Weak QB class for 06? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Weak QB class for 06?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby skibrett15 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:02 pm

I would expect Bulger to be a very good value QB next year. Someone who you can Get in rds 7-8 that has good upside and a high floor. He is an injury risk, but that line is young and likely to improve. They signed Richie Incognito after a year-long holdout so that could be a plus.

Hasselbeck is my number 2 rated QB this year, not because I really worry about Carson's injury, but because Hass seems to be as good or better as him.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:17 pm

Keyser_WV wrote:
GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:Bulger missed half the season this year! Yes WHEN he is on the field he usually puts up very good numbers but the problem for him is staying on the field. Its not all his fault, the rams offensive line shoulders most of the blame, but i dont want to grab a starting QB who has a track record for missing games over a QB like Brady who has missed relatively few.

It's not Bulger's fault his line gets him pounded every game. If Manning or Palmer had to play with a line like STL they would be injured too.

Bulger gets crushed every game. It's brutal.

If Bulger had an O-line he would easily put up 3800-4000 yards and 25-30 TD's.

I guess you have to call him injury prone but he take quite a beating every game.

I would feel confident drafting him after Manning and Palmer.

Seeing as those two guys will go early Bulger is a better value pick imo.

im not saying its Bulgers fault. i dont have anything against him as a QB. I just dont want a guy that is likely to miss games on my fantasy roster if there are other QBs out there.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 pm

There is definitely a major drop off after Peyton. Of course, like every year, owners will take chances on Collins, etc. I think, right now, I would put them:

1. Peyton
2. Carson (if healthy)
3. Hasselbeck
4. Brady
5. Plummer

If Philly goes after a WR in the offseason, McNabb could be on this list...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby biju » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:28 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:There is definitely a major drop off after Peyton. Of course, like every year, owners will take chances on Collins, etc. I think, right now, I would put them:

1. Peyton
2. Carson (if healthy)
3. Hasselbeck
4. Brady
5. Plummer

If Philly goes after a WR in the offseason, McNabb could be on this list...

The problem with these lists is the dropoff immediately following Peyton. Even assuming Palmer comes back for the beginning of the season I doubt too many folks will want to gamble on him prior to the 3rd round. Last year I saw 3 QBs go in the first two rounds (Peyton, Culpepper, McNabb) but the 2nd QB taken in 2006 might not even get picked until the mid-4th round (and I don't think Hasselbeck should go there really).

I mean really, where would you think QBs like Hasselbeck, Brady, Bulger, etc. should go next year?
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Gnu314 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:35 pm

Late 3rd early 4th but I know in my casual league that 3-4 of those names will be off the board after round 3. (5 or so QBs selected overall). It really depends on the league, but I think late third is a good place for taking Hass, Brady early 4th. I wouldn't take Plummer before 7 though, because he really had a medicore year, I have a LOT of QBs ahead of him for fantasy.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:37 pm

Peyton will go in the first round, no doubt, but I don't think another QB will probably go off the board till late 3rd. Of course, if Palmer shows that he can make a full recovery, he could go higher to someone not scared of a little risk.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby cherrygarcia1911 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:01 pm

I agree.The ONLY QB going into next yr as a "sure thing" is P.Manning.After that,I'll easily wait out a QB until the 4th to 6th rds.Last yr I thought there were only 2 top tier QB's in Payton and McNabb due to the loss of Moss{and their offensive cooridinator and starting pro-bowl center}for Culpepper.So I gladly grabed McNabb with the #6 overall pick in my redraft league.With T.O. it was looking great,especially watching Culpepper{went right after me in our QB heavy scoring system}do so awfully.
Next yr,I put McNabb in the same situation as Culpepper.He won't implode like C-Pep did but he won't put up #'s like he did w/T.O. that's for sure.
I imagine myself drafting RB,RB,TE,then a WR and QB in the next 2 rds.
cherrygarcia1911
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby mattb47 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:33 pm

tcpain wrote:I don't know much about Linehan, but from watching the Dolphins a few times last year, he seems to run a more balanced offense than Martz does. So I would expect Bulgers #'s to dip a bit just like Brady. I also expect Jackson's numbers to rise a good bit. I know Linehan likes to use his RB's, be it in the passing game or running game. ***See Robert Smith**

My order is:

1. P Manning
2. C Palmer (healthy that is)
3. T Brady
4. M Hasslebeck
5. D McNabb

I really don't think you will see a dip in Bulger's numbers. If anything I think it will be similar numbers, just fewer interceptions and I think he'll last the season. I think these improvements will be made because he will not be relied on to pass so frequently. I am quite confident that Linehan will work to establish the running game with both Jackson and Faulk and keep the defense more honest to where they can't just go after Bulger each and every play. Bulger will be less inclined to force his throws when he doesn't have to throw all the time, therefore fewer interceptions.

You saw the full capability of that Rams offense when they won the superbowl with Vermeil a few years back. They were nearly unstoppable and it was because Marshall Faulk was a huge part of that offense....they need to do a similar thing with Jackson and Faulk next year. Run the offense through those guys and everything else opens up big time. Martz never quite understood this and I think it is a big reason why they can't keep a QB healthy in STL. Warner started having more trouble when he was getting killed every play and Bulger is getting hurt now too. I think you can expect that all to change.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby cherrygarcia1911 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:44 pm

mattb47 wrote:
tcpain wrote:I don't know much about Linehan, but from watching the Dolphins a few times last year, he seems to run a more balanced offense than Martz does. So I would expect Bulgers #'s to dip a bit just like Brady. I also expect Jackson's numbers to rise a good bit. I know Linehan likes to use his RB's, be it in the passing game or running game. ***See Robert Smith**

My order is:

1. P Manning
2. C Palmer (healthy that is)
3. T Brady
4. M Hasslebeck
5. D McNabb

I really don't think you will see a dip in Bulger's numbers. If anything I think it will be similar numbers, just fewer interceptions and I think he'll last the season. I think these improvements will be made because he will not be relied on to pass so frequently. I am quite confident that Linehan will work to establish the running game with both Jackson and Faulk and keep the defense more honest to where they can't just go after Bulger each and every play. Bulger will be less inclined to force his throws when he doesn't have to throw all the time, therefore fewer interceptions.

You saw the full capability of that Rams offense when they won the superbowl with Vermeil a few years back. They were nearly unstoppable and it was because Marshall Faulk was a huge part of that offense....they need to do a similar thing with Jackson and Faulk next year. Run the offense through those guys and everything else opens up big time. Martz never quite understood this and I think it is a big reason why they can't keep a QB healthy in STL. Warner started having more trouble when he was getting killed every play and Bulger is getting hurt now too. I think you can expect that all to change.

Very,very true.But Faulk was really "special" when he happend upon the St.Louis scene then.He's not the same now.I do believe S.Jackson is a VERY good RB though and Faulk could keep his legs fresh by only spelling him as you would any other featued back.Still,protection and o-line need to really come together quickly cause there doesn't seem to be a Warner or Bulger behind Bulger.
cherrygarcia1911
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:08 am

Keyser_WV wrote:
GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:Bulger missed half the season this year! Yes WHEN he is on the field he usually puts up very good numbers but the problem for him is staying on the field. Its not all his fault, the rams offensive line shoulders most of the blame, but i dont want to grab a starting QB who has a track record for missing games over a QB like Brady who has missed relatively few.

If Bulger had an O-line he would easily put up 3800-4000 yards and 25-30 TD's.

If Bulger had an o-line he'd have those numbers by week 12. In 2k4 he put up 4000 yards and 24 total TDs in only 14 games.

I have a feeling I'm gonna end up with Bulger in just about every league I'm in next year because I have him way higher on my list than everyone else.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk