Calling Computer Folk. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Calling Computer Folk.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Calling Computer Folk.

Postby CC » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:18 pm

Over the last 2 to 3 years I have acquired quite an extensive (731 songs) library on my computer. In September I will be headed off the university and I am already paranoid about losing this library. It took me forever to find some of these songs and I hate the concept of trying to rebuild this from scratch.

Is there any way to transfer all these songs over to a new computer (save taking the hard drive or saving them on 50 discs)?
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flockers » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:28 pm

Depending on the total amount of KB, you could get a 2 GB flash drive for $75-100 and that should hold them all. I use mine to save a ton of audio along with school files.
Last edited by Flockers on Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Dirt Bag » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:29 pm

only thing i can think of off the top of my head is to buy an external hard drive and then you can put them onto there, transfer from hard drive to new comp, then try and sell the external hard drive or use it, i have an external and its quite useful cause you can bring it places and get other peoples music and things, not sure how much they cost i got mine awhile ago.
Dirt Bag
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:33 pm

For some reason the idea of going to a computer store and asking an employee how to do this and what I would need never occured to me.

I'm an idiot.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flockers » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:39 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I'm an idiot.

No, you're Canadian. :-b

Just kidding CC. :-)
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby josebach » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:41 pm

731 songs is probably around 3 1/2 gigs. You could put this on 1 DVD or about 6 CDs. Burning 6 CDs is going to be a whole lot easier than just about anything else you could try.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:44 pm

Yeah, those USB plug-in hard drives are pretty cool man...if you have the cash that might be a good option.

If you have a DVD-RW that can burn mp3 files in data form you can get a buttload of songs on one CD. That would be a cheaper option.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Nilmerf » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:50 pm

If/when you have the money.. you should invest in a laptop, dude. I just bought one for my second year of university and I couldn't be happier. I can use it for writing notes 10x faster in class.. or hook it up to my speakers and subwoofer at home and play music. I have 1000+ songs, most of them bought as CD's and ripped onto my computer. Windows XP organizes them really nicely.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Flockers » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:51 pm

A flash drive would be handy thoughafter he transfers so he can save school files and papers on it too.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby SniperShot » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:53 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:For some reason the idea of going to a computer store and asking an employee how to do this and what I would need never occured to me.

I'm an idiot.
It's because you know we are all so smart and could help you out 100x better than an employee who will take you straight to the most expensive item in the store in efforts to sell it to you!

No I'm just kidding Comp USA and Bestbuy employees are generally very good.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Next

Return to General Talk