Ray Lewis on the trading block - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ray Lewis on the trading block

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Azrael » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:07 pm

PACKman1144 wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:I'm sure Marvin Lewis would love to get his hands on Ray in Cincinnati, and move Thurman to OLB (or possibly even switch to the 3-4)....

You don't want Ray lewis as a 3-4 linebacker. he has been much more successful in the 4-3, when he is a true middle linebacker. When the Ravens switched to a 3-4 Ray Lewis and the defense suffered. He's much better in the 4-3

I agree. He's not one to shed blockers and make tackles. Ray was most effective when he had 2 big guys right in front of him to keep O-linemen from stepping out on him, allowing him to scrape and make tackles.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Atog » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:26 pm

This thread has been around for a good week--anything materializing yet?
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:56 am

Atog wrote:This thread has been around for a good week--anything materializing yet?

nada heard since... wait until after the Super Bowl.

That's when FA heats up and trade talks usually begin.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigGAME101 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:55 am

I cannot see the Ravens trading RayRay. Their team is in jeopardy in terms of maintaining a roster of talent as it is. They will likely lose one of either Taylor or Lewis, if not both. They are looking to deal McAllister, another move that will potentially diminish their fan-base. They do not have a stud QB or WR. The Ravens pride themselves in having a good D, and Ray is the leader of that unit. Let's put it this way: if the Ravens lose all of the aforementioned players, and draft or trade for an RB and QB, and keep Lewis, they are about in the same place as last year. If they lose all of the aforementioned players plus Lewis, they really don't even have a Raven identity anymore. Losing Lewis is the last of this team's problems. In fact, losing him will make their problems worse. He would be an amazing addition to any team that would take him from the Ravens, plain and simple.

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby MadScott » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:29 pm

bigGAME101 wrote:I cannot see the Ravens trading RayRay. Their team is in jeopardy in terms of maintaining a roster of talent as it is. They will likely lose one of either Taylor or Lewis, if not both. They are looking to deal McAllister, another move that will potentially diminish their fan-base. They do not have a stud QB or WR. The Ravens pride themselves in having a good D, and Ray is the leader of that unit. Let's put it this way: if the Ravens lose all of the aforementioned players, and draft or trade for an RB and QB, and keep Lewis, they are about in the same place as last year. If they lose all of the aforementioned players plus Lewis, they really don't even have a Raven identity anymore. Losing Lewis is the last of this team's problems. In fact, losing him will make their problems worse. He would be an amazing addition to any team that would take him from the Ravens, plain and simple.
The trouble is they may not have much of a choice the way that their free agents are stacked up and with the talent that will be left on the team. Clearly they are in a big state of flux right now, especially on the defensive side with so many bloated salaries. I know it's hard to trade such a marquee name, but why not cash in on his name value now while the market is still high on him? It certainly would go aways to help them rebuild quicker and possibly keep around some other younger pieces.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:20 pm

bigGAME101 wrote:They do not have a stud QB or WR.

Not true. Derrick Mason is underrated, but he is a great #1 WR and has been for several years. He went way under the radar this year due to horrific play at QB. If Boller develops or Baltimore upgrades its QB position somehow else, Mason will have a huge rebound.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:38 pm

maddog60 wrote:

Not true. Derrick Mason is underrated, but he is a great #1 WR and has been for several years. He went way under the radar this year due to horrific play at QB. If Boller develops or Baltimore upgrades its QB position somehow else, Mason will have a huge rebound.

i agree... but moreso. Do you know what Mason's numbers were this year? 86 rec., 1073 TDs. If that isn't a stud WR with Boller as your QB, I know nothing about football.

Granted, he had three TDs... but again... Boller.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Atog » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:37 pm

I'll add to this and say that it likely won't happen. The Ravens trading Ray would be like the Falcons trading Vick--sure, it should happen, but he's the face of the franchise. I'm sure that 50+% of Ravens Jersey sales are Ray's, and that would be a lot of angry fans.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby MadScott » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:49 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:
maddog60 wrote:

To further that, Boller didn't even play the majority of the season.
i agree... but moreso. Do you know what Mason's numbers were this year? 86 rec., 1073 TDs. If that isn't a stud WR with Boller as your QB, I know nothing about football.

You also have to factor in that Boller didn't play in 7 games this season. Mason had 45/620/2TDs with Boller and 41/453/1TD without him there.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:57 pm

MadScott wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:
maddog60 wrote:

To further that, Boller didn't even play the majority of the season.

You also have to factor in that Boller didn't play in 7 games this season. Mason had 45/620/2TDs with Boller and 41/453/1TD without him there.

Doesn't look like much of a difference to me.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk