US Women's hockey - a new low - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

US Women's hockey - a new low

Moderator: Football Moderators

US Women's hockey - a new low

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:42 am

WARROAD, Minn. (AP) — The Warroad High School boys' hockey team squeaked out a 2-1 victory over the U.S. Olympic women's hockey team on Wednesday.
Allen McBride's goal with 3:52 remaining — a backhand past Team USA goalie Chanda Gunn — proved to be the game-winner.

"They were nice to put a team up against us that was spirited and you could tell by the reactions that it meant as much to those kids as it does to us," Team USA coach Ben Smith said. "Hockey is hockey. I think the people liked it. It seemed like a nice crowd and just a wonderful evening."

About 1,500 people turned out for the exhibition game, which was non-checking.

Kirk Olimb gave the Warriors a 1-0 lead at 13:58 of the first period when he put a shot from the high slot past Gunn.

Natalie Darwitz scored Team USA's lone goal at 4:26 of the second period. Darwitz's shot appeared to hit the crossbar, but officials — after three more minutes of play — conferred and ruled that the shot had gone into the net.

That tied the game and set up McBride's game-winner. Warroad goalie Tyler Potts then stopped a couple of Darwitz shots in the final 25 seconds.

Warroad held a 24-23 edge in shots.

I thought our women's hockey team was supposed to be good? How can any team of High School kids beat what would amount to a professional team (if there were such a thing in women's hockey)?

I think this does not bode well for our gold medal chances...
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VaderFin » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:43 am

The sad thing is they will get gold or silver.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:10 am

Man, that's got to demoralize you a little bit if you're a pro team...women or men. Of course, for the high schoolers, they can say they beat a bunch of girls. :-b
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:30 am

There was talk a while ago about Serena Williams playing in some men's tournament and they were discussing her likelihood at success. I believe that it was Billie Jean King who said that she had absolutely no chance. Her reasoning was pretty simple. Generally speaking, women reach their athletic peak in their teenage years. Men reach their althetic peak in their twenties. If teenage boys can't compete against grown men, what reason is there to think that teenage girls (or any women for that matter) can?

Oh, and don't bring up the Billie Jean King vs Bobby Riggs battle of the sexes thing. Billie Jean King was in her prime and Bobby Riggs was 55... and it still went to three sets.
Last edited by josebach on Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:33 am

Yet, Michelle Wie is playing in men's tournaments at the hopes of her getting to the third day. Last week she played in a tournament and was like +9 the first day. I think she did OK the second day (tied for lowest round or close to it), but still...she would basically have to play two perfect rounds for her to make it. She's also playing on her home courses which she should know fairly well.

(Not bashing women there! The PGA is trying novelty to attract attention to itself, though)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:36 am

Mercer Boy wrote:Yet, Michelle Wie is playing in men's tournaments at the hopes of her getting to the third day. Last week she played in a tournament and was like +9 the first day. I think she did OK the second day (tied for lowest round or close to it), but still...she would basically have to play two perfect rounds for her to make it. She's also playing on her home courses which she should know fairly well.

I though Michelle Wie playing in men's tournaments is kind of a joke. Arguably the best woman golfer of all time Anika Sorenstam, played in a men's tournament and couldn't make the cut, yet Michelle Wie is going to play against the men without having won even a LPGA event? Come on.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Redskins Win » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:52 am

That's funny. Though I can't imagine those chicks are much older than 21. I wonder if any of the dudes scored more than a goal.

Hey baby why don't you take out your teeth and come over here for a little fore checking errr I mean foreplay ;-D
Last edited by Redskins Win on Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:02 am

I'd like to see one of the Williams sister play in mens tennis. Like to see the feminist crowd take a whooping :-b
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Atog » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:05 am

I'm guessing that the Women's Hockey team wasn't really trying in a kind of reverse-Harlem-Globetrotters kind of way.
And it was non-checking.

If I was playing the Women's hockey team, I might accidentally "check" one of them...Incidental contact!
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:13 am

Mercer Boy wrote:Yet, Michelle Wie is playing in men's tournaments at the hopes of her getting to the third day. Last week she played in a tournament and was like +9 the first day. I think she did OK the second day (tied for lowest round or close to it), but still...she would basically have to play two perfect rounds for her to make it. She's also playing on her home courses which she should know fairly well.

(Not bashing women there! The PGA is trying novelty to attract attention to itself, though)

Actually Wie is as competitive in those tournaments as I would expect a male at her age to be. She hasn't made a cut yet but I can't imagine why she won't someday.

Golf, of course, is not so much a physical sport (aside from teeing off) as it is a skill. If she can get two of her shots to equal two of the mens' she'll be competitive. All it means for her is a longer club on her second shot than they have on theirs, but she has the same constraints of accuracy as they do.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk