Martz to Motor City? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Martz to Motor City?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Keyser_WV » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:05 pm

Well, looks like Martz backed out again. He said they couldn't agree on terms.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... enDocument
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:33 pm

Keyser_WV wrote:Well, looks like Martz backed out again. He said they couldn't agree on terms.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... enDocument

yup - and now others are picking up on this as well.

Martz isnt coming to Detroit. Too bad. :-/
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby onnestabe » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:41 pm

I doubt there's any way that we will ever know, but I am betting that the term they couldn't agree on was the length of the contract.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:52 pm

onnestabe wrote:I doubt there's any way that we will ever know, but I am betting that the term they couldn't agree on was the length of the contract.

My guess is that it was the amount.

Marinelli is only getting 2 mil per, so they couldnt pay Martz more than the HC. Martz felt he should be paid as much as the top OCs in the league, and in so doing he would have made more than Marinelli.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mutantseabass » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:17 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
onnestabe wrote:I doubt there's any way that we will ever know, but I am betting that the term they couldn't agree on was the length of the contract.

My guess is that it was the amount.

Marinelli is only getting 2 mil per, so they couldnt pay Martz more than the HC. Martz felt he should be paid as much as the top OCs in the league, and in so doing he would have made more than Marinelli.

Im sure that Martz wanted a way out of the contract at any time too. There were too many things working against Martz coming here for it to work out.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:47 pm

effem, never like Martz anyway. Hue Jackson anyone? He will bring his X-men offense with him! :-b

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Humpback » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:59 pm

They said he was asking for 3 yrs. at just under $1.5MM per year, which I'm surprised they wouldn't do. Who knows, the truth will come out soon enough.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Dystopia » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:40 pm

Looks like they might be back after Martz again....

Linkage

The short form:

"According to league sources, the Lions contacted the former Rams head coach Friday, seeing if he would reconsider his decision not to take their offensive coordinator job....

"Martz could not be reached for comment Friday. But those familiar with negotiations say the Lions were offering somewhere in the range of $700,000 to $800,000 in Year One, and about $1 million a year in Years 2 and 3.

Martz’s agent, Bob LaMonte, apparently was seeking $1.5 million in Year One, and a little over $5 million total in a slightly back-loaded, three-year deal. Those numbers present a problem for the Lions since their new head coach, Rod Marinelli, is believed to be making about $2 million a year.

With the dollar figures so close between the two jobs, it would be an awkward situation. If a coordinator is making almost as much as the head coach, it would be like having Head Coach 1 and Head Coach 1A."

(Oh yeah, and Hi!)
Dystopia
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Atog » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:12 pm

Dystopia wrote:Looks like they might be back after Martz again....

Linkage

The short form:

"According to league sources, the Lions contacted the former Rams head coach Friday, seeing if he would reconsider his decision not to take their offensive coordinator job....

"Martz could not be reached for comment Friday. But those familiar with negotiations say the Lions were offering somewhere in the range of $700,000 to $800,000 in Year One, and about $1 million a year in Years 2 and 3.

Martz’s agent, Bob LaMonte, apparently was seeking $1.5 million in Year One, and a little over $5 million total in a slightly back-loaded, three-year deal. Those numbers present a problem for the Lions since their new head coach, Rod Marinelli, is believed to be making about $2 million a year.

With the dollar figures so close between the two jobs, it would be an awkward situation. If a coordinator is making almost as much as the head coach, it would be like having Head Coach 1 and Head Coach 1A."

(Oh yeah, and Hi!)

(welcome)
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby moochman » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:21 am

Welcome to the Cafe, Dystopia!

Why does it always turn into a carnival with Millen everytime he is juggling his coaching staff?
I dont' see Martz making almost as much as Marinelli being an issue. He does have a lot more coaching experience and can help in an area of great need, but nobody is going to get confused as to who the head coach is.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Previous

Return to Football Talk