Steven Harper - Canada's New PM - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Steven Harper - Canada's New PM

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:06 pm

moonhead wrote:check this out

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this takes into account the entire military budget for the war, right? If so it's a flawed figure - we'd be spending a portion of that money on the military anyway. I couldn't guess the fraction we would be spending had we not gone to war, and for certain we're paying more because we're in a state of open conflict, but it's still a point worth making.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby josebach » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:46 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:
CHE wrote:You gota be kidding. The Canadian dollar is worth about .86 c to the american dollar highest its been in 13 or somthing years :-b You guys are about 2 trillion dollars in dept, Clinton left a Surplus. How does a presdent get that much into dept in 5 years?????

Actually, the US is over $8 Trillion in debt.

Clinton had a surplus in his last year's budget, but the US has been in debt forever. The regime we have now just dug us a deeper hole.

Wasn't the national debt around 4 trillion when Clinton took office and almost 6 trillion when he left? How come the Democrats don't ever mention this? Probably the same reason why the Republicans never admit to anything either.

Aren't politics wonderful? :-t
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:26 pm

Well anyway, back to a semi-serious Canadian election question...

I just heard from a friend who is big into international politics that some "Shock Jock" ran for a seat in Parliament up there and won. Is that true? How crazy would it be if Stern, Opie and Anthony, or Bubba won a seat in Congress! :-b
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:44 pm

I give this thread two more pages before you guys get it locked and shuffled off to where we keep stuff.

Stuff being all political threads and when a spammer starts flooding the boards with images of naked guys.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flockers » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:16 pm

awwchrist wrote:...when a spammer starts flooding the boards with images of naked guys.

MTR is back then?
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby MadScott » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:30 pm

awwchrist wrote:I give this thread two more pages before you guys get it locked and shuffled off to where we keep stuff.

Stuff being all political threads and when a spammer starts flooding the boards with images of naked guys.
Over/under 9 pages? ;-7 :-b
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CHE » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:31 am

MadScott wrote:
awwchrist wrote:I give this thread two more pages before you guys get it locked and shuffled off to where we keep stuff.

Over/under 9 pages? ;-7 :-b

Over, If we get some Republicans backen Bush in here :-b
If you tremble indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine.- Ernesto Che Guevara
CHE
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Santacruzer » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:51 am

The_Dude wrote:
Santacruzer wrote:... ...reducing the taxes for the wealthy ... ...

And now a word from Ben Stein, circa 1986 (Ferris Bueller's Day Off)

"In 1930, the Republican-controlled House of Representatives, in an effort to alleviate the effects of the... Anyone? Anyone?....The Laffer Curve...This is very controversial. Does anyone know what Vice President Bush called this in 1980? Anyone? Something-d-o-o economics. "Voodoo" economics."

Ahhh yes. The Laffer Curve. Thanks "Dude".

Don't get me started on the "War on Drugs"? ex-CIA chief, former VP of the US, and former President of the US, George Bush Sr. had some very strange bedfellows. He is reported as being the one who "hired" Noriega, ran a "guns-for-drugs" operation with him, and alleged monetary transfers to the Contras from the drug cartels. Using the CIA owned airline, "Southern Air Transport", moved weapons from the Shah (in Iran), through to Noriega (reportedly so that the weapons in South America could not be traced back to the US), and brought the planes back to US soil loaded down with Drugs. That's quite the "War on drugs", alright.

Don't believe me? Look it up.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Goatwhacker » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:37 am

Santacruzer wrote:

Don't get me started on the "War on Drugs"? ex-CIA chief, former VP of the US, and former President of the US, George Bush Sr. had some very strange bedfellows. He is reported as being the one who "hired" Noriega, ran a "guns-for-drugs" operation with him, and alleged monetary transfers to the Contras from the drug cartels. Using the CIA owned airline, "Southern Air Transport", moved weapons from the Shah (in Iran), through to Noriega (reportedly so that the weapons in South America could not be traced back to the US), and brought the planes back to US soil loaded down with Drugs. That's quite the "War on drugs", alright.

I'm not going to defend Bush Sr. on Iran-Contra, but your post is full of "alleged" and "reportedly", which basically means it's a lot of speculation. In any event, I don't see how you're applying it to today's US-Canada situation.

On the Laffer Curve, it is a valid theory but has an inherent weakness - while it postulates an optimal percentage of taxation, it fails to define what that percentage is or how to determine it. It can therefore be used or criticized by both liberals and conservatives depending on their starting biases. It's a useful concept but hard to apply in a practical sense.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Santacruzer » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:28 pm

Goatwhacker wrote:
Santacruzer wrote:

I'm not going to defend Bush Sr. on Iran-Contra, but your post is full of "alleged" and "reportedly", which basically means it's a lot of speculation. In any event, I don't see how you're applying it to today's US-Canada situation.

Was Noriega on the CIA payroll? Yes - FACT

Was in George Bush Sr. that recruited him? Everything points his way, but cannot be declared fully as a fact.

Was the CIA involved in a "Guns-for-Drugs" exchange? Yes - FACT

Was CIA owned airline, "Southern Air Transport" Running Weapons to South America, and returning to the US loaded with drugs? Yes - FACT

Were they running Weapons from the Middle East, and not US manufactured weapons, so they were not traceable back to the US? Again, everything points that way, but there is no hard evidence to call this a fact. Was it happening? absolutely. Why? not absolutely certain.

So you can see that the "reportedly" and "alleged" parts of my comments had little to do with what was going on. As I had said in my original post, "Look it up". You don't have to take my ramblings on this.

And no, this doesn't have anything to do with today's (or even at any time) US-Canadian relations. Someone had brought up the "War on Drugs", and I made a comment on that.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to General Talk