Weak QB class for 06? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Weak QB class for 06?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Crimedogg32 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:13 am

I wouldnt draft any QB other than peyton manning within the first 4 rounds because undobutly people will take QBs to early and you can get people like Delhomme, Brees, Hasselbeck. etc.
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:24 am

Gnu314 wrote:Right now I've got this... assuming that Palmer's rehab goes exactly as planned and he has no complications.

Manning
Palmer

Hass
Bulger
Brady
McNabb

Brees
Delhomme
Roethlisberger
Manning
Leftwich

Vick
Brunell
Green
Plummer

Thats in order of sure things, probably 25ish TDs, 20+ that I'ed be happy to take in round 6 or later or are coming up, and qbs that are shaky.

I don't know where to put Culpepper or Collins but I know I won't be picking them come the fall.

It sure seems strange not to see Brett Favre on lists.

An awful lot of questions for so many QBs this off-season. How will Palmer, C-Pep, and McNabb recover from thier injuries? Where will C-Pep, McNair, Collins play next year?
What kind of affect will the new coaches have on thier teams?
Will the kids, Big Ben, lil Eli, Simms, and small hands Smith step it up, or regress?
Will the AARP allow Favre, Green, Warner, and Brunnel to play and how much do they have left?
Which back-ups will get to take a shot at starting? Kitna, Volek, Harrington?

I don't remember so many questions with QBs. Mannings value is on the rise.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Gnu314 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:15 am

Too many picks for Favre. The others all have serious questions true.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby eaglesrule » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:45 am

it seems to me strange that people will point out mcnabb's 2003, forgetting that, a) he had a thumb injury and b) his numbers eventually picked up--especially when you look at what he did in 2002 without TO prior to breaking a leg.

I think he has been pretty damnsolid togood for a while and it is silly to donwgrade him too muchbased upon one good year from hasselbeck etc.

Peyton is the creme de l acreme, brady is mr. solid and mcnabb figures into the mix as well. Palmer was a revelation this year, but is coming back from injury.

I may be a homer, but I am taking mcnabbbefore I take anyone who has only done it for one year or so, thanks.

I might be tempted to bump up big ben a tad too.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Steve_L » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:25 am

McNabb has the capability of being a top 3 QB without Owens, but what's holding him back is his ability to stay on the field. He is very injury prone, and that was proven this year. I'd still feel comfortable with him somewhere around 5th best QB.

Manning
Palmer

Brady
Bulger
McNabb
Steve_L
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby biju » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:10 pm

eaglesrule wrote:I think he has been pretty damnsolid togood for a while and it is silly to donwgrade him too muchbased upon one good year from hasselbeck etc.

Actually Hasselbeck had a great year in 2003 as well. One might even go so far as to say that he would have had a solid year last year if every WR on the team didn't have 35 dropped passes a piece...

I don't think it's that far of a stretch to put Hasselbeck ahead of McNabb with TO gone.

-M
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby eaglesrule » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:46 pm

ok, people can obvisouly have their opinions. But if we are talking dropped passes and faulty wr corps, I don't think anyone had anything on mcnabb. The pre-TO years featured a team that averaged like 13 incompletions per game. I think it is fair to say at least one of those per game were the wr's fault.

Hasselbeck is good, and it could very well exceed mcnabb. But don't make it like they have some sort of equal track record, mnabb has had more "good" fantasy years than him, and more "good" real years as well. I'd have the top five peggedat some order of:

peyton

brady, palmer,mcnabb,hass/bulger
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:30 pm

Uh, what's with all the Hasselbeck love? I had him on my team this year and never really noticed getting anything more than just "ok" out of him.

3400/24 is decent I guess, but it's not really any better in terms of FF points than perennial 8th rounder Trent Green puts up pretty much every year, and is less than Bulger puts up most years despite playing 2 or 3 less games.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby moochman » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:47 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Uh, what's with all the Hasselbeck love? I had him on my team this year and never really noticed getting anything more than just "ok" out of him.

For me it's not so much an endorsement of Hasselbeck but a statement as to the sad state of affairs with NFL QBing. There simply aren't many top QBs in systems that allow them to score FF pts.
Palmer has a severe knee injury and if they rush him back he could very well end up with an elbow or shoulder strain and trash his season if not his career. So he is questionable at this stage.

McNabb, who I think would be the #2 FF QB, will have to prove he can put up numbers without TO, and without protection. Is his style of play going to turn him into an oft injured QB ala McNair?
Can't say that's not a concern.

Bulger has taken a ton of hits and doesn't exactly survive them well. Now he has a new head coach who might not want him to throw as much, or as effectively.

C-Pep is one giagantic ?. Total boom or bust candidate.

The top of the FF QB mountain isn't as much of a lock as it once was, so Hasselbecks stabile setting, in a high scoring offense puts elevates his stock.

The QB situation is setting up to be a bigger crap shoot than ever.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby biju » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:10 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Uh, what's with all the Hasselbeck love? I had him on my team this year and never really noticed getting anything more than just "ok" out of him.

I think Mooch really said it best but I would also like to note that during crunch time (aka the fantasy playoffs) Hasselbeck was stellar.

This leads me to my next point: you're right in saying McNabb and Bulger have better stats at the end of the year even having missed a few games but which ones did they miss this last year? The ones that mattered in the game we play. As much as I like their stats it means absolutely nothing if it doesn't bring me home the trophy.

The best bet is always early round consistency mixed with late round breakout potentials. To take a gamble in the early rounds may produce once in a while but will generally lead to low success in the fantasy world.

;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk