44%
LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson (VIR)
25%
Other
4%

Total votes : 71

Postby Crimedogg32 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:28 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
Crimedogg32 wrote:I also wouldnt throw out building a team around Hawk as it seems most of the good teams in the NFL have star LBs especially MLB

Hows that working out for the Ravens, Jets, and Packers?

I would say they were all pretty good for a long time and the Ravens even won a superbowl ;-D
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:36 pm

You have me on the Ravens, but the Jets have been crap with Vilma and the Packers haven't been that great with Barnett either.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flockers » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:38 pm

Given the opportunity, I'd trade down to the 4th pick or so, get more picks, and still get Ferguson. I'd still take him if I had to take him #1.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:50 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:You have me on the Ravens, but the Jets have been crap with Vilma and the Packers haven't been that great with Barnett either.

both of which are extremely young. Give them time...

especially if Green Bay drafts Hawk. Burnett and Hawk, same corps? Scary.

a lot of people say they'll go DE, but I'd bet not... They already have one dominator in (SDSU-alum :-D ) KGB, they just need a fill-in (like Kampman) at the other end. LB is where the bread and butter of a defense is.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Crimedogg32 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:06 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:You have me on the Ravens, but the Jets have been crap with Vilma and the Packers haven't been that great with Barnett either.

Vilma and Barnett werent #1 overall quality either. I dont think Hawk is but if you want to build around defense I see nobody better in the draft considering his talent and position
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:01 am

I'll take Ferguson every day of the week - its not really close either.

Seriously - building a team from the QB? As a Lions fan, I have to say thats a rather silly argument. Most of the top QBs in this league havent had the cupboards bare when they arrived, in fact, the young QBs who were put in those type of situations almost always fail.

Bush is an interesting pick, and he would probably sell more tickets than D'Brick, but I'll build a team from the lines out. On top of that, the RB market is so saturated right now, I could easily just find a cheaper option whereas, the top LT on the market this yr is Jeff Backus. The depth and availability of RBs compared to LTs in this league is a main reason I build around Ferguson.

Finally - those of you trying to drop Ferguson because of some perceived weight issue or lack of a runblocking ability are just nitpicking. Read the scouting reports on this kid: he has the professionals simply drooling over his current ability and upside - I havent read a report yet that didnt consider him a virtual lock as a future probowler. This past week his stock has to have only risen - he was largly considered the most dominating player on the field - both offense and defense. Sure he gave up a few sacks during the practices and one on Saturday, but it certainly doesnt mean his stock will drop because of it. To say you can get a similar talent in the 2nd teir of Ts in this class is just off - sure one of them could emerge, but at this point it they simply arent in the same class as D'Brick.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby moochman » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:03 pm

Though we differ on who we would take, CBM, I cannot agree more that D'Brick is as close to a lock to be great tackle. Run blocking is much easier to learn, and funner, than pass blocking. So when you find a LT who is a stud pass blocker, you have a gem. I just don't know that people would line up to buy season ticket packages to watch him block for the Mike McMahans of the NFL.

VY has potential to be an electrifying difference maker at a position of scarcity, that people might line up to see. Barring an awful combine I would have a very hard time passing him up.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby CHE » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:13 pm

moochman wrote:Though we differ on who we would take, CBM, I cannot agree more that D'Brick is as close to a lock to be great tackle. Run blocking is much easier to learn, and funner, than pass blocking. So when you find a LT who is a stud pass blocker, you have a gem. I just don't know that people would line up to buy season ticket packages to watch him block for the Mike McMahans of the NFL.

VY has potential to be an electrifying difference maker at a position of scarcity, that people might line up to see. Barring an awful combine I would have a very hard time passing him up.

They already have a QB who was drafted number 1 overall :-o

They need to trade the pick or draft bush and trade him.

The texans dont need Offence, they need O-Line and D.
If you tremble indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine.- Ernesto Che Guevara
CHE
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby onnestabe » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:52 pm

CHE wrote:
moochman wrote:Though we differ on who we would take, CBM, I cannot agree more that D'Brick is as close to a lock to be great tackle. Run blocking is much easier to learn, and funner, than pass blocking. So when you find a LT who is a stud pass blocker, you have a gem. I just don't know that people would line up to buy season ticket packages to watch him block for the Mike McMahans of the NFL.

They already have a QB who was drafted number 1 overall :-o

They need to trade the pick or draft bush and trade him.

The texans dont need Offence, they need O-Line and D.

I think the theme of this thread is what would you do if you were GM of an expansion team, not the Texans' GM.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Football Talk