Ray Lewis on the trading block - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ray Lewis on the trading block

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:28 pm

Azrael wrote:
MadScott wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:
maddog60 wrote:
bigGAME101 wrote:They do not have a stud QB or WR.

Not true. Derrick Mason is underrated, but he is a great #1 WR and has been for several years. He went way under the radar this year due to horrific play at QB. If Boller develops or Baltimore upgrades its QB position somehow else, Mason will have a huge rebound.

To further that, Boller didn't even play the majority of the season.
i agree... but moreso. Do you know what Mason's numbers were this year? 86 rec., 1073 TDs. If that isn't a stud WR with Boller as your QB, I know nothing about football.

Granted, he had three TDs... but again... Boller.
You also have to factor in that Boller didn't play in 7 games this season. Mason had 45/620/2TDs with Boller and 41/453/1TD without him there.

Doesn't look like much of a difference to me.

No... but Mason's skills lie in his consistancy. A better QB will better his numbers, no doubt, but he'll always bring in 80 catches a year.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigGAME101 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:43 pm

Mason is a very solid WR...very underrated to those who casually follow football. And yes, he will bring consistency and veteren leadership to the table. But he isn't a gamebreaker. Add to that Boller as his QB, and you get a duo that is not studly. It isn't Mason that is the problem per se, but that system just does not pride itself in QB-WR production; it prides itself in defence and running the football. In the same way that losing Jamal Lewis (and/or Taylor) will suck for this program, so will losing the anchor of your defense. I have a feeling Ray may have to restructure, but his value to the Ravens is more than to any other team in the NFL considering he is the coverboy for that organization. Let's put it this way: if the Ravens lose Ray Lewis this offseason, I don't see myself expending too much energy so that I can watch Baltimore play in 2006...the Ravens head office knows this.

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Timbathia » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:50 pm

If Ray Ray does end up being traded, I think you can possibly compare this to the John Lynch situation a few years ago. After leaving Tampa post injury, along with all the talk about losing a step etc, most people thought he was done.

Lynch has been back to the pro-bowl since then and done a huge amount for the Broncos defense. He has the same tangibles as Ray, veteran leader, both on-field and locker-room, makes up for his lost step by being smarter and knowing where to be.

Ray makes a HUGE acquisition for the right club.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby MadScott » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:14 am

Azrael wrote:
MadScott wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:
maddog60 wrote:
bigGAME101 wrote:They do not have a stud QB or WR.

Not true. Derrick Mason is underrated, but he is a great #1 WR and has been for several years. He went way under the radar this year due to horrific play at QB. If Boller develops or Baltimore upgrades its QB position somehow else, Mason will have a huge rebound.

To further that, Boller didn't even play the majority of the season.
i agree... but moreso. Do you know what Mason's numbers were this year? 86 rec., 1073 TDs. If that isn't a stud WR with Boller as your QB, I know nothing about football.

Granted, he had three TDs... but again... Boller.
You also have to factor in that Boller didn't play in 7 games this season. Mason had 45/620/2TDs with Boller and 41/453/1TD without him there.

Doesn't look like much of a difference to me.
True enough, but I would contend that if Boller and he had more time to gel through the year, those numbers would have been higher. Mason was able to have relatively similar numbers with QB play that was sub-Boller, which is hard to do.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk