And we thought Desmond Clark was a joke... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

And we thought Desmond Clark was a joke...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby stomperrob » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:51 am

Teams are getting very specialized now - long snappers are hard to find. And look at how some teams are now starting to carry 2 kickers, 1 for FG's and 1 for kickoffs.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby merc » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:11 am

When you consider what long snappers do - throw a bullet pass between their legs to a 1 foot target located 7 yards away.... and then be quick enough to block the 280lb guy charging into you... and then releasing downfield with a 40 yard dash while trying to tackle an extremely quick, slippery return guy.

I think he deserved his Pro Bowl at least as much as any punter, kicker or other special teams player.
Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig

[i]2006 Cafe TSN Ultimate Salary Cap Playoff Champion[/i]
merc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bowie » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:39 am

No Giants fan will ever underestimate the importance of the long snapper.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby jayday » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:51 am

Bowie wrote:No Giants fan will ever underestimate the importance of the long snapper.

I was waiting to see how long it took for Trey Junkin's name to be brought up...Poor guy, had such a great career as a LS, then one game tarnishes it forever...

I long snapped in high school, it's not as easy as it looks...you not only have to have accuracy, but speed is important as well....anyone who doubts the importance of a good long snapper has never long snapped, and has been blessed with a good one while they played as they made it look easy !+)

Good for this guy if he made the Pro Bowl...probably doubled his salary... ;-D
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby UTLonghorns » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:59 am

No dont get me wrong, thats great the he made it, He probably did get more money. Its just such a underrated position, that nobody really appreciates.
UTLonghorns
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb Supporter

Postby moochman » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:09 pm

I did a little long snapping in highschool. It's not at all easy. I could handle the guy trying to bull rush me, but all he had to do was go to the right or left and I just couldn't find the time to get in front of him. Needless to say it was a very short trail.

That said, this does bring up an interesting point. Should these people be in the probowl? I think maybe it's time for them to change things a little. Heck no body gives a crap about the game anyway. So I'm thinking, why not do away with the special teams altogether? Just give the teams the ball on the 20 and tell 'em you go 4 downs to get a first or the other team takes over. I won't miss watching FG kickers and kick returns are a too high risk a activity to ask team's best talent to do.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby cherrygarcia1911 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:28 pm

WOW! You guys really care about your football.Thank GOD! Typically on a board there would just be alot of stupid jokes about a longsnapper.{no joke intended}Bully for this board!
Good football talk is harder to come by than ya think!
Good for Bartrum too! The guy deserves it.
FYI,ya know he's not allowed to do his "long snapping" TD celebration after he catches his 1 or 2 td receptions a yr?
NoFunLeague in action.Geez.
cherrygarcia1911
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby The Great Gambini » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:28 pm

merc wrote:When you consider what long snappers do - throw a bullet pass between their legs to a 1 foot target located 7 yards away.... and then be quick enough to block the 280lb guy charging into you... and then releasing downfield with a 40 yard dash while trying to tackle an extremely quick, slippery return guy.

That'd be a short snapper. A long snapper is about 11.5 yards.
And you're not allowed to hit the snapper 'til he lifts his head up. Most long snappers (punts) get a free release down to cover the kick.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dadd » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:34 pm

My mistake, I thought he was going as a TE replacement as well as the long snapper. ALA Desmond Clark. Thats amazing that they do recognize long-snapper as a position for the ProBowl.
Considering the small number of specialty postions they allow for.
Dadd
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby merc » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:58 pm

That'd be a short snapper. A long snapper is about 11.5 yards.
And you're not allowed to hit the snapper 'til he lifts his head up. Most long snappers (punts) get a free release down to cover the kick.
Oh baby... that's even more deserving.... does he do both snaps for his team?

Now that I think about it.... I think I used to date a "short snapper"...she never lifted her head up until the "kick" was away? ;-)
Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig

[i]2006 Cafe TSN Ultimate Salary Cap Playoff Champion[/i]
merc
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk