NASA's Stardust - This Is So Cool! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

NASA's Stardust - This Is So Cool!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: NASA's Stardust - This Is So Cool!

Postby Homeless » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:54 pm

josebach wrote:
knapplc wrote:What they're hoping to find are "organics" - or, the basic building blocks of life. These would be carbons and acids, or even little green men frozen in a primeval state (OK not that last part). Finding these things would go a long way toward proving the theory that life originated from "the stuff of comets" when the Earth was young and suffered from a near-constant barrage of cometary bodies. The theory goes that these basic building blocks of life were present in these comets which then brought them to Earth where life evolved in our life-friendly environment.

I totally dig this stuff. I should have been a scientist.

It is fascinating. I take it from these posts that you believe in intelligent design? Irreducible complexity and things of that nature?

Oh no, here we go again :-b
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby moonhead » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:05 pm

Homeless wrote:
josebach wrote:
knapplc wrote:What they're hoping to find are "organics" - or, the basic building blocks of life. These would be carbons and acids, or even little green men frozen in a primeval state (OK not that last part). Finding these things would go a long way toward proving the theory that life originated from "the stuff of comets" when the Earth was young and suffered from a near-constant barrage of cometary bodies. The theory goes that these basic building blocks of life were present in these comets which then brought them to Earth where life evolved in our life-friendly environment.

It is fascinating. I take it from these posts that you believe in intelligent design? Irreducible complexity and things of that nature?

exactly what i was thinking.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby josebach » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:31 pm

moonhead wrote:
Homeless wrote:
josebach wrote:

I don't think you guys understand my question. I asked only because I don't believe science and God are mutually exclusive and it sounds like Knapplc doesn't either. When he responds to this you'll see he won't be offended by me asking. I wasn't challenging him at all. Quite the contrary. It seems he and I might actually have more in common than I thought. Believe it or not, I actually agree with a large majority of his posts. :-)
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:55 pm

UTLonghorns wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Neato! ;-D

-30 Street Cred.

Science + Cool = Neato

C'mon, I don't really say words like "neato" and "swell". :*)
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:49 pm

josebach wrote:
moonhead wrote:
Homeless wrote:
josebach wrote:

I don't think you guys understand my question. I asked only because I don't believe science and God are mutually exclusive and it sounds like Knapplc doesn't either. When he responds to this you'll see he won't be offended by me asking. I wasn't challenging him at all. Quite the contrary. It seems he and I might actually have more in common than I thought. Believe it or not, I actually agree with a large majority of his posts. :-)

As should we all. Take a lesson, Moon and Homey. ;-)

Jose, I don't quite know what to believe. When I die I FULLY expect there to be a question-and-answer session. I have a lot of questions. I'm just not positive on who will be giving me those answers.

As for ID - Life is complex. Fiendishly complex. Amazingly complex. It is POSSIBLE that this complexity sprang forth from simple compounds and random chance. But after studying the extent of the complexity of even "simple" life forms, I find it less than compelling that it "just happened."

I'd be very, very happy if a Creator would come to my kitchen and have a chat. I'd serve some really good coffee and make Him very comfortable - as I said before, I have a lot of questions. If I ever get that chance, the first thing I'll do is post here so you guys know about it.

All I'm left with right now is faith. I think through other posts everyone is pretty clear on who I have put my faith in, and I feel that I've done that for very good reasons - but again, I have no proof to offer you. Only faith.

So in the meantime I entertain myself with stories of the latest finds from the world of science, read my bible and do my best to make sense of it all.

That's about all any of us can do.

PS - I was serious about you all chipping in and getting me some aerogel for my birthday....
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:51 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
UTLonghorns wrote:

-30 Street Cred.

Science + Cool = Neato

I say "groovy" quite often.

How many cool points does that gig me? :-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mikus » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:30 am

i'm sort of an astronomy buff too ... took a couple classes and labs here at LSU in my career ... this stuff it great, i love the way we have been able to progress through technology ... i saw an article today on CNN about the new technology they have used to find an Earth-like planet 2000 light years away ... so far, they have found over 160 other planets ... i love the possibilities :-?
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby UTLonghorns » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:00 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
UTLonghorns wrote:

-30 Street Cred.

Science + Cool = Neato

I know, forgot the ;-7 on my last post.
UTLonghorns
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb Supporter

Postby UTLonghorns » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:00 am

knapplc wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
UTLonghorns wrote:

-30 Street Cred.

Science + Cool = Neato

I say "groovy" quite often.

How many cool points does that gig me? :-D

That a good 50 fifty. Your in a hell of debt now ;-D
UTLonghorns
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to General Talk