College not enough? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

College not enough?

Moderator: Football Moderators

College not enough?

Postby mikus » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:18 pm

Good thing I spent six years in college instead of four ...

Link
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:51 pm

All this means is that more people saved money for their kids' college education...that doesn't necessarily mean that the kid belonged in college! ;-7

On a side note, I think this Pew dude that has all these academic foundations is related to one of the people who founded the place I went to college. :-]
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:55 pm

The lack of basic Math skills has to be in part caused by the proliferation and use of calculators in school nowadays.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby skibrett15 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:11 pm

That's a pretty broad generalization, but I agree it can't help. I think most reputable math courses have examinations without calculators. When people start using a calculator to store their notes in, it's no longer a calculator-it's a computer.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:05 pm

skibrett15 wrote:That's a pretty broad generalization, but I agree it can't help. I think most reputable math courses have examinations without calculators. When people start using a calculator to store their notes in, it's no longer a calculator-it's a computer.

a calculator is a computer.....
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:13 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:That's a pretty broad generalization, but I agree it can't help. I think most reputable math courses have examinations without calculators. When people start using a calculator to store their notes in, it's no longer a calculator-it's a computer.

If you could play games on a calculator math class would be such fun!
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby knapplc » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:19 pm

"It is kind of disturbing that a lot of folks are graduating with a degree and they're not going to be able to do those things," said Stephane Baldi, the study's director at the American Institutes for Research, a behavioral and social science research organization.

What I find more disturbing than that is that they needed a study to realize this. Our education system sucks. I thought this was obvious. I guess that the people running this study were educated in our education system, huh?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:58 pm

SniperShot wrote:
GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:

If you could play games on a calculator math class would be such fun!

you can.....
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:43 pm

I may get slaughters for this, but i think some of this has to fall on the parents. Its obvious that people will need to have knowledge of how to bank, credit cards and etc.etc. My parents taught me all of this. It seems that most people expect that the education teach EVERYTHING. My fiance is a teacher and they put alot of these people. Between the tests that the kids are expected to pass, there is such an focus on books and lack of real life knowledge.

Things i never learned in school, but at home:
1. How to keep up with a checking account
2. How to understand Credit Cards
3. How to write a check

These are just simple things that people use everyday but are not taught in schools or college. My cousin just got back from marine boot camp and he said one of the things that they had to learn understand how all 3 of those things works.

Just seems like the parents would be involved in some of their childrens education too.
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CHE » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:45 pm

Good thing im gona get a trade, and be gurantain a job every where i go ;-D
If you tremble indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine.- Ernesto Che Guevara
CHE
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to General Talk