Favre - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Favre

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Homeless » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:47 pm

snowball wrote:One more thing, this is a great site with many very knowledgable sports fans. I know im new, but I had to get into the mix. Im a giant sports fan and Im excited to contribute my knowledge, or lack there of :-)

Welcome aboard Snowball ;-D
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:30 pm

maddog60 wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:I don't know how you can say this as I haven't found a single personnel example that would suggest their being worse than last year.

Perhaps there's news more readily available in Green Bay, and if so it'd be nice to hear it, since I hate to see Favre go out on such a sour note, but here's where I see a huge problem. The list of current Unrestricted GB free agents:

Grady Jackson
Aaron Kampman
Ahman Green
Najeh Davenport
Tony Fisher
William Henderson
Mike Flanagan
Ryan Longwell

Earl Little
Grey Ruegamer
Paris Lenon
Kevin Barry
Rob Davis
Craig Nall

The last half dozen wouldn't worry me, but losing your top 3 RBs, your 4th RB, and your starting fullback. Losing your place kicker, your nearly irreplaceable mammoth DT, your younger underrated pass rusher, your starting center, that's just a lot. Sure, not all those guys will probably leave, some will be resigned, but this is a huge laundry list of needs to have going into FA, especially for a team that still had major needs to begin with.

This would leave them entering the offseason with

- only Noah Herron, Samkon Gado, and Vonta Leach in the backfield.
- Adrian Klemm and two 7th round nobodies at OG (is Whitticker or Wells starting material?)
- Only two OTs on the entire roster
- Chris White(undrafted, rookie I think) at Center
- No one much to speak of at DT
- starting spots empty at DE and OLB
- No kicker, and no long snapper (I imagine Rodgers can fill Nall's spot as holder)

I hope I'm wrong, because I don't want Favre to retire like this, but it just doesnt look good to me.

thats quite a depressing list for packers fans.... :-o
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Teck » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:27 pm

I cry myself to sleep every night because of that list
Thanks Wicked for the sig!
Teck
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby VaderFin » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:18 am

Some relationship the new coach has with Favre. He hasn't even spoken to him yet.

From ESPN:

General manager Ted Thompson and new coach Mike McCarthy are taking a low pressure approach as they await Favre's decision, the Wisconsin State Journal reports.
McCarthy said Monday he hasn't spoken to Favre since his Jan. 12 hiring. While he didn't rule out a visit to Favre's Mississippi home if McCarthy goes to Mobile, Ala., for the Senior Bowl later this week, the two have not yet made plans to meet.

"Am I going to meet with Brett this week? I have no scheduled meeting with Brett," said McCarthy, who was Favre's quarterbacks coach in 1999. "We'll see what happens. My focus right now has been on establishing the coaching staff."

Thompson said he has spoken to Favre "a couple of times, just to see how everything is going" but has not pressed him for a decision, or even a timetable for that decision.

Favre has a $10 million salary cap number for 2006, and his retirement would accelerate $2.4 million of unamortized signing bonus into the cap. But his departure would create a net gain of $7.6 million in cap room because his $7 million base salary and $3 million roster bonus would be wiped off the books.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:00 pm

skibrett15 wrote: The running game will hold up with Ahman and davenport or without them. Gado can be our starter.

To be honest I don't feel like this is biased opinion, it seems like Favre is poised for a good if not spectacular year.

Even after the season, Gado-mania is running wild on you. Take a longer post season breath, clear your vision and reconsider this. Do you REALLY feel secure with the Nigerian Nightcrawler as your starting tailback next year? I wouldn't. I also wouldn't be wishing for Favre to return. The quicker you start to rebuild, the quicker you can turn around this train wreck. I am a huge fan of Brett's, even growing up a Bear fan, but I do think it might be best if he fades off into the sunset before things get any worse. Right now, people will remember him as one of the greatest, and will likely forget his last bad season or two. You have too many of those though, and that is all that people will remember.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:50 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:
skibrett15 wrote: The running game will hold up with Ahman and davenport or without them. Gado can be our starter.

To be honest I don't feel like this is biased opinion, it seems like Favre is poised for a good if not spectacular year.

Even after the season, Gado-mania is running wild on you. Take a longer post season breath, clear your vision and reconsider this. Do you REALLY feel secure with the Nigerian Nightcrawler as your starting tailback next year? I wouldn't. I also wouldn't be wishing for Favre to return. The quicker you start to rebuild, the quicker you can turn around this train wreck. I am a huge fan of Brett's, even growing up a Bear fan, but I do think it might be best if he fades off into the sunset before things get any worse. Right now, people will remember him as one of the greatest, and will likely forget his last bad season or two. You have too many of those though, and that is all that people will remember.

"Hang on as long as you can" - Niner fan preseason 2004

You know how many games the Pack lost by 3 points or less las season? Five games. 1-5 record in extremely close 3 point games. 2-8 in games decided by a TD or less. Obviously it was not their year and the end results are a top5 draft pick, but why is Brett Favre taking the majority of the blame? His INTs may have played a major role this season, but how many times was the team down by a TD or two, and he gets an INT on the final drive or two trying to make the game winnable? If you think about it, GB was essentially 4 or 5 big plays away from a winning record. Would Peyton Manning see similar criticism if his team lost Marvin Harrison, Brandon Stokely, Edgerrin James, Dominic Rhodes, James Mungro, Dallas Clark, and other players for the majority of the season?

---

The point is, that things can turn around mighty quick for a team that is only losing by 3 game in and game out. Perhaps the return of Javon Walker will result in a few more big plays. Maybe having the same RB from more than a 3 game stretch at any time will provide some consistency. Maybe having back his #1 3rd down target Bubba Franks will prevent Favre from making some "game-saving" 4th Quarter drives. One bad year and the bandwagon is gonna force Brett Favre to retire? Four consecutive seasons with 10+ wins, and now one season where they had a lot of bad breaks and a lot of close losses and it's over, pack it in? I'm not even a GB fan, but I'm not ready to declare them a rebuilding cause just yet. They may be drafting top5 in April, but I think they are still one of the better teams in the NFL with Brett Favre as QB.
---

I think a lot of the criticism directed at Brett Favre is over the playoff losses in recent years. I mean the 4-12 season is pretty bad, but there was a lot of retirement talk before this past season. Peopel seem to forget that GB had 10+ wins in 4 consecutive seasons leading up to the breakdown? Funny how the biggest knock against Farve is hss a tendency to make critical turnovers in big games... Yet, notice how Peyton Manning has a similar record in the playoffs in recent years and he is generally regarded as the best QB in the NFL.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I just hate it when teams rebuild. Let it happen naturally, not by forcing the best QB in franchise history to retire just because he had a bad season. When he goes he goes.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby tomkatt » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:41 pm

skibrett15 wrote:
maddog60 wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:He's gonna be back. That's why they hired McCarthy as HC. I'd expect him to revert to typical favre with 25+ TDs, 18+ INT and 3500 yards.

Why should he revert? The Pack is looking like it's going to get even worse unless they can create some serious cap space.

I don't know how you can say this as I haven't found a single personnel example that would suggest their being worse than last year.

Walker will be back, Murphy will be back, Ferguson will be healthy, Driver will still be there. Bubba Franks should be healthy again. Flanagan could come back, they still have two great tackles, they have a ton of room in cap space, their defense is improving. They could sign steve hutchinson to fill in at a much needed guard spot, but even if it isn't him they'll draft someone and be better on the O-line. They are making changes, yes, but I don't think any of the changes could cause them to implode like they did last year. The running game will hold up with Ahman and davenport or without them. Gado can be our starter.

Has there been a confirmation on Murphy's status? Last I heard there was a chance he could be done.
"Sometime during the Pats game last week, I decided that Tomlinson was the best overall running back of my lifetime. There's nothing he can't do: deadly receiver, tough inside runner, explosive to the outside, you name it." - ESPN's Bill Simmons
tomkatt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby skibrett15 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:45 pm

While addressing the media for the first time since a spinal injury ended his season, rookie wide receiver Terrence Murphy said he definitely will return to action next season.

that was from his official site (how does someone like him have a website?)

yeah he'll be back. That was an ugly injury especially for someone so young.
Last edited by skibrett15 on Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby MadScott » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:44 pm

Last I heard on Murphy was that he was recovering fine and that he will be ready to go next season.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dadd » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:51 pm

It sounds like the Pack have the potential to be a sound football team next year. The shopping list that maddog has for the pack isn't any different than almost all NFL teams in the off-season.

Even if GB is rebuilding, where does it say that they have to kick Favre? Why can't they work in Rodgers? I think two years of tutorage by Favre is better that two years of the new guys screwing things up.
Dadd
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk