Keys to the Game:Superbowl - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Keys to the Game:Superbowl

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The_Dude » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:40 pm

jh2031 wrote:No offense, but what does this have anything to do with Steelers/Seahawks? I don't really care what UW did to Miami...was it in the NFL?


As someone who has spent a considerable amount of time on both coasts, people back east have no idea what goes on out west, in any sport. And they seem shocked when any team west of the mississippi (or north of the 49th paralell) actually knows how to play any sport.

You've got two teams playing great football right now. I tend to agree with the general sentiment here among Seahawks fans that we are playing a great team, who's at the top of their game. But those who are calling for a "Steelers blowout," or that the 'Hawks are weak are definitely overstating their case.

To me, there are two keys to this game.

1.) Can Seattle's relatively small defense stop Pittsburgh's running game?

2.) Will Hasselbeck be rattled in the pocket by the blitzes?

I think the answer to both questions, in retrospect, will be 'No!'

I think the Steeler's will run at will, and Hasselbeck will put on a West Coast offense clinic.

A field-goal kicker will be the hero or the goat in this game.
Image

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Posts: 3481
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 14 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby jh2031 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:45 pm

biju wrote:
jh2031 wrote:
biju wrote:It's funny, I just realized that Seattle has actually been through this before. In 1991 the UW Huskies tied for the national title with Miami. When people on the East Coast were asked why they chose Miami over Washington they confessed that they had never watched a Washington game before but it would be difficult to believe there was a team better than Miami.

3 years later there was a ton of talk about a Miami team that had a record streak of home games won. This was a team that was still on top of the national polls. The Huskies, on the other hand, had fallen from their perch atop the Pac 10 and were no longer considered a dominant team. The two were scheduled to meet but few people put significance on the game as Miami, a team supposedly better than it's '91 counterpart, was expected to roll over the Huskies.

Final score: Huskies 38, Hurricanes 20. The Hurricanes' home winning streak was over.


No offense, but what does this have anything to do with Steelers/Seahawks? I don't really care what UW did to Miami...was it in the NFL?


Everyone pegs a hyped up east coast team to take down the lowly west coast team.

Seriously, I just saw someone write something in a different thread like "Being a Cincinnati fan I know Steelers football..." but it makes no mention of knowing anything about Seattle's game. My point was to merely express that I think a lot of people (media included) are looking at the Steelers and their history and thinking a team with no Superbowl history can beat them. It's quite silly...


Ok, I understand the thing about eveyone pegs a hyped up east coast team to take down the west coast team...but, why mention a college game? I could also bring up that a lot of people had USC winning last year and this year...but, who cares? It's a football game with two good teams.
jh2031
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 3595
Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Pittsburgh, PA....Awaiting our next Super Bowl

Postby mattb47 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:55 pm

fantasizing wrote:Some of you Steelers fans are something else. I mean claiming that Seattle has no chance is obsurd. Pittsburgh is beatable...Cinni put up 38 points on them IN Pittsburgh this season. They are good, but they're not that good. And Seattle's offense in my opinion is the best in the league...better than the Colts. Good luck manhandling the left side of Seattle's offensive line.

A team that has gone 15-3 this season has "no chance" against the almighty Pittsburgh Steelers.........lol......

The Steelers almost didn't make the playoffs....

Seattle is gonna win this game. They are destined to win the superbowl this season. That's my "keys" to the game.LOL


You can also make the point that the Steelers almost won their division so it goes both ways. The regular season has no bearing on this game right now. It's all about who is playing well right now so bringing up Cincy scoring 38 on PIT doesn't really have much bearing on this game. Both of these teams are playing very good football right now which is why this will be a great game. I think we need to throw out the ideas that Seattle is 15-3 and PIT is 14-5. Basically all that matters is that Seattle is 2-0 in the playoffs and PIT is 3-0 in the playoffs. PIT is beating teams on average in the playoffs 28-17. Seattle is beating teams 27-12 on average for the playoffs.

I know I've let my competitive nature get the best of me a little bit in these threads but let's give credit to both teams here. While it's ok to give your own opinions on things, using sarcasm and insults just shows that you can't forumlate an intelligent argument. Both teams are very good, probably both sides think that the other is a little overrated, and that's going to be normal in a big game like this. I obviously think PIT is going to win this game but if Seattle wins then that means they deserved it completely because they've had a great season. Good luck to both teams! (but a bit more to the steelers.... :-b )
Image
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14238
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:55 pm

jh2031 wrote:
biju wrote:
jh2031 wrote:
biju wrote:It's funny, I just realized that Seattle has actually been through this before. In 1991 the UW Huskies tied for the national title with Miami. When people on the East Coast were asked why they chose Miami over Washington they confessed that they had never watched a Washington game before but it would be difficult to believe there was a team better than Miami.

3 years later there was a ton of talk about a Miami team that had a record streak of home games won. This was a team that was still on top of the national polls. The Huskies, on the other hand, had fallen from their perch atop the Pac 10 and were no longer considered a dominant team. The two were scheduled to meet but few people put significance on the game as Miami, a team supposedly better than it's '91 counterpart, was expected to roll over the Huskies.

Final score: Huskies 38, Hurricanes 20. The Hurricanes' home winning streak was over.


No offense, but what does this have anything to do with Steelers/Seahawks? I don't really care what UW did to Miami...was it in the NFL?


Everyone pegs a hyped up east coast team to take down the lowly west coast team.

Seriously, I just saw someone write something in a different thread like "Being a Cincinnati fan I know Steelers football..." but it makes no mention of knowing anything about Seattle's game. My point was to merely express that I think a lot of people (media included) are looking at the Steelers and their history and thinking a team with no Superbowl history can beat them. It's quite silly...


Ok, I understand the thing about eveyone pegs a hyped up east coast team to take down the west coast team...but, why mention a college game? I could also bring up that a lot of people had USC winning last year and this year...but, who cares? It's a football game with two good teams.


I thought I started this out by saying Seattle has been through this before. I guess that would be the common thread between the cases here. Oddly enough, Seattle doesn't tend to care about USC. Along with watching some games out here you guys might also want to take a class in geography.

:-D

yeah, that's meant to be a joke
Image
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5941
Joined: 6 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Seattle - Ballard

Postby jh2031 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:01 pm

biju wrote:
jh2031 wrote:
biju wrote:
jh2031 wrote:
biju wrote:It's funny, I just realized that Seattle has actually been through this before. In 1991 the UW Huskies tied for the national title with Miami. When people on the East Coast were asked why they chose Miami over Washington they confessed that they had never watched a Washington game before but it would be difficult to believe there was a team better than Miami.

3 years later there was a ton of talk about a Miami team that had a record streak of home games won. This was a team that was still on top of the national polls. The Huskies, on the other hand, had fallen from their perch atop the Pac 10 and were no longer considered a dominant team. The two were scheduled to meet but few people put significance on the game as Miami, a team supposedly better than it's '91 counterpart, was expected to roll over the Huskies.

Final score: Huskies 38, Hurricanes 20. The Hurricanes' home winning streak was over.


No offense, but what does this have anything to do with Steelers/Seahawks? I don't really care what UW did to Miami...was it in the NFL?


Everyone pegs a hyped up east coast team to take down the lowly west coast team.

Seriously, I just saw someone write something in a different thread like "Being a Cincinnati fan I know Steelers football..." but it makes no mention of knowing anything about Seattle's game. My point was to merely express that I think a lot of people (media included) are looking at the Steelers and their history and thinking a team with no Superbowl history can beat them. It's quite silly...


Ok, I understand the thing about eveyone pegs a hyped up east coast team to take down the west coast team...but, why mention a college game? I could also bring up that a lot of people had USC winning last year and this year...but, who cares? It's a football game with two good teams.


I thought I started this out by saying Seattle has been through this before. I guess that would be the common thread between the cases here. Oddly enough, Seattle doesn't tend to care about USC. Along with watching some games out here you guys might also want to take a class in geography.

:-D

yeah, that's meant to be a joke


I believe you said "west coast" teams. I believe USC is on the west coast...or maybe not. :-? :-? :-? :-?
jh2031
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 3595
Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Pittsburgh, PA....Awaiting our next Super Bowl

Postby biju » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:26 pm

mattb47 wrote:Both teams are very good, probably both sides think that the other is a little overrated, and that's going to be normal in a big game like this. I obviously think PIT is going to win this game but if Seattle wins then that means they deserved it completely because they've had a great season. Good luck to both teams! (but a bit more to the steelers.... :-b )


I really don't think Pittsburgh is overrated. They beat Indy and that's kind of all you need to do to get over the "overrated" hump in my book.

I do think after watching the AFC Conference Championship game that Denver was overrated and (this sucks to say) that New England probably really did beat themselves instead of the Broncos winning.

My biggest hope for this upcoming game is a "no excuses" game, meaning nobody gets hurt, no bad penalty calls are made, etc. Nothing that can let the other team say "Well, we had it until <something> happened."
Image
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5941
Joined: 6 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Seattle - Ballard

Postby mattb47 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:18 pm

biju wrote:
mattb47 wrote:Both teams are very good, probably both sides think that the other is a little overrated, and that's going to be normal in a big game like this. I obviously think PIT is going to win this game but if Seattle wins then that means they deserved it completely because they've had a great season. Good luck to both teams! (but a bit more to the steelers.... :-b )


I really don't think Pittsburgh is overrated. They beat Indy and that's kind of all you need to do to get over the "overrated" hump in my book.

I do think after watching the AFC Conference Championship game that Denver was overrated and (this sucks to say) that New England probably really did beat themselves instead of the Broncos winning.

My biggest hope for this upcoming game is a "no excuses" game, meaning nobody gets hurt, no bad penalty calls are made, etc. Nothing that can let the other team say "Well, we had it until <something> happened."


Well....I wasn't necessarily saying that all Seahawks fans think that PIT is overrated and all PIT fans think that Seattle is overrated. It's just the idea I've got from a lot of them. People who say things like: PIT only beat Cincy cuz Palmer got hurt, they only beat Indy cuz they had a month off, and Plummer just played terrible against them. Same kind of things I hear about Seattle's wins as well.

I personally don't think that Seattle is overrated either, especially with them being the underdog in this game and all. I don't care who you're playing, to continue to win week in and week out is not easy. The sad thing is that most people just see what they want to see when they look at teams. If you really want PIT to win, Seattle starts to seem really overrated and vice versa.

I too hope that this is an injury free, poor penalty free ball game. I think it would be great to see a game as huge as this one not be influenced by those factors. The chances are slim that this will happen but it would sure make for one heck of a super bowl.
Image
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14238
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 17:26 hours
(and 35 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact