Wilson Pickett - Dead - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Wilson Pickett - Dead

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Nilmerf » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:39 pm

Siouxsie wrote:
Lushcrush wrote:Besides all the rest, I particularly lliked his "Hey Jude" done with Duane Allman down in Muscle Shoals. Wow ...
Check it out on the Duane Allman Anthology. ;-D

I like Duane Allman's slide guitar work
on Layla & Assorted Love Songs.
Especially on
I Looked Away

You just gained 400 cool points. However, Duane didn't appear on "I Looked Away". He joined the band when they already had recorded the first three tracks. Most all of the other slide guitar on the album is him, most notably the solo on "Layla". I love "Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad?", because Duane does the lead, with a badass solo that Eric joins him halfway through in.

As pertaining to the topic, RIP Pickett.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Siouxsie » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:48 am

Nilmerf wrote:
Siouxsie wrote:
Lushcrush wrote:Besides all the rest, I particularly lliked his "Hey Jude" done with Duane Allman down in Muscle Shoals. Wow ...
Check it out on the Duane Allman Anthology. ;-D

I like Duane Allman's slide guitar work
on Layla & Assorted Love Songs.
Especially on
I Looked Away

You just gained 400 cool points. However, Duane didn't appear on "I Looked Away". He joined the band when they already had recorded the first three tracks. Most all of the other slide guitar on the album is him, most notably the solo on "Layla". I love "Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad?", because Duane does the lead, with a badass solo that Eric joins him halfway through in.

As pertaining to the topic, RIP Pickett.

I went to my BF and asked him about this .. because he's the one to explain it to me. He has pointed out those riffs to me before.
Here's what he said:
That you must have some knowledge and experience in this matter. And great taste (not tastes great) :lol:
And that whereas you're correct - Duane Allman was never really in Delaney & Bonnie & Friends (read: Eric Clapton)
and even though I Looked Away was recorded before ..
it was overdubbed w/ Duane's slide guitar.
If you listen to the track - you can tell it's overdubbed .. and that it's the same slide as the other tracks.

Regardless, I love that sound ..
but I feel Duane is the player.

Where do you get your information? Are you in the business?

PS My fave song during that era is really
Let It Rain with Eric's 2 minute, 3 guitar Break.
judge me if you must !
Siouxsie
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Nilmerf » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:56 pm

No, I am not in the music business. Although I do play guitar. If you check out my location you'd see that if I'm listening to this album until the end of time I should know something about it.

The first three tracks on the album do not have Duane Allman on them. I'm 99% sure.. the missing 1% being because I wasn't there when it was recorded. Listen to "Bell Bottom Blues", which is completely Clapton and his Stratocaster (proof here), and listen to "Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad", which is mostly Allman and his Les Paul. Then see which one sounds most like the work on "I Looked Away". It's definitely the Stratocaster. All of the electric guitars on the first three tracks are Clapton overdubs.

I consider the two Jimi/my's and the two Dominos to be the best guitarists ever, but Allman is my personal favourite. He has the same birthday as me (Nov. 20). I'm sad that he died, but if he hadn't we wouldn't have "Free Bird" or "Melissa".. and maybe not "Jessica" either.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Lushcrush » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:35 pm

I downloaded it and stuck it into Itunes. Sounds like Ole Slowhand to me ... unless that is Duane noodling around on the turnarounds.
Sounds like Clapton noodling to me.
Back to Wilson ... I saw this on TV the other night.
The guy running Muscle Shoals recording studio got a call from a guy that heard Wilson Pickett was in town and wanted to come play guitar. He said he thought "Yeah, whatever" but the guy wouldn't give up. The guy on the phone asked if he could just come hang around. It was Duane Allman.
The Summer Of Love hadn't exactly make it to Alabama at that time. It was awkward trying to get a restaraunt to serve a black man in the group (Pickett) without throwing a hippie in the mix(Allman).
According to the regular Muscle Shoals Studio lead guitar player who was interviewed for the documentary, one day the band went out to eat and left Wilson and Duane behind cause they knew they wouldn't be served with them, promising to bring something back later.
While the band was gone, Duane put the Hey Jude thing down on Wilson. He liked it ... and by the time the band returned they were ready to record.
A classic tune ... Wicked Pickett
If you haven't ever listened to the Duane Allman anthology, it gets ;-D ;-D ;-D from me. All his early stuff when he was out jamming with anybody of a like mind.
Here is a link that kinda picks up on that.
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk