Keys to the Game:Superbowl - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Keys to the Game:Superbowl

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keys to the Game:Superbowl

Postby UTLonghorns » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:22 am

First of all, I wasn't sure if this goes here, or Game commentary.

Secondly what do you think the keys are to this game. Here are mine.

Pittsburgh

Offense-Get the running game going. You got lucky last week, but you need to stick to your gameplan

Defense-Pressure Matt Hasselbeck. Give him time and he'll find the open guy.

Seattle

Offense-Mix it up. Dont commit to just using Alexander or just passing with Hass. Keep the defense of there heels and mix it up.

Defense-CONTAIN WILLIE! Hes a fast dude. You cant let him get outside and start up field.
UTLonghorns
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:29 am

Pittburgh

Off - Stay balanced. Don't play too close to the glove and run every down. You have a franchise/elite QB who can carry your team if need be, let him beat the Seahawks.

Def - Find a way to pressure Hasselbeck. A few sacks, some pressure, and half a dozen hits could go a long way to shutting down that offense.

Seattle

Off - Play it safe. Too many guys like Polumalu, Porter, Farrior, and Taylor can devastate you if you're sloppy. They need to trust that their offense is better than the Steelers and win the battle of fewest mistakes.

Def - Shut down Big Ben. Willie Parker won't beat you. Sorry Pitt fans, but this man had no heart yesterday, going down before being touched at times, and Bettis, while I love the Bus, is not going to single handedly carry his team to victory. If the Hawks make the Steelers beat them with the run, they can out-run them and win the game.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby WireWeasel » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:04 pm

First off...Congrats UTLonghorns for a great season...Vince Young is incredible...

Now...I don't believe The 'Hawks have a chance. The Steelers have proven they are a formiddable opponent. My point is, you almost can't have a gameplan against them...They used the running game to get them to the playoffs. But in the playoffs, they've been more a passing team. The most shocking being against Denver...90 yds rushing and 275 yds in the air.

I also feel that the way the steelers manage the clock is a big factor...The Cicny game was an exception...only a 3 minute difference in TOP. The Indy game was (roughly) 35 min. Steelers and 26 Colts. Almost a mirror at Denver with 36-24...

No team makes it through the playoff's with a "weak" team, but the seahawks have had a relatively easy road to Detroit...Let's face it, the NFC north aint the toughest place to play, and I don't think the seahawks have met a defense like the steelers, and the honorable Dick LeBeua.

There are so many figures to discuss, like the Steelers beating the 1,2,and 3 seeds, all on the road....Seahawks playing all their games at home....but I'll leave those arguments for someone else...

To Sum up, The Steelers just need to play Steelers Football... The Seahawks need to Figure out a way to stop the Offense and Big Ben. I think the Steelers defense is on a high right now and playing superb with young backs with blazing speed, and Joey Porter and the D-Line man-handling the opposing O-line. I will definetely eat my words if I'm wrong, but the Seahawks will be the team the loses the superbowl, and nobody remembers the team that loses....except the bills....
WireWeasel
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:10 pm

Keys:

1. Score lots of points

2. Stop other team from scoring points
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WireWeasel » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:11 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:Keys:

1. Score lots of points

2. Stop other team from scoring points

I was gonna say that, but didnt think it would be right considering my post-count........... ;-D ;-D
WireWeasel
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby tcpain » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:40 pm

Steelers all the way. Pitt has proven that they can stop the run, and defend the pass very well. I think that D will give Hasslebeck fits and give that Seahawk O-line all they can handle!!

I just think that the Steelers are too hungry right now, they are trying to send off Bettis to the HOF, with his last game being in his hometown!!!
Brad Edmonston
Commissioner-Real Deal NFFL, Real Deal MLB, Real Deal CFFD (Dynasty)
cburgess6@comcast.net
Co-Commissioner-Real Deal vs. Cafe (Real Deal = 1 / Cafe = 0)
tcpain
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Web Supporter

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm

Every talking head on local news, in newspapers, on ESPN, Fox, HBO, Satellite radio, and every football website on the planet is going to talk, talk, talk about the "Key To The Game" for the next 2 weeks until your head spins around like Linda Blair.
Because ... that's what they're paid for.

Da Wease is here to help.

Here's Da Wease's "Keys-To-The-Game" in only five (5) words:
1. Joey
2. Porter
3. and
4. Troy
5. Polamalu

ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:38 pm

WireWeasel wrote:First off...Congrats UTLonghorns for a great season...Vince Young is incredible...

Now...I don't believe The 'Hawks have a chance. The Steelers have proven they are a formiddable opponent. My point is, you almost can't have a gameplan against them...They used the running game to get them to the playoffs. But in the playoffs, they've been more a passing team. The most shocking being against Denver...90 yds rushing and 275 yds in the air.

I also feel that the way the steelers manage the clock is a big factor...The Cicny game was an exception...only a 3 minute difference in TOP. The Indy game was (roughly) 35 min. Steelers and 26 Colts. Almost a mirror at Denver with 36-24...

No team makes it through the playoff's with a "weak" team, but the seahawks have had a relatively easy road to Detroit...Let's face it, the NFC north aint the toughest place to play, and I don't think the seahawks have met a defense like the steelers, and the honorable Dick LeBeua.

There are so many figures to discuss, like the Steelers beating the 1,2,and 3 seeds, all on the road....Seahawks playing all their games at home....but I'll leave those arguments for someone else...

To Sum up, The Steelers just need to play Steelers Football... The Seahawks need to Figure out a way to stop the Offense and Big Ben. I think the Steelers defense is on a high right now and playing superb with young backs with blazing speed, and Joey Porter and the D-Line man-handling the opposing O-line. I will definetely eat my words if I'm wrong, but the Seahawks will be the team the loses the superbowl, and nobody remembers the team that loses....except the bills....
First, welcome WW. Great post and glad that you are hanging around some here. ;-D

Good points in what you bring up, but Pitt is by no means unbeatable. Seattle is going to present it's share of challenges to the Steelers as well, in particular the Seahawks offense, the top in the NFL this year, v. the Pitt defense.

You can run against Pitt, it's happened this year, especially in the games that they lost. Seattle has one of the top, if not the top Oline in football this year as well as the league MVP at RB. They destroyed a damn decent Carolina defense this past weekend. Yes, it was at home, but it's not like SA put all 1800 yards and 28 TDs up at Qwest field this past season.

I think if you also want to look at hot defenses, you need look no further than Seattle's right now. They put enormous pressure on Jake Delhomme this past weekend without blitzing. I'm not saying that will happen in the SB, but it's something worth considering.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Seattle is going to blow Pitt. away in the SB. Simply, I'm really looking forward to this being one of the better SBs that we've had in a time. It really is a battle of two teams really seeming to peak at the right time.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:04 pm

MadScott wrote:To Sum up, The Steelers just need to play Steelers Football...

The problem for Seattle, or anyone else for that matter, is that when the Steelers play "Steelers Football" the opposing QB first looks like a deer (Jake Plummer/Peyton Manning) caught in the headlights, then gets (Jake Plummer/Peyton Manning) rattled, then makes (Jake Plummer/Peyton Manning) forced throws and finally pees (Jake Plummer) his pants or disses his entire O line (Peyton Manning) post-game.

It's a real problem.

ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:17 pm

Here's my full fledged take.

Pitt's got the better team right now. And they're by no means a 6th seed. They were "this" close to hosting a home game in the playoffs. Their defense has so many ways to beat you it looks like they run 13 out there. The passing game is by far the stronger of the two heads for the offense. Sure, they run more than any other team, but anyone with an ounce of intuition will tell you that if you can't get to Ben and he capitalizes on his passes to Ward and Miller and Wilson and Randle El, then kiss your ass goodbye.

Seattle's firing on all cylinders too. If the East Coast Bias would shut their yaps and watch every Seahawks game outside of the ESPN highlights, they'd see a team that is primed for victory. That has eclipsed everyone's expectations. And could only do what the NFL would allow them to: Play a weak regular season schedule and kick ass 15 times this year.

It's an offense that is more balanced than any in the NFL. They'll run if we have to. They'll pass if we must. But Holmgren's proved this year he can do either to get the W.
You've just awoken to the biggest secret in the NFC, that Matt's the real QB. The kid has been unshakable this year. Even with Peppers hanging off his shoulderpad, both hands in his face mask he walks back to the line and get his offense set for the next play. That's not the same Matt last year. And that's the same story with the whole team. They're just different.

This is a game of last rites for Bettis. It's a game of anew for the Hawks. It's the rabid pass rush of the Steelers. It's the crushing blue wave of the Hawk Oline. It's a game FILLED with sure handed receivers and tight ends on both sidelines. It's the Chin versus the Walrus.

Here's to no injuries.

Two weeks is too long for a fan.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk