The Forbidden Library - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

The Forbidden Library

Moderator: Football Moderators

The Forbidden Library

Postby Flockers » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:53 pm

http://title.forbiddenlibrary.com/

It lists all the books that have ever been banned. Some of the reasons are rather entertaining (see "Where's Waldo").
Last edited by Flockers on Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:58 pm

Shel Silverstein should never be banned! Yeah, I always think of Satan and cannibalism when I think of Shel Silverstein. :-? :-° Overzealous conservatives.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:03 pm

I had to go there for a school project not long ago how funny it comes up here. This site was really cool. Had to get this info from the site about Tom Sawyer:
Twain, Mark [Samuel L. Clemens]. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Airmont; And/Or Press; Bantam; Grosset; Longman; NAL; Pocket Bks. Excluded from the childrens' room in the Brooklyn, N.Y. Public Library (1876) and the Denver, Colo. Public Library (1876). Confiscated at the USSR border (1930). Removed from the seventh grade curriculum in the West Chester, Pa. schools (1994) after parents complained that it is too full of racially charged language. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a more popular target of censorship, but personally I find this one more entertaining.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:32 pm

I'll refrain from a long diatribe on this subject by simply stating that these books were banned by people who are products of woefully, pitifully inadequate education systems, and whether they were caused by the political climate in their respective nations or simple ignorance, these actions are signs that we as a species have a long, long way to go before we truly live up to our self-proclaimed title of homo-sapiens.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby WickedSmaat » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:48 pm

I remember they banned Goosebumps when I was in elementary. I loved those books ;-D
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby Canacuna » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:53 pm

WickedSmaat wrote:I remember they banned Goosebumps when I was in elementary. I loved those books ;-D

They did the same thing when I was in elementary school! The only books the kids actually wanted to read were banned... poo on that, yo. R.L. Stein r0x0rz s0x0rz and stuff.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:59 pm

Canacuna wrote:
WickedSmaat wrote:I remember they banned Goosebumps when I was in elementary. I loved those books ;-D

They did the same thing when I was in elementary school! The only books the kids actually wanted to read were banned... poo on that, yo. R.L. Stein r0x0rz s0x0rz and stuff.

Only because it'll be so funny - WHY did the nitwits in your school districts ban these books?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:04 am

Canacuna wrote:

I must've had like 30 of those books, I'm sure they are still around somewhere. Every single one was supposed to be scary and ended up having some super stupid twist at the end that trivialized the whole story.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:18 am

James and the Giant Peach? Are you kidding me?

I swear some parents just have a need to complain.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby UTLonghorns » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:09 am

Where's Waldo? Martin Handford. Little. Challenged at the Public Libraries of Saginaw, Mich. (1989), Removed from the Springs Public School library in East Hampton, N.Y. (1993) because there is a tiny drawing of a woman lying on the beach wearing a bikini bottom but no top. Yes, but did they find Waldo?

I think its funny how next to all these banned books it says.."Purchase"
UTLonghorns
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb Supporter

Next

Return to General Talk