The problem with the Lions... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The problem with the Lions...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:52 pm

stomperrob wrote:And Bill Jr isn't perfect either (he admitted betting too heavily on SUV's and not looking to the future of more gas efficient vehicles and even alternative fuel vehicles).

At least they have admitted their mistake and are now aiming in the right direction - they could easily gone the route of GM and decided their future lies in SUV's and bigger vehicles regardless of trends.
Last edited by Cornbread Maxwell on Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:23 pm

Cornbread - your points are well-taken - very true that the auto industry and football have nothing in common and are not analogous - at first, my point was made semi tongue in cheek but then I thought dream_017 was being too kind to the Fords and I got a little carried away with my critique. I know too well the frustration of Lions' fans - I have family there and used to go to at least one game every year (haven't been for a few years now) - I can recall all too well sitting in the Silverdome with 25,000 other fans staring at 60,000 empty seats watching the usual Lions' exercise in futility (of course if the Bears were in town the seats were were full!). The fans there deserve better and it's hard to believe that after all this time that the Fords still can't seem to get it right. Why don't they do what other teams do - hire proven talent from other teams - why hire a TV announcer with absolutely no management background - what possible sense does that make??? It just that after all this time that they should have been able to get it right by now, especially when you look at how quickly some other doormat teams have turned it around.
I like the Lions - I just truly think their fans deserve a hell of a lot better!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:35 pm

stomerrob - in me you will find someone who is actually sympathetic to Millen. The team he took over was in much worse shape than most teams going through a rebuilding effort - the vast majority of the starters were out of the NFL within a few yrs and he inherited massive cap problems. Think about it - Millen took over a team with no running game, no QB, no WRs, no secondary, no Lbers, no young players to develop, and no money to go out and bring talent in. It was arguably one of the worst situations of the modern football era.

Now, Im not sure why the Fords chose Millen - Im certainly not going to defend his lack of experience. But at the same time, he has made a number of strong personel moves that has made this team full of young, talented players. Now, his hiring of Mooch was terrible - but at the time no one realized Mooch couldnt develop players or that he didnt have the common sense to tailor his sytem to the talent he had. It took 3 years to realize this massive mistake - but it was just the one mistake (a very very big one). Its not like Millen has done nothing for this team or that he regularly makes bad decisions - he has done a lot of very positive things, but his few mistakes overshadow all the good he has done.

Like I implied above - this team is in a position to leap up the NFL rankings - the players are there - now it just needs someone to lead and teach the players.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby awwchrist » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:36 pm

Detroit Lions got to the Superbowl this year didn't they? What more can you ask for?

Well, scratch the "Lions" and "to" part.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:49 pm

stomperrob, I would have thought that your thoughts we be toward the Stillers impending SB victory, not bashing a downtrodden organization. :-b

The corrolation between the Ford Motor Co and the Lions is flawed in the worst possible way. FoMoCo is run buy the Fords, with one exception. They had one family member who was too incompetent to have any part in running the business. So they gave him a football team to run.

You may want to show a little more compassion, Karma is funny and your thumbs are still unadorned. ;-D :-t ?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:42 am

moochman wrote:stomperrob, I would have thought that your thoughts we be toward the Stillers impending SB victory, not bashing a downtrodden organization. :-b

The corrolation between the Ford Motor Co and the Lions is flawed in the worst possible way. FoMoCo is run buy the Fords, with one exception. They had one family member who was too incompetent to have any part in running the business. So they gave him a football team to run.

You may want to show a little more compassion, Karma is funny and your thumbs are still unadorned. ;-D :-t ?

Lol, yeh I kinda got sidetracked there! I do have a soft spot for the Lions, but back to Super Bowl preparations and my one true love, the Steelers, who I started rooting for before their first Super Bowl victory (guess that makes me an old fart, eh - oops, used the word "eh", guess that makes me a Canadian, lol). My one regret in all the football games I've been to is that I've never been to a Steelers game - the only consolation was the sheer beauty of watching Barry Sanders run (I still proudly wear his jersey when I'm not wearing my Steeler's jersey).
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:49 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:stomerrob - in me you will find someone who is actually sympathetic to Millen. The team he took over was in much worse shape than most teams going through a rebuilding effort - the vast majority of the starters were out of the NFL within a few yrs and he inherited massive cap problems. Think about it - Millen took over a team with no running game, no QB, no WRs, no secondary, no Lbers, no young players to develop, and no money to go out and bring talent in. It was arguably one of the worst situations of the modern football era.

Now, Im not sure why the Fords chose Millen - Im certainly not going to defend his lack of experience. But at the same time, he has made a number of strong personel moves that has made this team full of young, talented players. Now, his hiring of Mooch was terrible - but at the time no one realized Mooch couldnt develop players or that he didnt have the common sense to tailor his sytem to the talent he had. It took 3 years to realize this massive mistake - but it was just the one mistake (a very very big one). Its not like Millen has done nothing for this team or that he regularly makes bad decisions - he has done a lot of very positive things, but his few mistakes overshadow all the good he has done.

Like I implied above - this team is in a position to leap up the NFL rankings - the players are there - now it just needs someone to lead and teach the players.

You're obviously closer to the situation than I am - I hope you are correct for the sake of the fans who have suffered far too long - I would like nothing better than to see them succeed and put a quality product on the field.
stomperrob

Postby RocketsDWM » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:49 am

As long as Millen is in Detroit, that team is going nowhere.
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:25 am

RocketsDWM wrote:As long as Millen is in Detroit, that team is going nowhere.

why is that?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mutantseabass » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:47 am

Wow im so sick of people jabbing at Detroit, the Lions, the City, the fans.(not a jab at you stomper)

First off Ford motor company was the only of the big 3 that made money last year. The plant they closed in Wixom Michigan has been rumored to be closing for years now.

Ford has attempted to make strides here, like CBM stated he built Ford field out of his pocket, built a state of the art training facility and brought the Lions back to the city of Detroit, which in turn boosted the economy of the City. When a game is over there are alot of things to do downtown unlike Pontiac. Ever since Barry left the Fords have been alot more free with the money and signings of both players and coaches. Im not too sure what more you want from an owner.

Fords hiring of Millen was a bit suspect to me at first and i was very critical of him but you have to give the guy some time here. He was green coming in and has made strides to get talent on the roster. That is the GMs job, in turn the coaches job is mold and guide the talent to a professional level. The only thing you can be real critical of with Millen is his coaching choices. Both of which were done rather quickly and without any kind of lengthly process. I for one hold confidence that Marinelli a strict discplinarian is what the Lions need.
Last edited by mutantseabass on Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk