Keys to the Game:Superbowl - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Keys to the Game:Superbowl

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby awwchrist » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:28 pm

Bowie wrote:I'm liking some of these Seahawks fans' posts (biju's and awwchrist's specifically). You all are being thoughtful in your reasoning and giving lots of deserved credit to the Steelers. If I could convince you that you wouldn't be jinxing your team, would you tell me us what you really think?

What I really think is that I'm shocked there are so many arrogant Steeler fans that have really eclipsed, in my opinion, the good natured and well spoken Steeler staples of the Cafe.

It's easy to be modest and good natured towards the other team. You'd expect that most fans would give due credit to their opponent.

But I've been less than impressed with some of you here. Being that I've already put my 2cents out there that the Steelers will win a close one, I'll leave you with what I really know.

I know my teams not going to roll over like some of you assume. I know that my team isn't the fraud MOST of you suspect.

Should the Steelers win, you'll get nothing but a fair and honorable congrats from me, for all of you, cause your team will deserve it.

Should the Seahawks win however, some of you will see the better sportsman side of me. Those who would rather be humble and see a good game.

And some of you, who've done nothing but rehash the same old east coast bobble headed crap, who've elevated the Steelers to some mythological proportion so far as to denounce any chance of my Seahawks being competative in this game, who've made the game commentary forum a cesspool...

well you're not going to get anything less than what you've been dishing out since Sunday.

So you better pray to God, Allah, Buddah, Paul Tagliabue, and F'ing Ronald McDonald that your Steelers pull it out. Cause I will detonate on your ass.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bowie » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:47 pm

Alright, awwchrist. I kind of thought you would reply with something like, "Seahawks 42, Steelers 3 ;-D ", but that works too.

While I do think the Steelers will win a close one, there is one intangable people here seem to be missing. While the Seahawks have been playing consistantly good football all year, the Steelers didn't really play impressive football until the last few games of the regular season and the playoffs. If I were a Steelers fan right now, I would worry about what a two week break might do to all that momentum.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby awwchrist » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:53 pm

pitt 20 sea 17
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:02 pm

Azrael wrote:
biju wrote:
Azrael wrote:1. Steelers have just buried the top 3 seeds in the AFC IN THEIR OWN BUILDINGS, and I mean buried. Pay no attention to the Colts score; it wasn't near that close.

Yup, you guys are on fire while other teams have certainly struggled. I totally agree. You're lucky this game isn't in our house though.

Lucky? No, it's called the Superbowl. A game that will never be played in Pittsburgh or Seattle as long as their stadiums are outside or the season ends in January and February.

No, you're taking that out of context. I certainly didn't say you guys are lucky to be in the Superbowl, although I do believe it's better to be lucky than good in some of these games.

Azrael wrote:
biju wrote:
Azrael wrote:2. They've won 7 in a row, minus the Colts game, by no less than 2 TDs in each contest.

Just like to point out that those four during the regular season were against the Bears, Vikings, Browns and Lions plus a Carson Palmer-less Bengals unit. You beat the Colts and Denver which were teams worth beating.

You're right, the #2 seed in the NFC (Bears) was a garbage win. So was the Vikings who had won 6 in a row at the time. Forget about the Bengals if they lose 1 guy. ;-7

Yes, the #2 seed in the NFC did NOT deserve to be the #2 seed IMO. I think people vastly overestimated the Bears ability this year. And the Vikings wins came against teams like Detroit (twice), Green Bay, Cleveland, and a Bulger-less St. Louis. I'll give them the credit for beating the Giants.

Also if you don't believe in the "one guy" theory of losses, why did the Steelers lose to Baltimore?

Azrael wrote:
biju wrote:
Azrael wrote:5. Seattle struggled away from home this year, losing at Jacksonville and Washington and barely beating SF and Tennessee.

They have the same away regular season record as the Steelers.

edit: I think they are actually 6-2 in the regular season. Oops.

My point was that you lost both games you played against teams with winning records away from your own building. Your wins were StL, AZ, SF (struggled), Tenn (struggled). Pittsburgh beat SD, Cinci (oh, with Palmer), Green Bay, Minn, Cle, and Hou. And even though 4 of those wins weren't against good teams, they were all convincing.

I'll agree we struggled against some poor teams this year. I wouldn't be so quick to include the STL game as a "poor" team. This was the same team that one week later would have crushed (yes, crushed) Indianapolis if Bulger didn't go down with injury (uh oh, the "one guy" theory again). The WAS game we should have won and didn't.

Azrael wrote:
biju wrote:
Azrael wrote:6. You can't help who you play sometimes, but Pittsburgh's road to Detroit was much tougher. They are battle tested.

You're right, you can't help you you've been scheduled against. But this idea that the Steelers had a tougher road during the playoffs is silly. A month ago I don't think anyone in Pittsburgh would have minded being the top seed and a first round bye.

Are you serious? You are saying the Steelers' road has not been tougher. You mean beating the top 3 seeds (Indy, Den, and Cinci) away was not tougher than beating an offensively inept Washington team and a Carolina team with only one weapon (Steve Smith) at home. Surely you jest.

I honestly didn't say this properly. I'm not insinuating they didn't have a tough road. It was arguably the toughest road to the Superbowl to date. What I was arguing was that in doing so made them a better team. IF the Steelers could have the option of taking this road vs. taking the BYE week and then beating two teams at home I can guarantee what the answer would have been. I just don't want to hear people knocking a #1 seed for accomplishing what every team in the league is trying to do: get the #1 seed in the playoffs.

Azrael wrote:
biju wrote:
Azrael wrote:7. This being Seattle's first time this far, they may subconsciously be "just happy to get there"; while the Steelers have been bent on getting the Bus a ring since crumbling in the AFC Championship game.

This could be the case, although I'm going to attest that most players really don't care about the past Seattle teams and are simply content with getting to the Superbowl for the sake of Seattle's fanbase. Remember two things: players come from all over the nation and most of these guys were like 2 years old the last time Seattle won a playoff game. They could care less about "just getting there."

My point wasn't pertaining to Seattle teams failures 15-20 years ago but rather that this group from Seattle hadn't even made it to the conference championship let alone a superbowl, while the Steelers are constantly making deep runs in the playoffs and finally get a chance to capitalize.

So how many players from the Steelers team have been to the Superbowl vs. how many on this Seahawks team? If we're going to talk about experience I want you to answer this and tell me which team has "more experience" and which team may just be content getting there.

Also, how many times did Pittsburgh make it to the playoffs before their run in 1996? Did that help them win that Superbowl?

Seriously, I don't want to get into a long debate about tangibles that can't be measured so let's drop the "who had the tougher schedule" bit. You guys didn't play the 49ers so there isn't a good way to tell if they were a weak team the Steelers would have handled better. We had Tennessee, Houston, Jacksonville, Green Bay, and Indianapolis as common opponents of which I'll be willing to throw out the Green Bay and Indianapolis wins/losses since they weren't full teams when they were played (although we were handily beating a full Indy squad before the starters were pulled).

That leaves Tennessee (you beat in your turf, we squeaked by at their home), Houston (both were easy wins although we clearly beat them worse), and Jacksonville (both lost although yours was at home).

How about we just watch the game in a couple weeks and I'll be here to eat as much crow as you can cook up if the Seahawks lose. If they win get ready to do the same.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby biju » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:16 pm

Real quick: To be fair Azrael I'm not trying to end it without you getting a retort in. Please feel free to continue, I'm just going to hold off (for the most part).

I'm not trying to end this discussion with me getting the last word. ;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Apollo » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:51 am

Edit: softened language :*)

I'm impressed by the 'Hawks fans here. Smart and humble.

I don't have much of a preference here, because both of them are pretty good stories. But the Steelers are getting a little too much credit.

Throughout the playoffs, we've seen commentators get excited about the red-hot team with the worse record and the amazing defense. And then we've seen that team lose.

Remember when everyone was all excited about the red-hot Bears and their amazing defense? It was odd that nobody was paying attention to the fact that, well, they weren't really very good. And they lost to the Panthers.

And the red-hot Redskins had a good defense, and the Seahawks had played a lousy schedule, so it was trendy to pick the 'Skins. But it was odd that nobody was paying attention to the fact that, well, their quarterback was Mark Brunell. And they lost to the Seahawks.

So then everyone got excited about the red-hot Panthers and their amazing defense, and they were sure to knock off the soft 'Hawks. But it was kind of odd that nobody was paying attention to the fact they had absolutely no offense outside of Steve Smith. And they lost to the Seahawks.

And of course, on the AFC side, how bout those red-hot Patriots and their amazing defense? Oops, they ran into the Broncos.

The Steelers are probably the best of the red-hot teams with the amazing defenses, but let's not make the same old mistake of labeling the other team and assuming the Steelers will blitz them into submission. After all, it's kind of odd that nobody's noticing that they aren't really running the ball very well anymore.

If anybody can handle the Steelers defense, it's the 'Hawks offensive line, and they are two-dimensional enough to keep the Steelers honest. Their offense is definitely better than the Steelers', and their defense is good in its own right.

I don't think the case for the the 'Hawks is as strong as I'm making it sound. I'm sort of playing devil's advocate here. But they're not getting the credit they deserve, especially in the press.
Apollo
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mysticphysh » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:52 am

Wow...nobody will ever claim the Steeler fans as the smartest, but some in here obviously didn't understand the reason for this thread. I don't think it's meant as a "WOOOO STEELERS RULE!!"...thread...;-7

I think the key to both teams' offense is getting the running game going. After 3 straight weeks of beating teams with the pass, I think Seattle will be ready for it. Espically since the running game has been HORRIBLE.

Seattle D shouldn't worry too much about the running game and should consentrate on controlling passing lanes downfield. Pitt D has more to worry about. With the league MVP in the backfield, you HAVE to play the run, but can't let Matt beat you with the arm. So, they have to find a balance of run control and pressure on Matt.

Should be a great game ;-D
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mysticphysh » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:59 am

Was that humble enough for you guys?

I'm objectively biased. :-b

oh yeah...WOOO STEELERS RULE!!
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby fantasizing » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:50 pm

Some of you Steelers fans are something else. I mean claiming that Seattle has no chance is obsurd. Pittsburgh is beatable...Cinni put up 38 points on them IN Pittsburgh this season. They are good, but they're not that good. And Seattle's offense in my opinion is the best in the league...better than the Colts. Good luck manhandling the left side of Seattle's offensive line.

A team that has gone 15-3 this season has "no chance" against the almighty Pittsburgh Steelers.........lol......

The Steelers almost didn't make the playoffs....

Seattle is gonna win this game. They are destined to win the superbowl this season. That's my "keys" to the game.LOL
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mysticphysh » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:33 am

fantasizing wrote:Some of you Steelers fans are something else. I mean claiming that Seattle has no chance is obsurd. Pittsburgh is beatable...Cinni put up 38 points on them IN Pittsburgh this season. They are good, but they're not that good. And Seattle's offense in my opinion is the best in the league...better than the Colts. Good luck manhandling the left side of Seattle's offensive line.

A team that has gone 15-3 this season has "no chance" against the almighty Pittsburgh Steelers.........lol......

The Steelers almost didn't make the playoffs....

Seattle is gonna win this game. They are destined to win the superbowl this season. That's my "keys" to the game.LOL

Wow...you landblast the steeler fans for being confident in their team and then argue "destiny"? Awesome job ;-D

Just remember, everybody said the Colts were a team of destiny this year....and that went well. :-?
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk