TV Commentator Awards - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

TV Commentator Awards

Moderator: Football Moderators

TV Commentator Awards

Postby The Lung » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:03 pm

From Dr. Z at SI.com

The article can be viewed by clicking the above link. It's pretty long though, so here are just the rankings:

Five Stars
NONE

Four Stars
Ron Pitts & Tim Ryan, FOX
Kenny Albert & Brian Baldinger, FOX
Kevin Harlan & Randy Cross, CBS
Ian Eagle & Solomon Wilcots, CBS
Al Michaels & John Madden, ABC (important game)

3 1/2 Stars
Brent Jones, CBS, & Erik Kramer, FOX

Three Stars
Dick Stockton & Daryl Johnston, FOX
Dick Enberg & Dan Dierdorf, CBS

2 1/2 Stars
Joe Buck & Troy Aikman, FOX
Sam Rosen & Bill Maas, FOX

Two Stars
Jim Nantz & Phil Simms, CBS
Don Criqui & Steve Beuerlein, CBS
Bill Macatee & Rich Gannon, CBS
Gus Johnson & Steve Tasker, CBS

1 1/2 Stars
Curt Menefee & JC Pearson, FOX

One Star
Mike Tirico & Sterling Sharpe, ESPN

ZERO Stars
Mike Patrick, Joe Theismann, Paul Maguire, ESPN
Al Michaels & John Madden, ABC (bad game)

Not Rated
Thom Brennaman & Tim Green, FOX
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Alkaholik » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:37 pm

I would put Michael Irvin at -2 stars on that list, even though he is more of a NFL analysis
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:37 pm

That's actually not a bad list...I like how no one qualifies for 5 stars. :-b

Harlan and Cross are good. I like Harlan's voice and inflection when important things happen, and Cross does well pointing out line stuff since that's where he played (showing favoritism to old 49ers also :-D).

Is it just me or do Eagle and Wilcots always get the Browns games? ;-) Seriously, I see them covering Cleveland all the time. :-?
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:47 pm

Watching Lions games, all we get is Thom Brennaman & Tim Green :~(
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby Homeless » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:58 pm

Madden should have got 5 stars !!!
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby awwchrist » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:37 pm

Curt Menefee and JC Pearson are solid. That's who Seattle gets a lot. They're sharp. They don't babble on like some other crews. And I've never ever thought "what the hell are these guys talking about?"

Another blown Coverage by Dr. Z
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:41 pm

the commentator doesnt really make or break the game for me. I dont really care what they say im there to watch the game. They are always good for a few laughs though....
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mysticphysh » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:48 pm

Jim Nantz & Phil Simms, CBS

Should be down there hovering around a zero just because of Simms. He's an idiot who doesn't seem to know what he's talking about. He goes out on a limb (in terms of playcalling, referring, keys to the game, etc) and most often...that limb breaks....well at least he's not afraid to climb back up into the tree to fall again.

Some...er....lowlights of the pitt/denver game

He repeatedly said "only his elbow was down." on the Willie Parker fumble during the review...when everyone and their grandmother knows that a runner is down if anything besides their feet or hands touch the ground.

"They might be planning to draw the Steelers offsides." After Denver ran a play and converted, Simms immediately said, "I had no doubt the Broncos were going for it."

When the Steeler player appeared to have keep the ball out of the endzone, he repeatedly said the ball would be placed at the 3 where it was down (again during the review)...all the while, apparently not looking at what all America was looking at...The still of the player's toe down, while the ball was still in his hands.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Homeless » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:11 pm

mysticphysh wrote:Jim Nantz & Phil Simms, CBS

Should be down there hovering around a zero just because of Simms. He's an idiot who doesn't seem to know what he's talking about. He goes out on a limb (in terms of playcalling, referring, keys to the game, etc) and most often...that limb breaks....well at least he's not afraid to climb back up into the tree to fall again.

Some...er....lowlights of the pitt/denver game

He repeatedly said "only his elbow was down." on the Willie Parker fumble during the review...when everyone and their grandmother knows that a runner is down if anything besides their feet or hands touch the ground.

"They might be planning to draw the Steelers offsides." After Denver ran a play and converted, Simms immediately said, "I had no doubt the Broncos were going for it."

When the Steeler player appeared to have keep the ball out of the endzone, he repeatedly said the ball would be placed at the 3 where it was down (again during the review)...all the while, apparently not looking at what all America was looking at...The still of the player's toe down, while the ball was still in his hands.

Im glad you brought that up!

At the end of that game as the camera focused on Bettis mouthing to his parents: "were going home"
Simms said in a curious voice, he is saying something about going home. He had no idea that Bettis was from Detroit and was referring to going home to SB 40

Just amazing a commentator can have that kind of job and not know basic things about the rules and or the players in a given game. Im not saying they should know everything, but come on, it’s your job, swat up before each game you commentate for.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:30 pm

I hate, yeah that's right HATE dr Z his opinions are crap. I can't believe that guy is still getting paid. Therefore, I know this list to be sham and will give no more attention.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk