College not enough? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

College not enough?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:16 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:
SniperShot wrote:
GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:That's a pretty broad generalization, but I agree it can't help. I think most reputable math courses have examinations without calculators. When people start using a calculator to store their notes in, it's no longer a calculator-it's a computer.

a calculator is a computer.....
If you could play games on a calculator math class would be such fun!

you can.....

Yeah really...how do you think most of us got through HS without going crazy?
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:21 pm

DelhommesFan1 wrote:I may get slaughters for this, but i think some of this has to fall on the parents. Its obvious that people will need to have knowledge of how to bank, credit cards and etc.etc. My parents taught me all of this. It seems that most people expect that the education teach EVERYTHING. My fiance is a teacher and they put alot of these people. Between the tests that the kids are expected to pass, there is such an focus on books and lack of real life knowledge.

Things i never learned in school, but at home:
1. How to keep up with a checking account
2. How to understand Credit Cards
3. How to write a check

These are just simple things that people use everyday but are not taught in schools or college. My cousin just got back from marine boot camp and he said one of the things that they had to learn understand how all 3 of those things works.

Just seems like the parents would be involved in some of their childrens education too.

100% correct. Those are things the parents need to teach their kids. Not the schools.

Also, for calculator games, those are everywhere on TI-83's and 89s... the "required" calculators needed for most upper level math classes nowadays.

Back in the day, the only calculator games I played were seeing how many words i could spell (hell, hello, google, boobies, etc.), as well as the 1 + 1 equals equals equals (and so on) game... basically adding one plus one over and over again. Winner is declared on who has the highest count at end of class. Cheating is encouraged (1.5 if your smart, 10 if you aren't).

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Vikes Rule 88 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:32 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:Also, for calculator games, those are everywhere on TI-83's and 89s... the "required" calculators needed for most upper level math classes nowadays.

Actually, in my math class they wont let us use those because many of us would just program equations in ;-)

need a sig? PM me
Vikes Rule 88 Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby moonhead » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:47 pm

i finded this link when i was brousing at the libary. college was the best decade of my life.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:58 pm

Back in "the old days" (meaning 10 years ago when I was a senior...jeez oh man) we had to graph functions on graph paper. Do you guys who are in high school now still do that, or do you all get off easy letting the TI-whatever do it for you?

They had just come out with the TI series when I was in school, so we used them for a little while just to see how to use one. We still did all our tests with graphing paper...even in college we did it that way.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:24 pm

moonhead wrote:i finded this link when i was brousing at the libary. college was the best decade of my life.

Good stuff moon. :-b

Mercer,
yes we still graph some work on PAPER. Lots of it is done on the calculator though. It is much quicker and much easier especially on more complex functions and equations.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby WickedSmaat » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:24 am

Mercer Boy wrote:Back in "the old days" (meaning 10 years ago when I was a senior...jeez oh man) we had to graph functions on graph paper. Do you guys who are in high school now still do that, or do you all get off easy letting the TI-whatever do it for you?

They had just come out with the TI series when I was in school, so we used them for a little while just to see how to use one. We still did all our tests with graphing paper...even in college we did it that way.

They pretty much tell to you to make a few dots and connect them. Crud like that, then basically it's told to us how to do on the calculators. I believe that's how it is now. We first started using graphing calculators about when we were in 7th grade (Math is pretty much my strongest subject, I was a year ahead and in the advanced placement classes). Anyways, when we started with them, we learned how to program them and the teachers didn't even know. Most of the time they were so oblivious these days. I think it's just that the younger guys now just don't know how to keep quiet when it comes to those situations, then the teachers still wouldn't know. I ended up finishing Calc III my freshman year at college and decided I didn't want to do math the rest of my life so I just moved into a different field of study... Poker.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby SeaWolf » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:58 am

What does this say about those of us who only have a High School Diploma? :-B
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby MadScott » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:19 pm

SeaWolf wrote:What does this say about those of us who only have a High School Diploma? :-B
Goes the other way, those are the millionaires. :-b
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk