Sean Taylor ... behind bars? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Sean Taylor ... behind bars?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:49 pm

34=Sweetness wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:
Lushcrush wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I heard Florida has a zero tolerance law concerning gun play.

Bingo.

10 years minimum for pulling a gun, 20 years minimum for pointing it at someone, lifetime minimum for discharging it.

If you seriously think Sean Taylor is going to go away for 30 years, you need to get your head examined. You'd think we'd all know the normal scope of the law doesn't apply to celebrities by now.

Right now, I'm sure Lil Kim is wishing that were the case. She's spending over year in prison for perjury. Sure, most celebs don't see jail time, but there are exceptions to the rule.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:47 pm

One case. Versus all the other examples. I'll stand by the notion that Taylor does a few months at best.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby terpfan » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:58 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:I think thats a bit ridiculous.

He's a thug that assaulted people with a gun. I hope he gets time.

Spitting in Pittman's face certainly didn't help my view of him.

Just so everyone is aware. By "assault" what is meant is that he threatened someone with a gun (who had just stolen from him). He didnt attack anyone. I only say that because I wasnt aware myself that threats/ waving a gun was considered assault.

Anyway, spitting in Pittman's direction, it never actually hit him, I certainly dont admire, but I allready knew he was emotional and immature so eh...He really has been much more open and accepting with the fans and the media this year.

I still want to be able to like him and I hope hes here next year. Sue me if Im being homerish. :-b
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:03 pm

terpfan wrote:
BrutallyHuge wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:I think thats a bit ridiculous.

He's a thug that assaulted people with a gun. I hope he gets time.

Spitting in Pittman's face certainly didn't help my view of him.

Just so everyone is aware. By "assault" what is meant is that he threatened someone with a gun (who had just stolen from him). He didnt attack anyone. I only say that because I wasnt aware myself that threats/ waving a gun was considered assault.

Anyway, spitting in Pittman's direction, it never actually hit him, I certainly dont admire, but I allready knew he was emotional and immature so eh...He really has been much more open and accepting with the fans and the media this year.

I still want to be able to like him and I hope hes here next year. Sue me if Im being homerish. :-b

True Terp. If by armed assualt they mean he flashed a gun at them, possibly because they were threatening?, then a lighter sentencing would be in order. And like with the Clarett case, flashing a gun at people is not a big deal in some areas of society. Not that it's right, just not an uncommon occurance. Taylor may not be as big a dolt as he appears. Just more of an immature thug than a hardened criminal perhaps.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Uh, why is the fact that the "assault" was pointing a gun at them a more minor crime in your minds?

I don't care which one is more "wrong", with the ways the laws work in Florida pulling a gun on someone is literally about 24 times worse than beating someone up without a gun being involved.

It may not be a big deal "in some areas of society", but it certainly is down here in Florida with the zero tolerance gun policy. I mean seriously, it's all over billboards and television ads down here, we have to hear about it every single day.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:10 pm

Floridians are all criminals.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:16 am

Free Bagel wrote:Uh, why is the fact that the "assault" was pointing a gun at them a more minor crime in your minds?

I don't care which one is more "wrong", with the ways the laws work in Florida pulling a gun on someone is literally about 24 times worse than beating someone up without a gun being involved.

It may not be a big deal "in some areas of society", but it certainly is down here in Florida with the zero tolerance gun policy. I mean seriously, it's all over billboards and television ads down here, we have to hear about it every single day.

Because threatening to do something and actually doing it are too different things in the eyes of most people. Im sure he wasnt talking about right or wrong in terms of the law, but in terms of morality. You really considering threatening someone to be as serious as actually hurting them?

Of course he shouldnt have done it. It was stupid, he knows the law (I hope). But hes a dumb kid who probably grew up around this sort of thing. He had to get his stuff back and he overreacted. Lets also keep in mind here that the people on the other side of this case are probably way worse than Sean (not only did they steal his ATVs, but they actually FIRED bullets into his SUV). Its not like he was waving a gun at some random people at a McDonalds (cough Marcus vick cough)

Besides, Im sure your UF bias is almost as bad as my Skins bias. ;-)
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk