League admits ANOTHER mistake - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

League admits ANOTHER mistake

Moderator: Football Moderators

League admits ANOTHER mistake

Postby Alkaholik » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:43 am

Not that it mattered since the Hawks blew out the Panthers but....

Panthers | NFL admits another officiating mistake
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 22:03:03 -0800

Mike Sando, of the Tacoma News Tribune, reports NFL director of officiating Mike Pereira said Wednesday evening, Jan. 25, on the NFL Network that officials erred in allowing a punt-return touchdown by Carolina Panthers WR Steve Smith during the NFC Championship game Sunday, Jan. 22. "The field judge from the outside felt it was contact from the back," Pereira said. "The back judge is the one who looked and saw contact with the shoulder, did not see the hand that is directly on the back. When we got on the conversation that's what convinced the field judge to pick it up. "Any contact at that point in the back is really a foul and this falls into the same criteria as a block in the back."

......Let hope they can finally get it right for the SP
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:52 am

The only surprise is that the NFL admitted yet another officiating mistake. That foul was so obvious. I was shocked when they actually picked up the flag.

I agree with you. I just hope the officials don't play a role in deciding who wins the Super Bowl.
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Nilmerf » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:59 am

Anyone know who's reffing the Super Bowl?
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:54 am

Nilmerf wrote:Anyone know who's reffing the Super Bowl?

Here's my inside info again...keep in mind that I have no way of truly confirming this as no link was given by the poster, but I'd bet my pants that it's right. I would think the official story should be on Superbowl.com within the next few days.

Here's your Super Bowl XL Crew:

R- Bill Leavy #127
2nd Super Bowl

U- Garth DeFelice #53
1st Super Bowl

HL- Mark Hittner #28
3rd Super Bowl

LJ- Mark Perlman #9
1st Super Bowl

FJ- Steve Zimmer #33
1st Super Bowl

SJ- Tom Hill #97
1st Super Bowl

BJ- Bob Waggoner #25
1st Super Bowl

Alternates:

R- Tony Corrente #99
U- Undrey Wash #96
HL- Tom Stabile #24
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:56 am

Mercer Boy wrote:
Nilmerf wrote:Anyone know who's reffing the Super Bowl?

Here's my inside info again...keep in mind that I have no way of truly confirming this as no link was given by the poster, but I'd bet my pants that it's right. I would think the official story should be on Superbowl.com within the next few days.

Here's your Super Bowl XL Crew:

R- Bill Leavy #127
2nd Super Bowl

U- Garth DeFelice #53
1st Super Bowl

HL- Mark Hittner #28
3rd Super Bowl

LJ- Mark Perlman #9
1st Super Bowl

FJ- Steve Zimmer #33
1st Super Bowl

SJ- Tom Hill #97
1st Super Bowl

BJ- Bob Waggoner #25
1st Super Bowl

Alternates:

R- Tony Corrente #99
U- Undrey Wash #96
HL- Tom Stabile #24

A bet of Mercer pants? That's a bet you almost can't pass up!

(I will, however. I like my pants)

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby biju » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:12 pm

Does anyone get the feeling the league doesn't mind owning up to mistakes when they know it didn't change the outcome of the game? What would have happened if that was with 30 seconds left in the game and it put Carolina up in points? Do you think they would have owned up then?

I just have a bad feeling the league is setting the precedence of owning up to the obvious ones so that they can calm down the conspiracy theorists that think they only want the Mannings and Bradys of the league to win the big games. Must be nice to have a media darling on your team...

:-t
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mysticphysh » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:49 pm

biju wrote:Does anyone get the feeling the league doesn't mind owning up to mistakes when they know it didn't change the outcome of the game?

I was about to say the same thing. The Troy play had the better chance of changing the outcome of the game, because Indy went on to score a TD and make the game close. With the Steve return, Seattle was manhandling Carolina anyways. But if those two plays had change the outcome, there would be NO WAY they would have admitted up to the mistakes.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Redskins Win » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:51 pm

2 things
1. This guy does a segment on nfl total access where they review calls with dan patrick. So I'm not sure if this an "offical" comment.
2. The guy in question was clearly not trying to make contact. I thought it was a good pick up of the flag.
Refs suck PERIOD. They have no checks and balance system. They are inconsistant from one crew to the next from ref to back judge to upmpire. down by contact is a total crock of shat. :-t :-t :-t :-t
Unless of course all these bad calls works in the favor of the Redskins which 70% don't :-t :-t :-t
Refs and comercials ruin the game of football. :-#
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:23 pm

That's far too many emoticons. Far too many. RSW I agree with the commercial part, but referees are doing the best they can with the system that's in place. It really amazes me the number of challenged calls that actually stand, which i consider a testament to the quality of the officiating.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby mysticphysh » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:34 pm

Redskins Win wrote:2 things
1. This guy does a segment on nfl total access where they review calls with dan patrick. So I'm not sure if this an "offical" comment.
2. The guy in question was clearly not trying to make contact. I thought it was a good pick up of the flag.
Refs suck PERIOD. They have no checks and balance system. They are inconsistant from one crew to the next from ref to back judge to upmpire. down by contact is a total crock of shat. :-t :-t :-t :-t
Unless of course all these bad calls works in the favor of the Redskins which 70% don't :-t :-t :-t
Refs and comercials ruin the game of football. :-#

1) THIS GUY is the head of NFL officials, and the plays in question were deemed wrong in "official" statements, not just on the Total Access segment.

2) Whether you mean to or not, contact is contact and is a foul. There is no stipulation in the rules with something like. "Any contact in the back, or hold during a kick is a 10 yard penalty from the spot of the foul....unless it was an accedent, then all's cool"

3) Agree with you about the Refs. I've seen WAAAAY to much of the refs during the playoffs. They've been injecting themselves way too much into the game. Just let the players play! Don't worry the small stuff. Just worry about the blatant fouls.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk