Edgerrin James: FA? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Edgerrin James: FA?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:23 am

michaelavelli wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:Both Baltimore backs are free agents this year... I think either one would be studly in Indy, and with the crap year Jamal Lewis had last year, I think either of them can be signed for about half what Edge can...

Jamal Lewis would be a beast in Indianapolis... His struggles in Baltimore lately are the result of facing 10 guys in the box almost every down... Put him on an offense with a good passing attack to keep defenders honest and he's good for another 2,000+ yard season...

Chester Taylor ain't shabby, either....

Jamal Lewis, Chester Taylor, Najeh Davenport, Ahman Green, DeShaun Foster...there are going to be a LOT of running backs that can be signed for pretty cheap and do a respectable job in that Indy offense.

Also, about Freeney, yeah I know he's a free agent, I believe that the Colts are going to try and sign both long-term and use the franchise for either player if it doesn't work out. If they both don't work out I guess they're in trouble but I don't see that happening.

Think about this:

We could potentially have an off-season in which Edgerrin James, Jamal Lewis, Ahman Green, and Shaun Alexander are all FA's.

Yeah, but Ahman, Najeh, and Foster will all be coming off season-ending injuries....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MadScott » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:19 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
michaelavelli wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:Both Baltimore backs are free agents this year... I think either one would be studly in Indy, and with the crap year Jamal Lewis had last year, I think either of them can be signed for about half what Edge can...

Jamal Lewis would be a beast in Indianapolis... His struggles in Baltimore lately are the result of facing 10 guys in the box almost every down... Put him on an offense with a good passing attack to keep defenders honest and he's good for another 2,000+ yard season...

Jamal Lewis, Chester Taylor, Najeh Davenport, Ahman Green, DeShaun Foster...there are going to be a LOT of running backs that can be signed for pretty cheap and do a respectable job in that Indy offense.

Also, about Freeney, yeah I know he's a free agent, I believe that the Colts are going to try and sign both long-term and use the franchise for either player if it doesn't work out. If they both don't work out I guess they're in trouble but I don't see that happening.

Think about this:

We could potentially have an off-season in which Edgerrin James, Jamal Lewis, Ahman Green, and Shaun Alexander are all FA's.

Yeah, but Ahman, Najeh, and Foster will all be coming off season-ending injuries....
True enough but Najeh and Foster at least have youth on their side. Ahman's no spring chicken. He could well be the cheapest of the lot simply becaus of his age.

Also, throw in potentially Priest Holmes and Fred Taylor who may be salary cap casualties.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:10 pm

I don't think Lewis could play in Indy's system. He doesn't have the same fluidity or the hands a guy like Edge has. There has to be more to his downfall than what you pointed out. Chicago had a "turd" for a RB the last two years with absolutely horrid passing stats and TJ put up nice numbers, even though the other team knew they were going to run it down their throats. IMO, Lewis has a mental problem, and sometimes that can be worse than a physical one. That being said, Indy should have no problem drafting a back to fit their need. Nowadays, guys get fit to a system and seem to produce, when they could go to a different team and bust. There doesn't seem to be true studs anymore, just the proper pieces.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby louisianacajunsam » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:53 pm

i think short-term, ahman greens playing style definately fits the colts system better than any other free agents style....

being a good pass receiver is probably the main reason for that
louisianacajunsam
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby louisianacajunsam » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:54 pm

also, do any of you think the colts will try to convince marshall faulk to come back short-term....i think he has another real good season or two if he gets the chance...he looked good with the ball in his hands this season...all he needs is a backup to rotate occassionally or for if he gets hurt
louisianacajunsam
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:48 pm

louisianacajunsam wrote:also, do any of you think the colts will try to convince marshall faulk to come back short-term....i think he has another real good season or two if he gets the chance...he looked good with the ball in his hands this season...all he needs is a backup to rotate occassionally or for if he gets hurt

As a Colts fan with a love for nostalgia, I'd love to see Faulk come back to Indy for a year or two to team up with Rhodes. Bring it back to where it all started. It's fairly obvious that the Colts are going to be in a transitional phase at RB if Edge indeed leaves town, but I'm really not sure if Faulk is the transitional answer, even with someone splitting time. Still, it's an interesting idea and not one I'd object to seeing so long as it wasn't a money issue.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:05 pm

louisianacajunsam wrote:also, do any of you think the colts will try to convince marshall faulk to come back short-term....i think he has another real good season or two if he gets the chance...he looked good with the ball in his hands this season...all he needs is a backup to rotate occassionally or for if he gets hurt
Not a bad thought at all. I don't know if the Rams will part with him though, especially with Linehan at the helm, I can really seem him factoring into the game plan more this year.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby purestrength » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:38 am

For those who mentioned Freeney, I'm pretty sure he doesn't become a free agent until next year. Correct me if I'm wrong.
purestrength
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:16 am

purestrength wrote:For those who mentioned Freeney, I'm pretty sure he doesn't become a free agent until next year. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I wish you were wrong. Here's a list of what's coming up for the Colts in the offseason...

Players who will become unrestricted free agents at the end of the season include Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Mike Vanderjagt, David Thornton, Raheem Brock, Rob Morris, James Mungro, Troy Walters and Joseph Jefferson.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby michaelavelli » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:41 am

louisianacajunsam wrote:i think short-term, ahman greens playing style definately fits the colts system better than any other free agents style....

being a good pass receiver is probably the main reason for that

I second this. The Colts will want a RB who can catch out of the backfield. Jamal Lewis cannot do that, Green can.
michaelavelli
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk