Wish I had NFL Network at times like this... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Wish I had NFL Network at times like this...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Wish I had NFL Network at times like this...

Postby SniperShot » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:35 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=n ... &type=lgns
Report: NFL Network will carry eight prime-time games
January 28, 2006

NEW YORK (Ticker) - It appears the NFL will create a late-season television package for itself.

The New York Times is reporting that the league will place eight prime-time Thursday and Saturday games on its NFL Network, starting in 2006.

The league's network, which currently has about 35 million cable and satellite subscribers, has shown only preseason games in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT
The NFL is richly compensated in television deals with CBS, Fox, NBC, ESPN and DirecTV. ABC's contract with the NFL will expire after Super Bowl XL on February 5.

According to the New York Times, the NFL Network schedule will be made up of games that would have been on Saturdays late in the season on CBS or Fox, or on those networks' regional schedules. The first game will be on Thanksgiving night between the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins.

The games will also be shown by local broadcasters in the markets where they are being played.

Just nine months ago, the NFL completed deals with NBC (six years, $3.6 billion) to carry Sunday night games and with ESPN (eight years, $8.8 billion) for Monday night games.

In November 2004, CBS and Fox extended their Sunday deals for six years.

Sure should be interesting to see this unfold in the coming months.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:34 pm

I saw this on the ticker at ESPNEWS...so there will be actual regular season games on Thursday and Saturday on NFL Network? Good thing I have DirecTV! More games is good!

I'm sure coaches will not be pleased, though...that means a few more teams will get short weeks to prepare/recover for. !+)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby converge241 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:01 pm

figured every provider had NFL network by now ( i converted from comcast to directtv a while ago JUST for NFL Net and Sunday Ticket)

couldnt believe when i saw they get a thanksgiving game though..shocking! im all for them getting the games but those thanksgiving games should still be on a broadcast channel IMHO
Black and Gold through and through
The Six Time Super Bowl CHAMPIONS
converge241
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:13 pm

this doesnt sound good.... :-t
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:18 pm

I'm not a huge fan of the NFL moving toward cable for its games. It would seem they would rather grow the market than shrink it. Taking the NFL off "free" TV seems like a bad move.

:-t
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby SniperShot » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:24 pm

Sounds like it's up on NFL.com now: http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9193472
NFL Network to televise regular-season games Click here to find out more!

(Jan. 28, 2006) -- NFL Network, the NFL's two-year-old television channel, will begin airing a "run up to the playoffs" package of eight primetime regular-season NFL games starting in the 2006 season, Commissioner Paul Tagliabue announced.

The eight-game package will consist of primetime games airing from Thanksgiving to the end of the regular season on Thursday and/or Saturday nights.

The inaugural game of the package is scheduled for Thanksgiving night on Thursday, Nov. 23, as part of a new Thanksgiving Day tripleheader. Games telecast on NFL Network will include pregame and postgame shows.

"After discussing this new package of games with many potential partners, we decided it would be best presented on our own, high-quality NFL Network, which has developed so rapidly that the time had come to add live regular-season games to the programming," Commissioner Tagliabue said. "In the end, we wanted these games on our network, which is devoted 24/7 to the sport of football, and not on a multi-sport network."

NFL Network will make all of its games available on free, over-the-air television in the participating team markets, continuing the NFL's long-standing practice of making all of its games, including the playoffs and Super Bowl, available on free, over-the-air television.

"The NFL has traditionally been at the forefront of innovation and new technology dating back to starting NFL Films in the ‘60s, and Pete Rozelle and Roone Arledge creating Monday Night Football in 1970," said Commissioner Tagliabue. "With NFL Network, we are creating a fresh, innovative programming package that will complement all of our television partners."

NFL Network's new eight-game package was created by shifting Saturday and Sunday games from previous arrangements. In November of 2004, CBS and FOX agreed to extend their packages for six more years. NBC and ESPN last April secured rights for six and eight years, respectively.

"It was decided after surveying the rapidly evolving media landscape that a year-round channel dedicated to our sport was the best way to continue to develop and serve our fan base," NFL Network President & CEO Steve Bornstein said. "This is an opportune time to present these games ourselves and develop new ways to deliver the game of football at all levels to sports fans."

Agreements for all available NFL television packages now are concluded. Following are the rights holders beginning in 2006:

* CBS -- AFC package -- Sunday afternoons [1 & 4 p.m. ET]
* FOX -- NFC package -- Sunday afternoons [1 & 4 p.m. ET]
* NBC -- Primetime broadcast package -- Sunday evenings [8:15 p.m. ET]
* ESPN -- Monday Night Football package -- Monday evenings [8:30 p.m. ET]
* NFL Network -- Special Late-Season package -- Thursday and/or Saturday evenings [8 p.m. ET] (beginning Thanksgiving)
* DirecTV -- Sunday Ticket satellite package [1 & 4 p.m. ET]
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby WickedSmaat » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:53 pm

biju wrote:I'm not a huge fan of the NFL moving toward cable for its games. It would seem they would rather grow the market than shrink it. Taking the NFL off "free" TV seems like a bad move.

:-t

Ditto. I mean Thanksgiving without Fox and the Turducken is going to be different and definately will suck cause I'm sure no one in my family is going to order the Network. Plus, I would want to watch the saturday games too. And I can't get the NFL Network through my provider anyways. This sucks...
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby Gnu314 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:11 pm

I don't mind the other thursday and saturday games but to take away the thanksgiving game from a national audience is really really lame. Whoever thought this up should get their toe nails pulled out.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby gogogadget » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:26 pm

Gnu314 wrote:I don't mind the other thursday and saturday games but to take away the thanksgiving game from a national audience is really really lame. Whoever thought this up should get their toe nails pulled out.

yeah I agree, i'm gonna miss a thanksgiving NFL game for the first time in 10 years...to protest I will not watch a single NFL game all year. :-# Well, maybe not. :-[
"When I know nothing, the possibilities are endless."
gogogadget
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby portisfan24 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:04 pm

Even if they weren't carrying games you guys should get it. That channel is freaking sweet.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk