Turbo Tax vs. H&R Block - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Turbo Tax vs. H&R Block

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:59 am

WickedSmaat wrote:
knapplc wrote:It's just you and your wife, right? No kids? No mortgage? At this point I'd say you should both claim one, then check out the adjustments at the end of this year to see where that got you.

You're going to be in a state of flux for the next year or two because of going out into the full-time workforce and any other variables (new baby, home, work write-offs, charitable donations, etc), but you need to watch what you're doing.

Yeah just me and the wife. I think I'm going to have to learn a lot about deducs and what I can write off. Would you think the best way to learn would be through a computer program, or by a book? Or just have someone like H&R do it?

And I would probably like to get the most out of my money even if it takes a little bit of work.

I would think there are tons of free resources out there where you could find information on the Internet. There's some good info at eHow.com. I don't pay for any info I don't have to, but we do have a financial planner who is helping us with our investments and retirement funds. I would suggest that if (like me) you're no expert at investing, taxes and the like.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VaderFin » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:26 pm

My wife and I both claim 0 and always have and always will. I figure I would rather give a little extra each paycheck and then get that back in a big lump sum. I don't miss the couple bucks I lose during the year but I love the check I get every year that we use for vacations or big purchases. Throw in the free money I get for having the 2 munchkins and our "deductions" and tax time is one of my happiest times of the year. :-D
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:31 pm

Oh yeah, I also pay an accountant to do my taxes. A good one. Let's just say we got ALOT more money back when we had someone else do them then when we did our own. If you are good do your own, but if you are kinda clueless I would recommend help.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:35 pm

We get the lump sum back too. It works better, because if the wife see the money in the bank, she spends it. Better to have the gov'mint hold on to it for me than the wife spending it. ;-D

We had H&R Block do our taxes last year. We got back more than usual
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby MadScott » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:36 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:
I dunno. There's too many variables.

I claim Single 2. I owe $106 this year.
Not a good year in poker?
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:37 pm

MadScott wrote:
BrutallyHuge wrote:

I launder my poker winnings.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:07 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:
MadScott wrote:
BrutallyHuge wrote:

Wanna help me on my taxes this year? :-b
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WickedSmaat » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:55 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:
MadScott wrote:
BrutallyHuge wrote:

Only way to do it ;-D but they kind of get wet from the water :-?
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Previous

Return to General Talk