NASA's Stardust - This Is So Cool! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

NASA's Stardust - This Is So Cool!

Moderator: Football Moderators

NASA's Stardust - This Is So Cool!

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:22 am

Forgot to post about this last week. I'm sure you've all read the stories or seen it on the news. I'm just agog at this stuff.

Our solar system is 4.5 beeeeiiiiiiiiillllliiiiiiooooonnnnnn years old. That's, like, WAY older than Lush (to put it in perspective for you younger guys). What those rocket scientists at NASA did was to send this robot out about umpteen billion miles to capture debris from this comet, then brought it back to Earth for study.

There are SO MANY cool things about this project. I could get all technical and talk about the extreme difficulty they had in getting the lander back to Earth unscathed (relatively), the ballistics involved and the incredibly small window they had to negotiate to get that sucker to land where they wanted it to, etc, etc, but what steals the show IMO is Aerogel.

Aerogelis essentially glass, but it's 99.8% air (gallery). They used a tool filled with aerogel to capture the comet particles in as pristine a condition as possible, then sealed it up in a clamshell and brought it back to Earth. This stuff was invented in the 30s by some dude with a need for slightly more solid air (I guess). Go to the link and read up on it. My birthday is coming up this August - you all could chip in and get me some of this ;-) ;-) .

So now they have these particles that are the closest thing we can get to what our solar system looked like just after the accretion phase ended about 4.5 billion years ago or so. This will tell us what exactly was going on then, help us to understand the mechanics of a building solar system and (possibly) give us further information about the origins of life.

What they're hoping to find are "organics" - or, the basic building blocks of life. These would be carbons and acids, or even little green men frozen in a primeval state (OK not that last part). Finding these things would go a long way toward proving the theory that life originated from "the stuff of comets" when the Earth was young and suffered from a near-constant barrage of cometary bodies. The theory goes that these basic building blocks of life were present in these comets which then brought them to Earth where life evolved in our life-friendly environment.

I totally dig this stuff. I should have been a scientist.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Homeless » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:35 am

As Spock would say "Fascinating" ;-D
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:29 pm

There's a lot going on right now in the astronomy world (or non-world, whatever you want to call it) it would seem. Saw an article the other day about a theory dispelling the "dark matter" idea.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby moonhead » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:34 pm

our planet is 4.5 billion years old, the universe is told to be about 14 billion years old. at least that's what we were told in my astronomy class last year.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:35 pm

Neato! ;-D
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby UTLonghorns » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:45 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Neato! ;-D

-30 Street Cred.
UTLonghorns
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb Supporter

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:47 pm

moonhead wrote:our planet is 4.5 billion years old, the universe is told to be about 14 billion years old. at least that's what we were told in my astronomy class last year.

That's about right, according to our best info so far. Those numbers will probably change, but not by much.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: NASA's Stardust - This Is So Cool!

Postby josebach » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:57 pm

knapplc wrote:What they're hoping to find are "organics" - or, the basic building blocks of life. These would be carbons and acids, or even little green men frozen in a primeval state (OK not that last part). Finding these things would go a long way toward proving the theory that life originated from "the stuff of comets" when the Earth was young and suffered from a near-constant barrage of cometary bodies. The theory goes that these basic building blocks of life were present in these comets which then brought them to Earth where life evolved in our life-friendly environment.

I totally dig this stuff. I should have been a scientist.

It is fascinating. I take it from these posts that you believe in intelligent design? Irreducible complexity and things of that nature?
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Dirt Bag » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:57 pm

hey thats pretty cool.
nice find knapp
Dirt Bag
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Flockers » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:14 pm

UTLonghorns wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Neato! ;-D

-30 Street Cred.

Cool beans. ;-D
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Next