Texas A & M challenging Seattle's use of 12th man - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Texas A & M challenging Seattle's use of 12th man

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Homeless » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:36 pm

The link isnt working, but the phrase the 12th man has been used in soccer for a century! How long the Aggies been claiming it as theirs?
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:52 pm

Homeless wrote:The link isnt working, but the phrase the 12th man has been used in soccer for a century! How long the Aggies been claiming it as theirs?

Since the 20s according to the article. The more teaks I hear about that have been using the phrase (now including soccer) just makes the claim more ridiculous.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:08 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:
Homeless wrote:The link isnt working, but the phrase the 12th man has been used in soccer for a century! How long the Aggies been claiming it as theirs?

Since the 20s according to the article. The more teaks I hear about that have been using the phrase (now including soccer) just makes the claim more ridiculous.

They can probably claim it as the American version. Maybe change the spelling a little :-b
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:09 pm

this is stupid.

I think pat riley copyrighted the term "three peat"

I don't think you should be able to do this unless it is a brand name, business or something to that effect"

Can the NBA coin the term "sixth man" and retain sole rights.

I can't stand intelelctual property anymore. This company named "Victor's Secret" was threatened by the lingerie company.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Gnu314 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:13 pm

I don't think the 12th man that A&M claims to have rights over is famous enough to have developed secondary meaning as required by the Lanham Act, even if it does I think that there might be a statute of limitations issue.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:43 pm

Just a few days ago I saw on the news the 2010 Olympic Committee was trying to make a company change their name from Olympic, saying it was a registered trademark of the IOC or something like that. Pretty stupid if you ask me.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby merc » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:37 pm

Due to the efforts and bribery from Hollywood, IP law has become some of the most restrictive and far reaching law that we have today here in America. If Hollywood can come into the privacy of our homes in order to control our private use of a legally purchased product, why shouldn't others do the same in the public domain? IP and copyright law today seems to override even our rights as determined by our constitution.
Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig

[i]2006 Cafe TSN Ultimate Salary Cap Playoff Champion[/i]
merc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Gnu314 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:55 pm

No they don't override our rights under the constitution although there are certain provisions under the digital millenium act and protection to original musical performance that are of questional constitutionality, and this isn't a copyright case either its a trademark case litigated under the Lanham Act passed in 1946 to protect registered trademarks, marks that have developed secondary meaning, and famous marks.

Also when you purchase copyrighted material you have full right to dispose of that work as you see fit, assuming that you don't copy it or display it publicly.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Azrael » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:02 pm

Quick, someone patent the "Let's go (team name)" chant.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby SniperShot » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:59 pm

Umm Seattle has had this 12th man stuff going on for 21 years and now A&M is going to have a problem with it? What about 21 years ago eh?
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk