It’s set up so that you walk in to the main dome where you overlook the tomb from above. You then take the stairs to the tomb level where you see it raised on a dais slightly above you. The point? When you first look at the tomb from above you’re bowing to him, and when you get down to the crypt you’re looking up at him. How amazing that he would even think about that! Arrogant little pissant frog, how I love him so!!

Alexander – the first of the great “world conquerors.” Alexander took control of Macedonia after his father’s murder. Regarded as perhaps the greatest general ever, he immediately set off on a campaign to subjugate the Greek City-States, razing Thebes to the ground in the process. With this base behind him he set off on a quest to subjugate the Persian Empire, then under the rule of Darius III (who may have had a hand in the assassination of Philip, Alexander’s father). He won decisive battles at Granicus and Issus during his conquest of Turkey and what is today Lebanon and Israel. He “freed” Egypt from Persian rule and continued back up the Levant coast toward the epic final confrontation with the Persian war machine at Gaugamela. Alexander’s understanding of siegecraft was impressive at Halicarnassus, Tyre and Gaza, all of whom resisted fiercely but ineffectively. At the time of his death Alexander had conquered more territory than any other general before him – all in only twelve years. His was a most impressive life.

William the Conqueror – it’s hard not to vote for a man whose name includes “Conqueror.” William was the grandson of one of history’s best-named Kings – Ethelred the Unready. That alone should qualify him, but in the end it’s his conquest of what is now England and Scotland that makes him so important to history. At the time of William’s ascension England was ruled by Anglo-Saxon noblemen who were backward freaks (allegedly). William’s victory at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 brought England out of it’s dark ages and into a more “modern” era which through many evolutions lasts to this day.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Vikes Rule 88 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:24 pm

Sci: Aristotle, Confuscious, Socrates

Politics: Ghandi

need a sig? PM me
Vikes Rule 88 Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:06 pm

Are there going to be any more nominations or should we just get busy with the seedings and prepare to start the tournament?

Nominations are scheduled to go through this Saturday (1/28/06) but there haven't been many discussions recently.

If there's someone you REALLY think should be seeded, you'd better start lobbying NOW or they may be left off.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Slingblade » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:44 pm

knapplc wrote:Are there going to be any more nominations or should we just get busy with the seedings and prepare to start the tournament?

Nominations are scheduled to go through this Saturday (1/28/06) but there haven't been many discussions recently.

If there's someone you REALLY think should be seeded, you'd better start lobbying NOW or they may be left off.

I got a couple i'm working on. Will put them up tomorrow.
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby VaderFin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:53 pm

Nominations are now closed. Early I know.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:23 pm

josebach wrote:
VaderFin wrote:
josebach wrote:
knapplc wrote:
josebach wrote:
Nfl Fan wrote:"Greatest Historical Figure of all Time"

I nominate Jesus, the Christ.

Born of a virgin.
Lived a sinless life.
Performed incredible miracles.
Sufferred a horrendous death for the redemption of man.
Rose from that same death.
Changed the world more than any single other life.
and...
Promised to return during the generation that sees the rebirth of Israel into their homeland (May 14, 1948). FYI, that would be this generation.

Yeah, I nominate that guy! ;-D

Gosh, you have to feel lucky we were fortunate enough to be born into a Christian society. Kinda have to feel sorry for the other 4 billion people on the planet that never even had a chance. :-/

Please continue this discussion in another thread. I don't want this one locked up because someone disagrees with someone else's beliefs.

Thanks for your understanding! ;-D

There's really nothing to continue. I just felt like I was being preached at, and I was just pointing out that worldwide, Nfl Fan held a minority opinion. Was this wrong to point out? I think maybe, we should all have a little more understanding, yes?

Anyway, carry on. ;-D

The point is we don't want the thread to go on a tangent and get locked or deleted. ;-D

Yes, I understood the point. Carry on. ;-D

Oh, Boo-Hoo! :~(
People need to put away the hanky and not be so friggin 'sensative!'

Too many crybabies out there anymore.

But, if it helps...
Sorry I offended you! I just happen to dig the guy.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:13 pm

NFL, please do us a favor and try to refrain from strident lobbying like that. We're going to do our best to run the tournament without getting any threads locked.

Any debate not 100% ready for the public forums can always be carried out via PM. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to General Talk