DaVinci Code - by: Dan Brown - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

DaVinci Code - by: Dan Brown

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby moonhead » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:51 pm

to steer this back towards the topic...did any of you see the history channel's special on the knights templar? i caught some of it the other night at like 2 am or something. What I saw said that the original wave of the knights were all criminals and sex offenders and stuff. I thought that was pretty interesting. So much for chivalrous knights, eh?
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby josebach » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:03 pm

knapplc wrote:
moonhead wrote:probably how religion started anyway...and who else are they going to get to bomb abortion clinics?

You ARE trying to get this thread locked, aren't you? :-D

"Religion" - at least the way you tend to talk about it, is not necessarily a healthy, beneficial thing. It CAN be, but often (at least in today's world) it's not. That's what the non-religious or non-Christian folks rip religion. Unfortunately, that steps on the toes of decent Christians like me because in their argument, non-religious folks tend to lump every facet of the Christain faith together and call us bad or unhealthy or whatever the flavor of allegation is today.

The reason I rise to the bait all the time is that I believe strongly in my faith. It's something that I've researched and questioned and doubted and denied and fought against and ultimately come to regard as fact. It's real to me. I take it very personally when someone rips on my faith and on my Savior. He didn't do anything to them, and I resent their allegations against Him.

An analogy - some guys are talking about some hot woman who happens to be your mom. They talk openly about wanting to get her and what they'd do if they had her. They make it seem as if she's not inaccessible - she's human, she must want it, right? It gets graphic. It gets specific.

Now, they're just messing around, they don't mean any harm and they know that most of the stuff they're saying about her isn't true and it's not meant to be because they're just playing, but for crying out loud, it's your mom!

Wouldn't you say something?

I would. Every time.

That's why I defend my religion. I know the people in the Cafe aren't persecuting me, but at the same time some of the comments made - even the ones people think are benign or just kidding around - are not appropriate.

Nice post!

Just remember, though. When you argue in favor of your own religion, you are essentially talking badly about somebody else's mom (good analogy ;-D ) whether you mean to or not. I guess this is why religion (and politics for that matter) are such poor subject matter for a mixed forum.

As long as one's beliefs don't hurt or infringe upon the rights of others, to each his own I say. :-)
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:47 pm

moonhead wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:Eh. My opinion is the same as Browns. It's a novel. It's fiction. He says it is. If millions of people are mislead by something they read, which they acquired for 15 bucks at an airport bookstore (sadly, most of my novels are purchased this way. when the hell is da vinci out on paperback?), then they are stupid.

No1's # 1 opinion:

The religous zealots are too uptight about this book. If so many people are frickin' stupid enough to be mislead by a novel, would you really want those people in your religion? :-b

probably how most religions started anyway...(think scientology) and who else are they going to get to bomb abortion clinics?

I think everyone missed the irony... oh well... :-D

Anyways, I also recommend Angels and Demons. It's also a novel with some contraversal factoids/fictoids, but remember: novel. Mixture of fact and fiction, like DVC. What percentage you believe is all on you.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to General Talk