League admits ANOTHER mistake - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

League admits ANOTHER mistake

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Gnu314 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:10 pm

Wheres Ed Hockule (sp) when you need him? I love that guy.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:11 pm

Gnu314 wrote:Wheres Ed Hockule (sp) when you need him? I love that guy.

Uh, wasn't he the one that made the final call on this? :-o
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Gnu314 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:16 pm

You're right he was.

I don't care though! hes my favorite official. (also it was the back judge that convinced the other guys there was no foul).
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby HskrPwr13 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:30 pm

Until they find a way to rectify the situation after an official makes a mistake that significantly changes the game, it really doesnt matter if the league admits a mistake or not since it wont actually change anything. The NFL needs to dumb down the rule book so that officials can use more common sense and not worry about the technicallity (word?) of the rule.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby gogogadget » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:42 pm

How long until they have fouls called automatically? For example, crossing the goal line while jumping out of bounds or stepping out of bounds during a play, or jumping offsides, delay of game...etc Some fouls just wouldn't work out that way, but maybe if the refs weren't always looking for so much it would make calling the ones they were responsible for easier.
"When I know nothing, the possibilities are endless."
gogogadget
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Redskins Win » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:45 pm

mysticphysh wrote:1) THIS GUY is the head of NFL officials, and the plays in question were deemed wrong in "official" statements, not just on the Total Access segment.

I know who this guy is and i'm not sure saying it on total access quaifies as the league officialy admiting a mistake. Was a formal letter sent? I havn't heard.

2) Whether you mean to or not, contact is contact and is a foul. There is no stipulation in the rules with something like. "Any contact in the back, or hold during a kick is a 10 yard penalty from the spot of the foul....unless it was an accedent, then all's cool"

Yeah from the looks of the guy in front on the kicking was slowing and the other guy was trying not to run him over, though he really looked like he was trying to avoind contact. Did he touch yeah a little. By the letter of the rule could bee seen as illegal contact or block in the back. But I just think it was a good no call.

mysticphysh wrote:3) Agree with you about the Refs. I've seen WAAAAY to much of the refs during the playoffs. They've been injecting themselves way too much into the game. Just let the players play! Don't worry the small stuff. Just worry about the blatant fouls.

Right on ;-D
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jayday » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:14 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:
Nilmerf wrote:Anyone know who's reffing the Super Bowl?

Here's my inside info again...keep in mind that I have no way of truly confirming this as no link was given by the poster, but I'd bet my pants that it's right. I would think the official story should be on Superbowl.com within the next few days.

Here's your Super Bowl XL Crew:

R- Bill Leavy #127
2nd Super Bowl

U- Garth DeFelice #53
1st Super Bowl

HL- Mark Hittner #28
3rd Super Bowl

LJ- Mark Perlman #9
1st Super Bowl

FJ- Steve Zimmer #33
1st Super Bowl

SJ- Tom Hill #97
1st Super Bowl

BJ- Bob Waggoner #25
1st Super Bowl

Alternates:

R- Tony Corrente #99
U- Undrey Wash #96
HL- Tom Stabile #24

-In Tony Reali voice-..."Inside Information!" beep beep beep...+3 points for MB ;-)

Hopefully the refs will remain anonymous during the game...which will mean they did their jobs...
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby biju » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:20 pm

Redskins Win wrote:Yeah from the looks of the guy in front on the kicking was slowing and the other guy was trying not to run him over, though he really looked like he was trying to avoind contact. Did he touch yeah a little. By the letter of the rule could bee seen as illegal contact or block in the back. But I just think it was a good no call.

Now I'll be honest and say I wasn't exactly sober when this happened so I'm going off a fairly blurry memory, but when you say the guy was "slowing down" don't you mean he was trying to essentially stop because the play was behind him? And the guy that "accidentally" ran into him prevented him from getting to Steve Smith, right?

Wouldn't that constitute an illegal block in the back? And not just in a "kinda" way...
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:50 pm

If they had called that ticky tack "block" a block in the back at the time, there would probably be a thread about them apologizing the other way nonetheless. The only difference is then we'd have to listen to a handful of Panther fans saying they would've won otherwise.

Careful what you wish for.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Redskins Win » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:00 pm

biju wrote:[Now I'll be honest and say I wasn't exactly sober when this happened so I'm going off a fairly blurry memory, but when you say the guy was "slowing down" don't you mean he was trying to essentially stop because the play was behind him? And the guy that "accidentally" ran into him prevented him from getting to Steve Smith, right?

Wouldn't that constitute an illegal block in the back? And not just in a "kinda" way...

If i rember correctly the play started heading up field and the panthter guy was slowing to change direction as the play passed him.

Free Bagel wrote:If they had called that ticky tack "block" a block in the back at the time, there would probably be a thread about them apologizing the other way nonetheless. The only difference is then we'd have to listen to a handful of Panther fans saying they would've won otherwise.

Careful what you wish for.

You're exactly right FB. Game over move on. ;-D
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk