DaVinci Code - by: Dan Brown - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

DaVinci Code - by: Dan Brown

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby footballchick23 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:01 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote: (sadly, most of my novels are purchased this way. when the hell is da vinci out on paperback?)

I heard that they're finally going to release it in paperback...way to go and make even more money Dan Brown and his publishing company! :-t
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:05 pm

moonhead wrote:probably how religion started anyway...and who else are they going to get to bomb abortion clinics?

You ARE trying to get this thread locked, aren't you? :-D

"Religion" - at least the way you tend to talk about it, is not necessarily a healthy, beneficial thing. It CAN be, but often (at least in today's world) it's not. That's what the non-religious or non-Christian folks rip religion. Unfortunately, that steps on the toes of decent Christians like me because in their argument, non-religious folks tend to lump every facet of the Christain faith together and call us bad or unhealthy or whatever the flavor of allegation is today.

The reason I rise to the bait all the time is that I believe strongly in my faith. It's something that I've researched and questioned and doubted and denied and fought against and ultimately come to regard as fact. It's real to me. I take it very personally when someone rips on my faith and on my Savior. He didn't do anything to them, and I resent their allegations against Him.

An analogy - some guys are talking about some hot woman who happens to be your mom. They talk openly about wanting to get her and what they'd do if they had her. They make it seem as if she's not inaccessible - she's human, she must want it, right? It gets graphic. It gets specific.

Now, they're just messing around, they don't mean any harm and they know that most of the stuff they're saying about her isn't true and it's not meant to be because they're just playing, but for crying out loud, it's your mom!

Wouldn't you say something?

I would. Every time.

That's why I defend my religion. I know the people in the Cafe aren't persecuting me, but at the same time some of the comments made - even the ones people think are benign or just kidding around - are not appropriate.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:10 pm

knapplc wrote:You ARE trying to get this thread locked, aren't you? :-D

I edited my comments to make it less offensive to respectable religions. you just caught it a few moments before i had done it.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:10 pm

i thought it was a very good FICTIONAL STORY.

I was not really offended by the book, being a christian, because i knew it was just a story.

Defintely a good book but nothing to get worked up over.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:12 pm

knapplc wrote:
moonhead wrote:probably how religion started anyway...and who else are they going to get to bomb abortion clinics?

"Religion" - at least the way you tend to talk about it, is not necessarily a healthy, beneficial thing. It CAN be, but often (at least in today's world) it's not. That's what the non-religious or non-Christian folks rip religion. Unfortunately, that steps on the toes of decent Christians like me because in their argument, non-religious folks tend to lump every facet of the Christain faith together and call us bad or unhealthy or whatever the flavor of allegation is today.

The reason I rise to the bait all the time is that I believe strongly in my faith. It's something that I've researched and questioned and doubted and denied and fought against and ultimately come to regard as fact. It's real to me. I take it very personally when someone rips on my faith and on my Savior. He didn't do anything to them, and I resent their allegations against Him.

An analogy - some guys are talking about some hot woman who happens to be your mom. They talk openly about wanting to get her and what they'd do if they had her. They make it seem as if she's not inaccessible - she's human, she must want it, right? It gets graphic. It gets specific.

Now, they're just messing around, they don't mean any harm and they know that most of the stuff they're saying about her isn't true and it's not meant to be because they're just playing, but for crying out loud, it's your mom!

I would. Every time.

That's why I defend my religion. I know the people in the Cafe aren't persecuting me, but at the same time some of the comments made - even the ones people think are benign or just kidding around - are not appropriate.

GREAT POST!!!! ;-D
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:16 pm

knapplc wrote:

I would. Every time.

Can we see a picture of your mom? :-D

I guess I'm not as respectable as moon. I thought he'd be all over that.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby VaderFin » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:18 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:
knapplc wrote:

I would. Every time.

GREAT POST!!!! ;-D

;-D ;-D
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:26 pm

ok, so color me jackass. :-D

and if someone was talking about doing my mom, I probably wouldn't respond with much more than my own rendition of doing their mom or a FU.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:44 pm

moonhead wrote:ok, so color me jackass. :-D

and if someone was talking about doing my mom, I probably wouldn't respond with much more than my own rendition of doing their mom or a FU.

Nah. Like you said, people have different beliefs. It's a strange world - you have to acknowledge people's rights to their thoughts and opinions and the validity therein, but at the same time you have to stay true to your belief too.

I have never once been offended by anything you or anyone else in the Cafe have posted. At the same time I try not to be too hardcore in my responses so as not to offend anyone else.

It's hard for you to state your belief when there are sensitive toes out here, but it's also hard for me to state mine without stepping on someone else's. It's a delicate dance we all have to dance, is it not?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:47 pm

i have 2 left feet. i'm always stepping on toes. i don't mind, unless it's a hot chick. then i feel like a schmuck.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk