Martz to Motor City? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Martz to Motor City?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:57 pm

onnestabe wrote:
moochman wrote:A one year deal? Talk about commitment. I wonder how commited Martz can be to this? And how well with players take to a guy who is only a rent-a-coordinator? Heck they quit on a head coach who had 2 years left on his deal.

Sounds like the Fords or Millen have taken a hand and said "let's get a big name so people love us". A one year deal does not excite me at all.

I would think that Martz wanted the one year deal much more than the Lions did. I know he said publicly earlier in the offseason that he wanted to remain a head coach. Maybe he figures he will proove himself (ala Kurt Warner) via the one year coordinator deal, then get a HC job next year.

Thats my thinking too - and I have no problem with that. If Martz wants to show how good he is, then yeah - here ya go - use the Lions - prove it big guy. Make sure every owner in the league knows how smart you are and how much they need you because of what you did with the Lions. More power to ya. ;-D

And merc - the Lions wont spend a lot on a QB (other than a vet like Kitna or Volek - but even then they will get that vet cheaply). There may be reports that say the Lions are interested in Cutler, but thats just a smokescreen - they will not draft a QB on the first day, let alone in the first rd. Considering that Joey was just voted this teams offensive MVP this yr, I just dont think as many people blame the Lions failures on Joey as much as they used to.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby merc » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:03 pm

CB: that makes alot of sense to me?
So, in the Detroit system, Martz will be limited by Joey H?
Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig

[i]2006 Cafe TSN Ultimate Salary Cap Playoff Champion[/i]
merc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:34 pm

mattb47 wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:As a Kevin Jones owner, I hope and pray the Lion's hire Martz. The man is an offensive genius.

Yeah, cause we all know how Martz loves to run the football, right?

All I know is that the man is a great offensive mind. His offenses are widely regarded as some of the most complex in the NFL, and his results speak for themselves IMO. Just look at the success of Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger. He turned two relative unknowns into great NFL QBs..

I think saying he turned them into great QBs is giving him a little too much of the credit but you are right, he is a very good offensive coordinator. More to improve the passing game than the running game but he does give the offense a boost. I might be a tad more worried about KJ than before with respect to touches but I think he'll still be ok. They'll probably involve him more in the passing game which could be a plus as well.

That's the thing though, a better passing game helps out the running game. To put it simply, what is better a 3nd and out where KJ carries the ball twice, or a 10-play drive where he touches the ball 4 times. A better passing game helps the team in terms of time of possession, drive length, probability of scoring, third down conversion, etc. etc.

The real question is whether or not Kevin Jones can sack up and handle 20 carries a game for a prolonged period of time. He was only getting 10-15 per game last season and he still got hurt.
---

P.S. - I think Martz may have a big role in determining who plays QB for the Lion's next season. Martz is going to have to give the grade on what the QBs can do with his offense, and furthermore I think Martz' 1 year deal shows how much authority the guy will have when it comes to decision making on the offense. He's gone after this season no matter what happens, so what is to stop him from doing what he wants to do with this offense. I'm almost positive that Martz was the guy who forced the one year deal, ala Kurt Warner like previously mentioned, because he feels that he is NFL head coach material.

I wouldn't be surprised to see someone other than Harrington at QB next season despite him being the O MVP. (Not like it was hard to be the Lion's MVP last season). Martz will put the best man in the job, even if that means benching the LEAGUE MVP. I personaly feel that the Martz signing is a very bad sign for Harrington. I think a Veteran QB coming in would be the #1 choice for a 1 year turnaround like Miami pulled. If I was Martz, I try to win this year and bump my stock on the FA coaching martket(Martz's contract year)without spending yet another season trying to develop Harrington.

PPS - Roy Williams is going to be a stud, '06 mark it down.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:39 pm

merc wrote:CB: that makes alot of sense to me?
So, in the Detroit system, Martz will be limited by Joey H?

I would say thats accurate. When you consider the complexity of Martz' system, it seems that it would take a while for any QB to learn, and as of right now, I dont know of any QBs available that know Martz system that could be brought in to play immediately.

Chances are Martz is going to simplify his schemes considerably in DET regardless of who is under center.

Kensat - you could be right about Martz and Joey - chances are we will bring in a vet to compete with Joey, and regadless of the rumors, Millen isnt going to tell anyone who should play QB - Millen just wants to win too. If Martz feels that the vet gives them the best chance, he certainly isnt going to get a lot of resistance from anyone - its not as if Joey is a fan fav or anything - we just want to win. The counterpoint to that however is that their doesnt seem to be very many QBs available that could step in immediately and beat Joey out of a job.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby MadScott » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:21 pm

I seem to remember hearing recently somewhere that the Lions may be strapped with Joey this season simply because of the financials involved in his situation. At any rate, I too really expect the Lions to bring in some vet this offseason to challenge for Joey's job. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't Warner's contract set to expire in AZ? I think it was only a one year deal. If so, perhaps he brings him in for the quick fix, if nothing else, until Joey can get up to speed (heaven help him) in that new system.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Atog » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:39 pm

MadScott wrote:I seem to remember hearing recently somewhere that the Lions may be strapped with Joey this season simply because of the financials involved in his situation. At any rate, I too really expect the Lions to bring in some vet this offseason to challenge for Joey's job. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't Warner's contract set to expire in AZ? I think it was only a one year deal. If so, perhaps he brings him in for the quick fix, if nothing else, until Joey can get up to speed (heaven help him) in that new system.

Word is that it's extremely likely that Warner will be returning to AZ. Green hates McCown, and they need the best QB they can get, regardless of age, to have Boldin and Fitz live up to to their potentials.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby MadScott » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:00 pm

Atog wrote:
MadScott wrote:I seem to remember hearing recently somewhere that the Lions may be strapped with Joey this season simply because of the financials involved in his situation. At any rate, I too really expect the Lions to bring in some vet this offseason to challenge for Joey's job. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't Warner's contract set to expire in AZ? I think it was only a one year deal. If so, perhaps he brings him in for the quick fix, if nothing else, until Joey can get up to speed (heaven help him) in that new system.

Word is that it's extremely likely that Warner will be returning to AZ. Green hates McCown, and they need the best QB they can get, regardless of age, to have Boldin and Fitz live up to to their potentials.
I imagine some of that depends on what happens, if anything, with a potential Culpepper trade to AZ though.

I guess there's always Jeff Smoker.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Wizzle » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:24 pm

This is a done deal.
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby mutantseabass » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:51 pm

MadScott wrote:
Atog wrote:

I imagine some of that depends on what happens, if anything, with a potential Culpepper trade to AZ though.

If that happens im done being a Lions fan.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Atog » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:44 pm

mutantseabass wrote:
MadScott wrote:
Atog wrote:

If that happens im done being a Lions fan.

You mean if Smokey started for the Cards? I don't think that'll ever happen.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk